Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?) - Sinclair ; I'm an American who is I'm just getting into the Spectrum emulation scene. Is there a PDF version of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming book (the book that comes with the Spectrum)? I have found an html version on ...

  1. Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    I'm an American who is I'm just getting into the Spectrum emulation
    scene. Is there a PDF version of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC
    Programming book (the book that comes with the Spectrum)? I have
    found an html version on worldofspectrum.org, but I'm not thrilled
    with it... indeed, I hate html versions of books. I'd much prefer a
    PDF version. I've searched the Internet but I can't come up with
    one. Is one available? If not, is anyone willing to scan it? (How
    long is it?)

    Adam

  2. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    wrote:

    > I'm an American who is I'm just getting into the Spectrum emulation
    > scene. Is there a PDF version of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC
    > Programming book (the book that comes with the Spectrum)? I have
    > found an html version on worldofspectrum.org, but I'm not thrilled
    > with it... indeed, I hate html versions of books.

    Not sure about the manual for the original 48K Spectrum, but if you
    search on WoS for "ZX Spectrum+2 Manual" you'll find a PDF link to the
    128K +2 manual.

    The BASIC language on the 128K models is more or less identical. (The
    main differences are that a 48K doesn't have the PLAY command for
    sounds - you have to use BEEP - and there's no RAM disc for
    temporarily saving files to memory.) The BASIC editor is very
    different, though. If you want to use the 48K with its single-key
    entry system, read Chapter 7.

    Eq.

  3. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    Not sure about the manual for the original 48K Spectrum, but if you
    search on WoS for "ZX Spectrum+2 Manual" you'll find a PDF link to the
    128K +2 manual.

    Found it. It weighs in at 384 pages! Is that longer than the
    Spectrum 48K version, or are they about the same length? I had the
    impression that it would be shorter (not longer than 100 pages)-- just
    giving a run-down of the commands. Anyone have the 48K manual as a
    spare that they would be willing to part with on the cheap?

    Adam

  4. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    wrote:

    > 384 pages! Is [the +2 manual] longer than the Spectrum 48K
    > version, or are they about the same length? I had the impression
    > that it would be shorter (not longer than 100 pages)-- just giving
    > a run-down of the commands.

    Most of the discussion of the BASIC is the same, word for word, so the
    48K one isn't going to be much shorter (though I think the hardware
    setup stuff was in a separate book). Take a look at Part 31 ("The
    BASIC") if you want to skip the tutorials and just see a command
    reference.

    Eq.

    > Anyone have the 48K manual as a spare that they would be willing
    > to part with on the cheap?

  5. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    Bothmanuals are bulky, and indeed, there is a lot of the 48k one in the +2
    one.

    I don't recall any short overview manual, even the zx 81 one was thick.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    wrote in message

    > Not sure about the manual for the original 48K Spectrum, but if you
    > search on WoS for "ZX Spectrum+2 Manual" you'll find a PDF link to the
    > 128K +2 manual.
    >>>

    > Found it. It weighs in at 384 pages! Is that longer than the
    > Spectrum 48K version, or are they about the same length? I had the
    > impression that it would be shorter (not longer than 100 pages)-- just
    > giving a run-down of the commands. Anyone have the 48K manual as a
    > spare that they would be willing to part with on the cheap?
    >
    > Adam

  6. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    Brian Gaff did eloquently scribble:
    > Bothmanuals are bulky, and indeed, there is a lot of the 48k one in the +2
    > one.

    > I don't recall any short overview manual, even the zx 81 one was thick.

    The 128 came with 2 manuals.. or 3....
    the spectrum + manual was the thick one.
    The 128 manual was thinner covering the 128k only stuff...
    And there might've been a thin card thing on how to connect it up.

    Neither of those manuals was a patch on the orange book though.
    (both missed out sysvars and opcodes, I think)

  7. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    wrote in message

    > Found it. It weighs in at 384 pages! Is that longer than the
    > Spectrum 48K version, or are they about the same length? I had the
    > impression that it would be shorter (not longer than 100 pages)-- just
    > giving a run-down of the commands. Anyone have the 48K manual as a
    > spare that they would be willing to part with on the cheap?

    If you download the version of BASin hosted at WorldOfSpectrum, it comes
    with a windows help file which contains a full BASIC manual in easily
    navigable chapters (thanks to Paul E Collins no less) and also includes the
    command reference from the 48k+ manual, which is probably more to your
    taste.

    The manual is also fully searchable,and if you use the BASIC editor included
    with BASin then you can use the manual as context sensitive help for the
    commands you type.

    D.

  8. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    IIRC my 48K came with two manuals, "Introduction" and "BASIC
    programming".
    I can't check right now because (shame! Shame!) all my Speccies are
    buried somewhere in the laboratory.

    > Brian Gaff wrote:
    >
    > I don't recall any short overview manual, even the zx 81 one was thick.

    --
    | ||_ (o) __ __ __ | Biggo. Strattinare
    | |'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ | Se/quando c'e', c'e'
    | |._/|_|\__/\__/\__/ |
    | /_/ /_/ | *Si vis pacem, para papunzi

  9. Re: Sinclair ZX Spectrum BASIC Programming (PDF Available?)

    On Dec 11, 12:45 am, big...@dplanet.ch (Biggo) wrote:
    > IIRC my 48K came with two manuals, "Introduction" and "BASIC
    > programming".

    Yes, both the 16 and 48k came with a thin "Introduction" and a thick
    wire-bound "Basic Programiing". It was the Plus which came with a
    paper back but just 80 pages "User's Guide" and no more, while the
    *shudders* Amstrad +2 and +3 came with a thick, paper back "Users
    Manual".

    I have them all here at hand for a photographic session.

+ Reply to Thread