The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest - Sinclair ; "Etienne von Wettingfeld" wrote: > When you know all the right keys I'm sure it's a fast way to > program, > but when just trying to learn the ZX's BASIC I just want to find out > what all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

  1. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    "Etienne von Wettingfeld" wrote:

    > When you know all the right keys I'm sure it's a fast way to
    > program,
    > but when just trying to learn the ZX's BASIC I just want to find out
    > what all the commands do, not spend time searching the keyboard.

    On a 48K Spectrum, the keys are decorated with all the commands they
    produce, and they are coloured according to what shift keys you must
    press to produce them. You're not really meant to use the 48K mode on
    a 128K Spectrum, and the manual suggests as much. It is just there for
    compatibility.

    Eq.

  2. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:48:56 +0000, Kevin Reilly wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 wrote:
    >
    >>The moron's a troll, I think he's probably that anagram troll moron or a
    >>relative of him. He's certainly not one of our regulars.

    > What's really sad about 8-bit advocacy wars is the ages of the
    > participants. With most advocacy trolls you can dismiss it as 'kids
    > being kids' but the whole ZX vs CBM thing is something else.

    Well, it *is* one of the most important questions of our lifetimes, up
    there with the existence of god

    Ofcourse, since the c64 has soundly beaten the spectrum every time, I
    dont know why people still raise it!

  3. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:30:54 +0100, Biggo wrote:

    > Peter Liebert-Adelt wrote:
    >
    >> I'm really confirmed, if anyone thinks his/her computer is the best one
    >> ever, no one will steel my SINCLAIR ZX81 ;-))

    > I can't find a single reason why this should be of any interest to the
    > guys in comp.sys.cbm.

    Maybe you want to steal it?

  4. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:03:46 +0000, Paul E Collins wrote:

    > On a 48K Spectrum, the keys are decorated with all the commands they
    > produce, and they are coloured according to what shift keys you must
    > press to produce them. You're not really meant to use the 48K mode on a
    > 128K Spectrum, and the manual suggests as much. It is just there for
    > compatibility.
    >
    > Eq.

    Wow, thats actually very interesting. You can boot into 48k mode (I
    presume), but the keys *arent* marked with the necessary symbols.

    Weird. I love little interesting facts like this

  5. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Simon Scott wrote:

    > Wow, thats actually very interesting. You can boot into 48k mode (I
    > presume), but the keys arent marked with the necessary symbols.
    >
    > Weird. I love little interesting facts like this

    No, even the keyboard is compatible, missing the fashy colours,
    though.
    --

  6. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Simon Scott did eloquently scribble:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:03:46 +0000, Paul E Collins wrote:

    >> On a 48K Spectrum, the keys are decorated with all the commands they
    >> produce, and they are coloured according to what shift keys you must
    >> press to produce them. You're not really meant to use the 48K mode on a
    >> 128K Spectrum, and the manual suggests as much. It is just there for
    >> compatibility.
    >>
    >> Eq.

    > Wow, thats actually very interesting. You can boot into 48k mode (I
    > presume), but the keys *arent* marked with the necessary symbols.

    > Weird. I love little interesting facts like this

    Ah, you have the +2 then
    or +3

    Amstrad ****ed up there. Or rather, got lazy. They gave it a proper
    keyboard, but left off the markings so how the heck are you supposed to know
    what the keywords are when they only put "LOAD" and "RUN" on the keys? The
    proper sinclair 128 had the markings.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  7. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    In article <1199065357.299544@angel.amnet.net.au>,
    Simon Scott wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:03:46 +0000, Paul E Collins wrote:
    >
    > > On a 48K Spectrum, the keys are decorated with all the commands they
    > > produce, and they are coloured according to what shift keys you must
    > > press to produce them. You're not really meant to use the 48K mode on a
    > > 128K Spectrum, and the manual suggests as much. It is just there for
    > > compatibility.
    > >
    > > Eq.

    > Wow, thats actually very interesting. You can boot into 48k mode (I
    > presume), but the keys *arent* marked with the necessary symbols.

    Lucky for me mine has the necessary symbols. It's even easy to take the
    keys off, clean them and put them back.

    --
    Etienne von Wettingfeld [Mac OS X Leopard]
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/etiennewettingfeld

  8. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    In article , SpectrumPriest@Divine.Spectrum
    says...
    > *crap snipped*

    *yawn*

    I had both a ZX Spectrum 48K and a Commodore 64 - both lovely machines.

    /me hijacks the poor flamewar attempt to wish everyone a happy arbitrary
    calendar event.

    Christmas Day 2007 marked 25 years since my brothers and I got our
    Sinclair ZX Spectrum and it sent me down the slippery slope of computer
    geekdom and next Christmas will be the 25th anniversary of us getting
    the Commodore 64 too

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."

  9. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    In article ,
    etienne@xs4none.nl.invalid says...
    > As a C64 user I would like the ZX Spectrum a lot more if it didn't have
    > this "to type a command find the right key" system.

    I remember when i got the speccy i found this rather daunting but as
    with touch typing after a few weeks of programming I instictively knew
    where the correct keys to press were.

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."
    Deewna, BT Total Broadband Support

  10. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Mal F did eloquently scribble:
    > In article , SpectrumPriest@Divine.Spectrum
    > says...
    >> *crap snipped*

    > *yawn*

    > I had both a ZX Spectrum 48K and a Commodore 64 - both lovely machines.

    > /me hijacks the poor flamewar attempt to wish everyone a happy arbitrary
    > calendar event.

    Aye, happy arbitrary calendar event, mal.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  11. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    wrote in message
    > Jonathan Herr did eloquently scribble:
    > > Why do you guys have to start these flame-worthy newsgroup posts every

    so
    > > often?

    > WE didn't.
    > The moron's a troll, I think he's probably that anagram troll moron or a
    > relative of him. He's certainly not one of our regulars.

    By 'you' I meant the flamers/trolls as a group (referring to the original
    poster), not the comp.sys.sinclair/comp.sys.cbm regulars.

  12. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    wrote ...

    > Mal F did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> /me hijacks the poor flamewar attempt to wish everyone a happy arbitrary
    >> calendar event.

    > Aye, happy arbitrary calendar event, mal.

    Arbitrary calendar event?

    Happy New Year everyone.

    And, may 2008 be prosperous as well as happy!
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  13. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Richard wrote:

    > "Spectrum Priest" wrote in message

    >>Our ancestors did worship the divine Spectrum millenia
    >>ago at Stonehenge. It's the ultimate Celtic artifact, Clive
    >>Sinclair was inspired by the gods to create this wonderful,
    >>divine machine.
    >>
    >>The C64, however, is just crap and for us, C64 users
    >>are sinners who must be converted to the Spectrum.
    >>
    >>If they don't want to believe in the Spectrum, well,
    >>then they have to be executed.
    >>
    >>The Sinclair Spectrum is the one and only computer!
    >>
    >>Believe in the power of the Spectrum or die!
    >>

    > Do we NEED another flame war?
    >
    > I don't think anyone from our side or the C64 side is that interested...

    Well its cheaper than turning up the heating and I've run out of Rollos :-)

    [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

  14. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Simon Scott wrote:

    > Ofcourse, since the c64 has soundly beaten the spectrum every time, I
    > dont know why people still raise it!

    Well as a classic large blunt object, it makes such a satisfying *THUD*
    when you drop it again. Just dont beat your poor Speccy with it.

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    .. . . .

    Got a bag of chestnuts to roast here :-)

    [at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

  15. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Ian Malcolm wrote:

    > Well its cheaper than turning up the heating and I've run out of
    > Rollos :-)

    good idea, thanks! cold times will come soon and extend to
    at least mid february...

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: where is the gas tap? (:-()
    --

  16. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Mal F wrote:

    > In article ,
    > etienne@xs4none.nl.invalid says...
    >> As a C64 user I would like the ZX Spectrum a lot more if it
    >> didn't have this "to type a command find the right key" system.

    > I remember when i got the speccy i found this rather daunting but
    > as with touch typing after a few weeks of programming I
    > instictively knew where the correct keys to press were.

    As a 10-year-old boy I found the "find the right key" system quite
    enlightening, personally. If I'd never seen "DEF FN" or "PLOT" on my
    Spectrum +'s keyboard I'd never have experimented with programming.

  17. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    In article ,
    sgillettnospam@diespammergte.net says...

    http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilber...-20071229.html

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."
    Deewna, BT Total Broadband Support

  18. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Jonathan Herr wrote:
    > Just don't drag us all into your argument/chest thumping.

    I don't engage in chest thumping...

    ....I'm more into ****-waving. Spectrum, woo! ******

  19. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Hallo !

    The Spectrum was the ultimate best computer
    of the 80s. He was all over the world.
    I have here a few Spectrum-Emulators for PC.
    I look for good old programs for this emulators.
    Who can help ?

    Torsten

    "Spectrum Priest" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Our ancestors did worship the divine Spectrum millenia
    > ago at Stonehenge. It's the ultimate Celtic artifact, Clive
    > Sinclair was inspired by the gods to create this wonderful,
    > divine machine.
    >
    > The C64, however, is just crap and for us, C64 users
    > are sinners who must be converted to the Spectrum.
    >
    > If they don't want to believe in the Spectrum, well,
    > then they have to be executed.
    >
    > The Sinclair Spectrum is the one and only computer!
    >
    > Believe in the power of the Spectrum or die!

  20. Re: The Sinclair Spectrum is the best, forget the rest

    Torsten maltreated the Keyboard with following:

    > The Spectrum was the ultimate best computer of the 80s.

    Yeah, mine is long too

    --
    ryl: G'Kar