Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D - Sinclair ; Hello, I have unfortunately no old drive left, but want run my +D. Problem is that newer drives has no switch anymore for choosing between drive 1 and 2. They are ready configured for PC but seem not to work ...

  1. Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    Hello,
    I have unfortunately no old drive left, but want run my +D. Problem is
    that newer drives has no switch anymore for choosing between drive 1
    and 2. They are ready configured for PC but seem not to work with
    Spectrum.

    Does anybody know if modern 3,5" drives can be converted to run on
    Spectrum (Plus D)? Maybe there is some possibility with cable
    select...
    Other question is, if anybody knows which newer or older drives are
    still working with +D. If I got some names, I can search for this on
    Ebay.

    Regards

    Thomas

  2. Re: Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    Sintech ha scritto:

    > Hello,
    > I have unfortunately no old drive left, but want run my +D. Problem is
    > that newer drives has no switch anymore for choosing between drive 1
    > and 2. They are ready configured for PC but seem not to work with
    > Spectrum.

    Have you tried using a pc floppy cable, one of those with 7 or 8 wires
    twisted around in the connector to swap the drive select lines so they
    can use all drives configured as drive 1 instead of drive 0 and drive
    1 as with a straight one ?
    Else try searching for some old mitsubishi 355 or for an old amiga
    1000/2000 floppy drive,they should still have the drive select jumpers.

  3. Re: Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    On 27 Nov, 10:59, fatpig wrote:
    > Sintech ha scritto:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I have unfortunately no old drive left, but want run my +D. Problem is
    > > that newer drives has no switch anymore for choosing between drive 1
    > > and 2. They are ready configured for PC but seem not to work with
    > > Spectrum.

    > Have you tried using a pc floppy cable, one of those with 7 or 8 wires
    > twisted around in the connector to swap the drive select lines so they
    > can use all drives configured as drive 1 instead of drive 0 and drive
    > 1 as with a straight one ?
    > Else try searching for some old mitsubishi 355 or for an old amiga
    > 1000/2000 floppy drive,they should still have the drive select jumpers.

    On the 'net there are some solutions to this problem. Try a google
    search for "S3" and "Floppy": it may help you, though it's not Speccy-
    related.

    Mentore

  4. Re: Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    On 27 Nov., 14:54, Mentore wrote:
    > On 27 Nov, 10:59, fatpig wrote:
    >
    > > Sintech ha scritto:

    > > > Hello,
    > > > I have unfortunately no old drive left, but want run my +D. Problem is
    > > > that newer drives has no switch anymore for choosing between drive 1
    > > > and 2. They are ready configured for PC but seem not to work with
    > > > Spectrum.

    > > Have you tried using a pc floppy cable, one of those with 7 or 8 wires
    > > twisted around in the connector to swap the drive select lines so they
    > > can use all drives configured as drive 1 instead of drive 0 and drive
    > > 1 as with a straight one ?
    > > Else try searching for some old mitsubishi 355 or for an old amiga
    > > 1000/2000 floppy drive,they should still have the drive select jumpers.

    > On the 'net there are some solutions to this problem. Try a google
    > search for "S3" and "Floppy": it may help you, though it's not Speccy-
    > related.
    >
    > Mentore

    Sure I tested a standard PC cable which has one connector twisted. But
    this is not working with +D. However, maybe I must twist other cables
    than standard PC, I donīt know.

    I tried "S3" and "Floppy" at Google, but you must see that Google
    gives in each country different answers. Here in Germany I got a lot
    of S3 Gigaboard offers with Floppy, but not what I am searching for.
    Maybe you would be so kind to post here just some links you can find
    when using Google in your country. Even when I type in www.google.co.uk
    I will be redirected to Google.de because this is the way Google
    works.

    Regards

    Thomas

  5. Re: Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    On 28 Nov, 00:54, Sintech wrote:
    > On 27 Nov., 14:54, Mentore wrote:
    >
    > > > Have you tried using a pc floppy cable, one of those with 7 or 8 wires
    > > > twisted around in the connector to swap the drive select lines so they
    > > > can use all drives configured as drive 1 instead of drive 0 and drive
    > > > 1 as with a straight one ?
    > > > Else try searching for some old mitsubishi 355 or for an old amiga
    > > > 1000/2000 floppy drive,they should still have the drive select jumpers..

    > > On the 'net there are some solutions to this problem. Try a google
    > > search for "S3" and "Floppy": it may help you, though it's not Speccy-
    > > related.

    > Sure I tested a standard PC cable which has one connector twisted. But
    > this is not working with +D. However, maybe I must twist other cables
    > than standard PC, I donīt know.
    >
    > I tried "S3" and "Floppy" at Google, but you must see that Google
    > gives in each country different answers. Here in Germany I got a lot
    > of S3 Gigaboard offers with Floppy, but not what I am searching for.
    > Maybe you would be so kind to post here just some links you can find
    > when using Google in your country. Even when I type inwww.google.co.uk
    > I will be redirected to Google.de because this is the way Google
    > works.

    Ok, sorry. I made some search for the Generalmusic S3 music
    processors, and saw interesting results in some forum. Let me watch...

    Here's a quick translation from one S3 user.

    ---
    I finally solved the problem with the S3 floppy disk drive
    replacement. Using the keyboard schematics and the pin diagrams shown
    on Internet for the floppy drives on the market, I found the
    differences:

    FLOPPY DISKS PINS FLOPPY GEM S2/S3 PINS

    PIN 1 Ground
    PIN 2 Unused
    PIN 3 Ground
    PIN 4 Unused
    PIN 5 Ground
    PIN 6 Unused
    PIN 7 Ground
    PIN 8 Index
    PIN 9 Ground
    PIN 10 Motor Enable A DS-0
    PIN 11 Ground
    PIN 12 Drive Select B DS-1
    PIN 13 Ground
    PIN 14 Drive Select A DS-2
    PIN 15 Ground
    PIN 16 Motor Enable B MOTOR ON
    PIN 17 Ground
    PIN 18 Direction (Stepper Motor)
    PIN 19 Ground
    PIN 20 Step Pulse
    PIN 21 Ground
    PIN 22 Write Data
    PIN 23 Ground
    PIN 24 Write Enable
    PIN 25 Ground
    PIN 26 Track 0
    PIN 27 Ground
    PIN 28 Write Protect
    PIN 29 Ground
    PIN 30 Read Data
    PIN 31 Ground
    PIN 32 Select Head 1
    PIN 33 Ground
    PIN 34 Ground

    The S3 controller selects drive 0, even if the drive is configured as
    drive 1. I exchanged pin 10 of the drive with pin 12, so it works good
    now.
    ---

    FYI, the S3 floppy controller is able to format a 3.5" disk at 1.62
    MiB, using a proprietary filesystem, without using special disks (just
    the common 1.44 MiB). Don't know if it can be useful to you, though: I
    hope so.

    Mentore

  6. Re: Search for Floppy drive to connect to +D

    Sintech wrote:

    > Does anybody know if modern 3,5" drives can be converted to run on
    > Spectrum (Plus D)?

    I've used an Atari drive from a 1040ST on a Sandy I/F and on a Disciple.
    Might work on the Plus D, too.

    --
    | ||_ (o) __ __ __ | Biggo. Strattinare
    | |'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ | Se/quando c'e', c'e'
    | /_/ /_/ | *Si vis pacem, para papunzi

+ Reply to Thread