OT is here an evolution or the God ? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on OT is here an evolution or the God ? - Sinclair ; All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution...... B...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

  1. OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution......

  2. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Bohus Král wrote:
    > All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution......

    And how do you know God didn't invent evolution? (The process, not the
    popular open source email client.)

  3. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Calum did eloquently scribble:
    > Bohus Král wrote:
    >> All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution......

    > And how do you know God didn't invent evolution? (The process, not the
    > popular open source email client.)

    You mean he didn't invent the popular open source email client?
    Suddenly, I have no faith in god...
    (Suddenly? You never did you liar! Ed)

    Seriously, though... do you really believe in a big white haired man in the
    sky who created everything? The very idea is akin to the tooth fairy or
    easter bunny.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Seriously, though... do you really believe in a big white haired man in the
    > sky who created everything?

    Not personally... but having recently studied a bit of astronomy and
    cosmology, it can certainly take just as big a leap of faith to believe
    some of the scientific alternatives.

    Take dark matter-- something that we've made up because we don't know
    how else to explain what's going on. We can't see it, we don't know
    what it is, or even how much of it there is, but we're still expected to
    believe it's there because we can allegedly see its effects. What's
    that if not a modern day God?

  5. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    On 2007-11-24, Calum wrote:

    > believe it's there because we can allegedly see its effects. What's
    > that if not a modern day God?

    The problem with "god" is that he/she/it keeps on having to be
    redefined to be something smaller and smaller, all the stuff about
    sentient beings making us in his/her/its own image is only adhered to
    by the cranks these days. More and more people think that if you
    don't understand something, it's better to try and figure it out
    rather than just slap a "god" sticker on it and start singing. The
    way the god botherers have had to move god further away as time moves
    on smacks more of a made-up mass of rituals than it does of some kind
    of higher knowledge. If it quacks like a fable.. ;-)

    As for dark matter, yes it does seem a tad odd, but that's the way
    discoveries have often historically been made, figure out how
    something ought to work, and then devise tests to see if you're right,
    so far, as far as I'm aware, dark matter hasn't been conclusively
    detected which is why it's an unproven theory. If a theory is
    developed that explains physical observations but that theory requires
    the introduction of something currently unknown, then that's a good
    basis to go searching for that unknown thing, and that's where the
    idea of dark matter appeared. It's a small chunk of a large set of
    equations that reliably model elements of the universe, it's not
    entirely pulled out of someone's backside ;-)

    At least the above is my non-physicist, shallow understanding of it
    all!

  6. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    On Nov 24, 11:17 am, Bohus Král wrote:
    > All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution......

    Yeah, god, right. Why do "believers" think they have the right to try
    and convince of their superstitions? Believe what you like, and as
    soon as you find evidence give me a call.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and no number of
    anecdotes equals data.

  7. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    > As for dark matter, yes it does seem a tad odd, but that's the way
    > discoveries have often historically been made, figure out how
    > something ought to work, and then devise tests to see if you're right,
    > so far, as far as I'm aware, dark matter hasn't been conclusively
    > detected which is why it's an unproven theory. If a theory is
    > developed that explains physical observations but that theory requires
    > the introduction of something currently unknown, then that's a good
    > basis to go searching for that unknown thing, and that's where the
    > idea of dark matter appeared. It's a small chunk of a large set of
    > equations that reliably model elements of the universe, it's not
    > entirely pulled out of someone's backside ;-)

    Let's not forget that, although they don't know what dark matter actually
    IS, they can detect it through secondary effects. (gravitational lensing and
    such)
    | in |good to you so far... |

  8. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    On 2007-11-24, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Let's not forget that, although they don't know what dark matter actually
    > IS, they can detect it through secondary effects. (gravitational lensing and
    > such)

    Sure, but that's an illustration of the point I was trying to make,
    they can't know for sure that it's there, and even gravitational
    lensing doesn't demonstrate that it's there, just that the effect
    matches the models that incorperate "dark matter" so it's a useful
    stopgap until it's proven or some other better explanation comes
    along. It's similar to the chemical models based around electrons and
    protons before quantum physics came along, they were accurate enough
    to be going on with and were the accepted explanation until a better
    more accurate one came along to explain some of the discrepancies.

    Again, the above subject to me being a computer nerd not a physicist!

  9. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Calum wrote:
    > Bohus Král wrote:
    >> All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an evolution......

    > And how do you know God didn't invent evolution? (The process, not the
    > popular open source email client.)

    Does it matter of God exists? What if God does exist? What if God does
    not exist?
    What if evolution is the real thing ? What if evolotion is not the real
    thing?

    Think about it, what can we do if either or none exist?

    How we got here is nothing to worry about, its what we do from here on in.

    Was we an experiment from an Alien race?

    As we can not prove or disprove any thing, then now what do we do?

    I think we each have our own right to believe in what we want to believe
    in. (not saying that any one has said the opposite)

    But does it really matter?

    Its how we all behave, no matter what is or what is not.

    There are things out there that we humans can not and do not understand,
    this does not mean that any thing other than what we understand can not
    exist.

    It is not for us to decide what is or what is not, we do not have the
    right and never will.

    Things either exist or they do not, no matter what we think or believe in.

    Some times we are to damned aragont for our own good.

    You can not see the air you breath yet it exists.
    You can not see gravity yet it exists, you can see the effects of
    gravity, but not any colour or shape, or smell.
    You can not see electricity but stick your fingur in a power point, you
    will soon the get the message that YES **** me, it does exist.

    Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.

    So solely we can not see some thing then it can not exist.
    Sorry for the language, but what a ****ing way to go.

    Is this how we learn?

    Mike.

  10. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    On 2007-11-24, Primax wrote:

    > Is this how we learn?

    Oh where to begin.

  11. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    "Primax" napísal

    > Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.

    Exactly, we do not see the evolution, just the world in the time when we
    live. We are not able to imagine time abyss just for 100 years back, not
    even million years and whole evolution not at all.

  12. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Bohus Král did eloquently scribble:

    > "Primax" napísal

    >> Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.

    > Exactly, we do not see the evolution, just the world in the time when we
    > live. We are not able to imagine time abyss just for 100 years back, not
    > even million years and whole evolution not at all.

    We do "see" evolution.
    In fact, it's happening around us all the time.
    MRSA for example. A strain of bacteria resistant to many forms of
    antibiotic. We see viruses cross the species barrier (bird flu).
    As for more prominent evolution on the macroscopic scale (i.e. multicellular
    organisms), we have fossil records that show evidence of it.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  13. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    "Primax" wrote:

    > Does it matter of God exists? What if God does exist? What if God
    > does not exist?
    > What if evolution is the real thing ? What if evolotion is not the
    > real thing?
    > Think about it, what can we do if either or none exist?
    > How we got here is nothing to worry about, its what we do from here
    > on in.
    > Was we an experiment from an Alien race?
    > As we can not prove or disprove any thing, then now what do we do?
    > I think we each have our own right to believe in what we want to
    > believe in. (not saying that any one has said the opposite)
    > But does it really matter?
    > Its how we all behave, no matter what is or what is not.
    > There are things out there that we humans can not and do not
    > understand, this does not mean that any thing other than what we
    > understand can not exist.
    > It is not for us to decide what is or what is not, we do not have
    > the right and never will.
    > Things either exist or they do not, no matter what we think or
    > believe in.
    > Some times we are to damned aragont for our own good.
    > You can not see the air you breath yet it exists.
    > You can not see gravity yet it exists, you can see the effects of
    > gravity, but not any colour or shape, or smell.
    > You can not see electricity but stick your fingur in a power point,
    > you will soon the get the message that YES **** me, it does exist.
    > Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.
    > So solely we can not see some thing then it can not exist.
    > Sorry for the language, but what a ****ing way to go.
    > Is this how we learn?

    Get a goddamn LiveJournal.

    Eq.

  14. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > "Primax" wrote:
    >
    >> Does it matter of God exists? What if God does exist? What if God
    >> does not exist?
    >> What if evolution is the real thing ? What if evolotion is not the
    >> real thing?
    >> Think about it, what can we do if either or none exist?
    >> How we got here is nothing to worry about, its what we do from here
    >> on in.
    >> Was we an experiment from an Alien race?
    >> As we can not prove or disprove any thing, then now what do we do?
    >> I think we each have our own right to believe in what we want to
    >> believe in. (not saying that any one has said the opposite)
    >> But does it really matter?
    >> Its how we all behave, no matter what is or what is not.
    >> There are things out there that we humans can not and do not
    >> understand, this does not mean that any thing other than what we
    >> understand can not exist.
    >> It is not for us to decide what is or what is not, we do not have
    >> the right and never will.
    >> Things either exist or they do not, no matter what we think or
    >> believe in.
    >> Some times we are to damned aragont for our own good.
    >> You can not see the air you breath yet it exists.
    >> You can not see gravity yet it exists, you can see the effects of
    >> gravity, but not any colour or shape, or smell.
    >> You can not see electricity but stick your fingur in a power point,
    >> you will soon the get the message that YES **** me, it does exist.
    >> Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.
    >> So solely we can not see some thing then it can not exist.
    >> Sorry for the language, but what a ****ing way to go.
    >> Is this how we learn?

    > Get a goddamn LiveJournal.
    >
    > Eq.

    Don`t need to.

    Mike.

  15. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    napísal v správe
    > Bohus Král did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> "Primax" napísal

    >>> Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.

    >> Exactly, we do not see the evolution, just the world in the time when we
    >> live. We are not able to imagine time abyss just for 100 years back, not
    >> even million years and whole evolution not at all.

    > We do "see" evolution.
    > In fact, it's happening around us all the time.
    > MRSA for example. A strain of bacteria resistant to many forms of
    > antibiotic. We see viruses cross the species barrier (bird flu).
    > As for more prominent evolution on the macroscopic scale (i.e.
    > multicellular
    > organisms), we have fossil records that show evidence of it.
    > --

    These are examples at almost molecular basis, but we do not see it on human
    base.

  16. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > All my life's experience leads to belief that here is an
    > evolution......

    Hi Bohus!

    Have no fear about you'r analogies....

    get straight on and don't forget the duble-warm socks, for the Winter
    time.....

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  17. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    I am regardin to other thing. On Earth there are many living beings, but
    just humans are imagining some higher might behind anything. Just human
    forges out, that there must be something behind the events that happen to
    him, but it could be just accident.

  18. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Calum wrote:

    > Take dark matter-- something that we've made up because we don't know
    > how else to explain what's going on. We can't see it, we don't know
    > what it is, or even how much of it there is, but we're still expected
    > to believe it's there because we can allegedly see its effects.
    > What's that if not a modern day God?

    Hi Calum!

    Let's thinks about a dying star, anywhere. A small white dwarf pops up
    after the middle of the crash (the old, biiig red, star imploded).

    Well.

    Who holds it in that area, where the star (the new white dwarf) is.

    I mean. As I take my feet to the ground.... What, or which power holds
    that meantioned new star to that position, and why!?

    :-)

    Kind Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: I even do know not mine ;-) ...

  19. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > equations that reliably model elements of the universe, it's not
    > entirely pulled out of someone's backside ;-)

    Hi Ian!

    !

    because they have so much fear about...

    (ed death....)

    > At least the above is my non-physicist, shallow understanding of it
    > all!

    Quite well!

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  20. Re: OT is here an evolution or the God ?

    Primax wrote:

    > Does it matter of God exists? What if God does exist? What if God
    > does not exist? What if evolution is the real thing ? What if
    > evolotion is not the real thing?
    >
    > Think about it, what can we do if either or none exist?
    >
    > How we got here is nothing to worry about, its what we do from here
    > on in.
    >
    > Was we an experiment from an Alien race?
    >
    > As we can not prove or disprove any thing, then now what do we do?
    >
    > I think we each have our own right to believe in what we want to
    > believe in. (not saying that any one has said the opposite)
    >
    > But does it really matter?
    >
    > Its how we all behave, no matter what is or what is not.
    >
    > There are things out there that we humans can not and do not
    > understand, this does not mean that any thing other than what we
    > understand can not exist.
    >
    > It is not for us to decide what is or what is not, we do not have the
    > right and never will.
    >
    > Things either exist or they do not, no matter what we think or
    > believe in.
    >
    > Some times we are to damned aragont for our own good.
    >
    > You can not see the air you breath yet it exists.
    > You can not see gravity yet it exists, you can see the effects of
    > gravity, but not any colour or shape, or smell. You can not see
    > electricity but stick your fingur in a power point, you will soon the
    > get the message that YES **** me, it does exist.
    >
    > Yet we still disbelieve any thing that we can not see.
    >
    > So solely we can not see some thing then it can not exist.
    > Sorry for the language, but what a ****ing way to go.
    >
    > Is this how we learn?
    >
    > Mike.

    stay calm promax.....