Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!) - Sinclair ; *points at subject* I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler, which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long time ...

  1. Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!)

    *points at subject*

    I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    perspective.

    Ring any bells?

    (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

  2. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!)

    wrote in message
    > *points at subject*
    >
    > I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    > which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    > fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    > time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    > the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    > perspective.
    >
    > Ring any bells?
    >
    > (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

    It sounds a bit like Skull, a game in which you moved through a maze. A
    first-person game. Occasionally, a giant skull would stand in you path.

  3. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely notStonkers!)

    On Dec 24, 8:10 am, "Fred Bloggs"
    wrote:
    > wrote in message

    > > *points at subject*

    > > I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    > > which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    > > fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    > > time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    > > the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    > > perspective.

    > > Ring any bells?

    > > (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

    > It sounds a bit like Skull, a game in which you moved through a maze. A
    > first-person game. Occasionally, a giant skull would stand in you path.

    Oooo!

    That do be looking very similar, though there's no dragons and (IIRC)
    the graphics are black on white, rather than white on black - and it's
    also listed as 48k (but apart from that, what have the Romans ever
    done for us? - pedantic Ed). Of course, I may just be misremembering
    the game, so I'll try and have a blast on this one later.

    Cheers!

  4. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!)

    juice@juice.force9.co.uk wrote in news:fa792f89-7800-4bf0-85d2-
    6769d8b6b185@w56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

    > On Dec 24, 8:10 am, "Fred Bloggs"
    > wrote:
    >> wrote in message

    @l6g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

    >> > *points at subject*

    >> > I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    >> > which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    >> > fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    >> > time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking

    in
    >> > the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    >> > perspective.

    >> > Ring any bells?

    >> > (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

    >> It sounds a bit like Skull, a game in which you moved through a maze.

    >> first-person game. Occasionally, a giant skull would stand in you

    path.

    > Oooo!
    >
    > That do be looking very similar, though there's no dragons and (IIRC)
    > the graphics are black on white, rather than white on black - and it's
    > also listed as 48k (but apart from that, what have the Romans ever
    > done for us? - pedantic Ed). Of course, I may just be misremembering
    > the game, so I'll try and have a blast on this one later.
    >
    > Cheers!

    It sounds like that old ZX81 classic, 3D Monster Maze!

  5. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely notStonkers!)

    On Dec 24 2007, 7:08 am, ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    > *points at subject*
    >
    > I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    > which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    > fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    > time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    > the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    > perspective.
    >
    > Ring any bells?
    >
    > (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

    *bump* (now that MI5 pillock seems to have quietened down - Ed)

    There's been a couple of suggestions, but they didn't seem to match:
    does
    anyone have any better ideas?

    Cheers!

  6. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely not Stonkers!)

    juice@juice.force9.co.uk did eloquently scribble:
    > On Dec 24 2007, 7:08 am, ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    >> *points at subject*
    >>
    >> I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    >> which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    >> fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    >> time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    >> the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    >> perspective.
    >>
    >> Ring any bells?
    >>
    >> (oh, and merry Xmas too - festive Ed)

    > *bump* (now that MI5 pillock seems to have quietened down - Ed)

    > There's been a couple of suggestions, but they didn't seem to match:
    > does
    > anyone have any better ideas?

    Sure it's not 3D Monster Maze for the zx81?
    That was a 16k game, there was an unkillable T-Rex in the maze, the maze was
    randomly generated and took some time and it was presended as a (blocky of
    course) 3D maze with one exit.

  7. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely notStonkers!)

    On Jan 8, 6:41 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > >> I've got some memories of playing a fairly basic dungeon crawler,
    > >> which I'd quite like to track down: from what I can remember, it
    > >> fitted into 16k, the maze was randomly generated (which took a long
    > >> time to complete) and there was an unkillable nasty dragon lurking in
    > >> the map. Oh, and I think it was presented via a 3d-tunnel
    > >> perspective.

    > Sure it's not 3D Monster Maze for the zx81?
    > That was a 16k game, there was an unkillable T-Rex in the maze, the maze was
    > randomly generated and took some time and it was presended as a (blocky of
    > course) 3D maze with one exit.

    Given I didn't own a ZX81 back in the day, it's pretty unlikely!

    This was one of a bunch of games given to me for Christmas by my
    cousin, back
    when I received my first Spectrum (a grey +2) - he had a rubber-keyed
    48k since
    the early days, but moved on to girls and pubs by this time. Not
    surprising, since
    he's about 10 years older than me!

    The games included classics like 3D Deathchase, Sabre Wulf, Manic
    Miner,
    Jet Set Willy... and this one.

    The trouble (in terms of remembering what it's called) is that I
    didn't actually play it
    that much at the time, partly because I've never been that much into
    RPG games,
    and partly because the map-generation took an ungodly amount of time -
    a good
    two or three minutes on top of the actual tape-load. It probably
    didn't help that I
    was then introduced to a relative who'd spent an absolute fortune on
    Spectrum
    games - he had a stack of about 200 originals - stuff like Exolon,
    Cybernoid,
    Outrun, Starglider: an ancient and fairly primitive RPG didn't really
    stand a
    chance!

  8. Re: Name that game (16k, random maps, dragons, definitely notStonkers!)

    On Jan 9, 11:10 am, ju...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:

    > > Sure it's not 3D Monster Maze for the zx81?
    > > That was a 16k game, there was an unkillable T-Rex in the maze, the maze was
    > > randomly generated and took some time and it was presended as a (blocky of
    > > course) 3D maze with one exit.

    [EDIT: smeg: Google uses a variable-width font and hard-wraps
    at about 75 chars. Hopefully this is more readable!]

    > Given I didn't own a ZX81 back in the day, it's pretty unlikely!
    >
    > This was one of a bunch of games given to me for Christmas by my
    > cousin, back when I received my first Spectrum (a grey +2) - he
    > had a rubber-keyed 48k since the early days, but moved on to
    > girls and pubs by this time. Not surprising, since he's about
    > 10 years older than me!
    >
    > The games included classics like 3D Deathchase, Sabre Wulf,
    > Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy... and this one.
    >
    > The trouble (in terms of remembering what it's called) is that I
    > didn't actually play it that much at the time, partly because
    > I've never been that much into RPG games, and partly because the
    > map-generation took an ungodly amount of time - a good two or
    > three minutes on top of the actual tape-load. It probably
    > didn't help that I was then introduced to a relative who'd spent
    > an absolute fortune on Spectrum games - he had a stack of about
    > 200 originals - stuff like Exolon, Cybernoid, Outrun, Starglider:
    > an ancient and fairly primitive RPG didn't really stand a chance!

+ Reply to Thread