WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott) - Sinclair ; Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less than *seven years* in the past? Chris -- +-------------------------------------------+ | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" | | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk | | Your Sinclair: A Celebration | ...

  1. WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    than *seven years* in the past?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    > than *seven years* in the past?

    Odd.
    just checked a thread, still datestamped 1st december 2007
    Was it a particular thread of group of articles?
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  3. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Maybe it was the millennium bug.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Chris Young" wrote in message
    > Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    > than *seven years* in the past?
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > --
    > | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    > | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    > | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    > +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  4. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:26:06 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > > Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    > > than *seven years* in the past?

    > Odd.
    > just checked a thread, still datestamped 1st december 2007
    > Was it a particular thread of group of articles?

    No, it's everything, and it's still doing it:
    01-Dec-00, 00:08:23 (2557d old)n Arrived: bToday, 17:38:40n

    Hmm, maybe it has always been like that and I've never noticed. I
    have WOS set to on-line mode which doesn't work very well anyway, so
    that might be screwing it up.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:26:06 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC :

    >> Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    >> > Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    >> > than *seven years* in the past?

    >> Odd.
    >> just checked a thread, still datestamped 1st december 2007
    >> Was it a particular thread of group of articles?

    > No, it's everything, and it's still doing it:
    > 01-Dec-00, 00:08:23 (2557d old)?n Arrived: ?bToday, 17:38:40?n

    > Hmm, maybe it has always been like that and I've never noticed. I
    > have WOS set to on-line mode which doesn't work very well anyway, so
    > that might be screwing it up.

    Maybe my use of a local news server for storage corrected the date problem?
    (I use leafnode)

  6. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Chris Young wrote:
    > Is it just me or is the WOS forum gateway stamping articles no less
    > than *seven years* in the past?

    Well, they are all stuck in the year 2000 over there, aren't they?
    Usenet is the future...

    Anyway - all working fine over here. I have been getting occasional
    oddness where Thunderbird reports new posts in wos.off-topic-chit-chat,
    only to decide that there aren't any when I actually try to look at
    them. But I think that's just Thunderbird being weird.

    It's giving all the right answers when I do the Dr Doolittle trick of
    talking to it in NNTP though...

    pokey:~ matthew$ telnet news.zxdemo.org 119
    Trying 80.68.91.102...
    Connected to news.zxdemo.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    201 server ready - no posting allowed
    group wos.off-topic.chit-chat
    211 17830 1 17830 wos.off-topic.chit-chat group selected
    head 17830
    221 17830 article retrieved
    Newsgroups: wos.off-topic.chit-chat
    Subject: Re: Q. for those who know lots (or enough) about doggies.
    [snip]
    Date: Sun, 02 December 2007 14:23:24 +0000
    [snip]

  7. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:22:06 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Matthew Westcott:

    > It's giving all the right answers when I do the Dr Doolittle trick of
    > talking to it in NNTP though...

    I'll have words with my newsreader, thanks for confirming that.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  8. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Matthew Westcott wrote:

    > Anyway - all working fine over here. I have been getting occasional
    > oddness where Thunderbird reports new posts in wos.off-topic-chit-chat,
    > only to decide that there aren't any when I actually try to look at
    > them.

    It's been stalling rather a lot in the middle of downloading them all
    lately, too. (Despite being on broadband for nearly 18 months, I can't
    get out of the habit of reading offline.) But...

    > But I think that's just Thunderbird being weird.

    Took the words right out of my mouth.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  9. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    Chris Young wrote:

    > I'll have words with my newsreader, thanks for confirming that.

    If it's that tasty looking bird off Sky News, the one that looks like a
    young Moira Stewart, could you put in a word for me?

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  10. Re: WOS forums in time-travel shocker (FAO: Matt Westcott)

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:06:01 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Duncan Snowden:

    > (Despite being on broadband for nearly 18 months, I can't
    > get out of the habit of reading offline.)

    It tends to be a bit speedier. Reading them online tends to stall
    every now and then, and really screws up my newsreader (a bug that
    will never be fixed). In fact, the only reason I have WOS set to
    on-line reading is because I hardly ever look at it.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |