Less than 12 hours - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Less than 12 hours - Sinclair ; til it'll be 25 years since i got my luvvery rubbery speccy *sigh*...

  1. Less than 12 hours

    til it'll be 25 years since i got my luvvery rubbery speccy *sigh*

  2. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Mal F wrote:

    > til it'll be 25 years since i got my luvvery rubbery speccy *sigh*

    And with that cheerful seasonal thought...

    (It's nigh on 18 years since I packed the Speccy *in* - only
    temporarily, of course, Spec-chums! Pretty much half my lifetime ago.
    That's worth a *sigh* if anything is.)

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  3. Re: Less than 12 hours

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:25:22 +0000, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > Mal F wrote:
    >
    >> til it'll be 25 years since i got my luvvery rubbery speccy *sigh*

    > And with that cheerful seasonal thought...
    >
    > (It's nigh on 18 years since I packed the Speccy *in* - only
    > temporarily, of course, Spec-chums! Pretty much half my lifetime ago.
    > That's worth a *sigh* if anything is.)

    Hi Duncan Snowden!

    Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

    My time with Sinclair Computers is exceeding the time without ;-)
    and raising....

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  4. Re: Less than 12 hours

    On 2007-12-25, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > (It's nigh on 18 years since I packed the Speccy *in* - only
    > temporarily, of course, Spec-chums! Pretty much half my lifetime ago.
    > That's worth a *sigh* if anything is.)

    My speccy still rates as the best christmas present I ever had, what a
    marvel it was at the time! Most of my messing about with my spectrum
    stuff since then is all to do with recreating the magic of getting it
    and the months that followed. Must have been the best cash my parents
    ever spent on me. I'd love to go back and live that time again,
    despite the fights with my sisters over who got the telly!

  5. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Ian Rawlings wrote in news:slrnfn336c.oja.news06
    @desktop.tarcus.org.uk:

    > On 2007-12-25, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    >
    >> (It's nigh on 18 years since I packed the Speccy *in* - only
    >> temporarily, of course, Spec-chums! Pretty much half my lifetime ago.
    >> That's worth a *sigh* if anything is.)

    > My speccy still rates as the best christmas present I ever had, what a
    > marvel it was at the time! Most of my messing about with my spectrum
    > stuff since then is all to do with recreating the magic of getting it
    > and the months that followed. Must have been the best cash my parents
    > ever spent on me. I'd love to go back and live that time again,
    > despite the fights with my sisters over who got the telly!

    Got my first Spectrum (a Plus) for 40 from the Dixon's department in our
    local Woolies in a January sale....yeah I was late joining but stayed loyal
    to my Electron for ages until I caved in to the temptation of the huge game
    base of the Speccy!

  6. Re: Less than 12 hours

    I got my Spectrum plus in summer, all games I got for free, so I don't have
    Christmas memories with my Spectrum like others.

  7. Re: Less than 12 hours

    In article ,
    my_email@somewhere.co.uk says...

    > Got my first Spectrum (a Plus) for 40 from the Dixon's department in our
    > local Woolies in a January sale....yeah I was late joining but stayed loyal
    > to my Electron for ages until I caved in to the temptation of the huge game
    > base of the Speccy!

    One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a year
    later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash towards getting
    an Electron.

    --
    "Please be informed that Port 80 is meant only for the FTP files
    upload."

  8. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Mal F wrote:

    > One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a year
    > later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash towards getting
    > an Electron.

    And I'm sure he never regretted *that* decision...

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  9. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Mal F wrote in
    news:MPG.21dd7feabb32a473989814@news.individual.ne t:

    > In article ,
    > my_email@somewhere.co.uk says...
    >

    >> Got my first Spectrum (a Plus) for 40 from the Dixon's department in

    > ur
    >> local Woolies in a January sale....yeah I was late joining but stayed
    >> loy

    > al
    >> to my Electron for ages until I caved in to the temptation of the
    >> huge ga

    > me
    >> base of the Speccy!
    >>

    > One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a year
    > later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash towards
    > getting an Electron.

    The Electron was a good little computer but never got the support it
    deserved until fairly late in it's life. A good PC to do your homework on
    as most schools had BBC Micros which used the same BASIC and tape saving
    format. For pure games the Speccie and C64 were it though (and I did have
    both I must confess!)

  10. Re: Less than 12 hours

    On 2007-12-27, Mal F wrote:

    > One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a year
    > later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash towards getting
    > an Electron.

    I played Elite at a friend's house on his Electron and got hooked, so
    we ended up swapping computers for a month or two, after which he
    didn't want to give back the speccy! I prised it out of his hands and
    I think he bought one, or we may have run into the onset of the
    16-bitters, I can't quite remember.

  11. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-12-27, Mal F wrote:
    >
    >> One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a
    >> year later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash
    >> towards getting an Electron.

    > I played Elite at a friend's house on his Electron and got hooked,
    > so we ended up swapping computers for a month or two, after which
    > he didn't want to give back the speccy! I prised it out of his
    > hands and I think he bought one, or we may have run into the onset
    > of the 16-bitters, I can't quite remember.

    my best mate had an Electron, and owned precisely two games. One was
    Elite, and the other was Rik The Roadie. He still maintains his
    computer was better than the Spectrum AND the C64...

  12. Re: Less than 12 hours

    On 24 Dic 2007, 22:57, Mal F wrote:
    > til it'll be 25 years since i got my luvvery rubbery speccy *sigh*

    It's 24 years here *sigh* *shiver* *sniff*
    Absolutely the best Christmas present I've ever had (indeed, I made to
    myself a present :-)...

    Happy new year to everybody!
    Mentore (forever a ZX fan)

  13. Re: Less than 12 hours

    qaopm wrote in news:Xns9A18EA4077525redefinekeysYN@80.5.182.99:

    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-12-27, Mal F wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of my best friends got the 16K speccy for xmas 82 and then a
    >>> year later he betrayed it by selling it and putting the cash
    >>> towards getting an Electron.

    >> I played Elite at a friend's house on his Electron and got hooked,
    >> so we ended up swapping computers for a month or two, after which
    >> he didn't want to give back the speccy! I prised it out of his
    >> hands and I think he bought one, or we may have run into the onset
    >> of the 16-bitters, I can't quite remember.

    > my best mate had an Electron, and owned precisely two games. One was
    > Elite, and the other was Rik The Roadie. He still maintains his
    > computer was better than the Spectrum AND the C64...

    I'll stay firmly on the fence and say they all had good points, the C64 had
    great sound and fast graphics, the Spectrum had a huge base of
    fantastically playable games and people trying to wring every last drop out
    of it's chipset, the Electron had Elite and Exile and was basically the
    same as the computers you'd be working on at school. Hmmm, maybe the
    Speccy had the edge so I'm off the fence! Still have soft spots for the
    other two though

  14. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Quoting xd18911's message of Wednesday:

    > the Electron had Elite and Exile and was basically the
    > same as the computers you'd be working on at school.

    To my mind (as someone in the Spectrum camp) the Electron was a
    fantastic programmer's machine. Despite the fact that I could never
    afford one, it was the price that made it look more attractive to me
    than the beeb.

    Somewhere, I have a C64C to play with, and more practically, an emulator
    for it on my Psion notebook. I'd like to get into it more now, to see
    what the fuss was about, but its lack of built-in programming support
    means it will never be as interesting to me as the Spectrum.

    I wonder if my view of these machines was skewed by having INPUT
    magazine? It had programming projects for all the machines side by
    side, so it was easy to see the strengths and weaknesses of each. I'd
    look longingly at the C64's graphics and sound, then turn away in
    disgust when I saw what the BASIC programmer had to do to use them.
    And I wondered why anyone ever bought a Dragon 32...

    --
    Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Put "sausage" in the subject of email replies to avoid my spam trap.

  15. Re: Less than 12 hours

    Damian Walker wrote in
    news:Pine.LNX.4.64.0801041145220.16429@nero.devel. snigfarp.karoo.net:

    > Quoting xd18911's message of Wednesday:
    >
    >> the Electron had Elite and Exile and was basically the
    >> same as the computers you'd be working on at school.

    > To my mind (as someone in the Spectrum camp) the Electron was a
    > fantastic programmer's machine. Despite the fact that I could never
    > afford one, it was the price that made it look more attractive to me
    > than the beeb.
    >
    > Somewhere, I have a C64C to play with, and more practically, an emulator
    > for it on my Psion notebook. I'd like to get into it more now, to see
    > what the fuss was about, but its lack of built-in programming support
    > means it will never be as interesting to me as the Spectrum.
    >
    > I wonder if my view of these machines was skewed by having INPUT
    > magazine? It had programming projects for all the machines side by
    > side, so it was easy to see the strengths and weaknesses of each. I'd
    > look longingly at the C64's graphics and sound, then turn away in
    > disgust when I saw what the BASIC programmer had to do to use them.
    > And I wondered why anyone ever bought a Dragon 32...

    I did love my little Elk, I learnt machine code on that as it had a built-
    in assembler, made me brave enough to dip my toes in the water when I got
    my Spectrum. I never did anything mind-blowing though but knowing machine
    language ensured I was never afraid of using computers ever again

+ Reply to Thread