Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix? - Sinclair ; I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same type of rubber keys as the speccy. I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

  1. Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    type of rubber keys as the speccy.

    I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    edge connector project!

    Dicky

  2. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    On Nov 23, 2:38 pm, dickydodds wrote:
    > I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    > type of rubber keys as the speccy.
    >
    > I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    > converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    > under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    > bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    > edge connector project!
    >
    > Dicky


    I am just not sure why you would go to this trouble - keyboard
    membranes are readily available and not that expensive.

    Rich
    www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

  3. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    rwap wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 2:38 pm, dickydodds wrote:
    >> I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    >> type of rubber keys as the speccy.
    >>
    >> I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    >> converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    >> under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    >> bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    >> edge connector project!
    >>
    >> Dicky

    >
    > I am just not sure why you would go to this trouble - keyboard
    > membranes are readily available and not that expensive.
    >
    > Rich
    > www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

    Oh where could we find such a valuable spectrum component for sale, Rich
    of rwapsoftware? )

    --
    link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/

  4. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    On Nov 23, 6:58 pm, Alistair C wrote:
    > rwap wrote:
    > > On Nov 23, 2:38 pm, dickydodds wrote:
    > >> I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    > >> type of rubber keys as the speccy.

    >
    > >> I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    > >> converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    > >> under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    > >> bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    > >> edge connector project!

    >
    > >> Dicky

    >
    > > I am just not sure why you would go to this trouble - keyboard
    > > membranes are readily available and not that expensive.

    >
    > > Rich
    > >www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

    >
    > Oh where could we find such a valuable spectrum component for sale, Rich
    > of rwapsoftware? )
    >
    > --
    > link my boring websitehttp://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    well the ones on ebay are slightly more expensive than the other
    better well-known sinclair supplier....

    Rich !!

  5. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    Its a bit like reinventing the wheel. Most people wanted an add on keyboard
    to get away from the dead flesh!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


    "rwap" wrote in message
    news:ed5d1090-bbe2-4732-9abe-2decd4f77445@b40g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
    > On Nov 23, 2:38 pm, dickydodds wrote:
    >> I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    >> type of rubber keys as the speccy.
    >>
    >> I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    >> converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    >> under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    >> bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    >> edge connector project!
    >>
    >> Dicky

    >
    > I am just not sure why you would go to this trouble - keyboard
    > membranes are readily available and not that expensive.
    >
    > Rich
    > www.rwapsoftware.co.uk




  6. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    Il giorno Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:49:15 UTC, "Brian Gaff"
    ha scritto nientepopodimenoche:

    > Its a bit like reinventing the wheel. Most people wanted an add on keyboard
    > to get away from the dead flesh!


    I d/loaded from the 'net a three pages old article on how to build up a
    fresh new keyboard for the speccy, starting from a microswitch keyboard.
    Fine, easy to read also for a no-solder-expert. Just needs some practice
    and a bit of reworking.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    eComStation Developer Team
    pickup the eCS Demo CD!
    http://www.ecomstation.com/democd

  7. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    On 23 Nov., 15:38, dickydodds wrote:
    > I notice on ebay there are flexible qwerty keyboards with the same
    > type of rubber keys as the speccy.
    >
    > I was wondering, has anyone had a play with these with a view to
    > converting them to the spectrum keyboard? Because the whole thing is
    > under 7 quid, strikes me as a nice little project for someone with a
    > bit of time on their hands!! ;-) Maybe even a simple usb to spectrum
    > edge connector project!
    >
    > Dicky


    Well, I guess the flexible keyboards on Ebay are made for PC with USB
    - connector. There is already a device for connecting PC keyboards and
    it is called PROFACE. RWAP Software sells it in UK and SINTECH in
    Germany (and elsewhere in the world).

    It is not so new, this interface is already on sale for more than 10
    years I think. First it had an XT-connector, but since some years it
    has a PS/2 connector and you can also use a PS/2 to USB adaptor to
    connect USB-keyboards.

    However, in past there we found sometimes keyboards which were
    incompatible with this interface, but far the most worked very well,
    including extra functions like a "warm start" as on PC.

    Regards

    Thomas

    -----------------------
    www.sintech-shop.de

  8. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    Well, thanks for all the posts its been an interesting and informative
    read!

    I didnt know about the proface or that the membranes werent that
    expensive (check ebay - ouch!)- but I do now!

    One thing I would like to say is, I actually prefer the membrane
    keyboard - certainly for using the token keywords as I can type much
    quicker on that than the +2 type keybaord! I wont mention the Spectrum
    + type - uugh!

    Cheers,
    dicky

  9. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    dickydodds wrote:

    > Well, thanks for all the posts its been an interesting and informative
    > read!
    >
    > I didnt know about the proface or that the membranes werent that
    > expensive (check ebay - ouch!)- but I do now!
    >
    > One thing I would like to say is, I actually prefer the membrane
    > keyboard - certainly for using the token keywords as I can type much
    > quicker on that than the +2 type keybaord! I wont mention the Spectrum
    > + type - uugh!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > dicky


    Hi dicky!


    /me ol' BASIC-listings clerk :-)

    Where's the problem with the standard Speccy Keyboard when it works!?
    (I understand what you meant ;-). I can't speak for the long life
    durability of the Speccy Kea'board, but when it works then it works
    nicely!)



    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  10. Re: Spectrum Membrane problems - possible fix?

    Daniel Mandic wrote:

    > I can't speak for the long life


    5678 or 0 were never broken, though

    !

+ Reply to Thread