Minter's Rant: - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Minter's Rant: - Sinclair ; More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless. Looks like he's getting the message...at last. http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Minter's Rant:

  1. Minter's Rant:

    More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless. Looks
    like he's getting the message...at last.

    http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales

  2. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Its a question of knowing your market I fear. People remember Frogger etc,
    even though it was about as sophisticated as a house brick.

    I'm not up with the retro games myself, now not being able to play them, but
    if you want new stuff, it has to be all singing and dancing on huge new
    platforms etc.

    Nostalgia IS what it used to be.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


    "tolls" wrote in message
    news:4ae6c893-e823-459f-b1a6-9a5a28bb0050@j44g2000hsj.googlegroups.com...
    > More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless. Looks
    > like he's getting the message...at last.
    >
    > http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales




  3. Re: Minter's Rant:

    On 23 Nov, 09:11, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > Its a question of knowing your market I fear. People remember Frogger etc,
    > even though it was about as sophisticated as a house brick.


    Yep, agreed.

    Ok, so he's a "Legend" to some (more thorough his eccentricity though
    I'd say), but he's criticising re-makes like Frogger, when in essence
    he's doing exactly the same. To anyone with a passing interest in
    video gaming, Space Giraffe = Tempest. He's built the second half of
    his career re-inventing a 26 year old arcade game.


  4. Re: Minter's Rant:

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:44:34 -0800 (PST), tolls
    wrote:

    >More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless. Looks
    >like he's getting the message...at last.
    >
    >http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales




    It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!

  5. Re: Minter's Rant:

    tolls wrote:

    > On 23 Nov, 09:11, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    >> Its a question of knowing your market I fear. People remember Frogger etc,
    >> even though it was about as sophisticated as a house brick.

    >
    > Yep, agreed.
    >
    > Ok, so he's a "Legend" to some (more thorough his eccentricity though
    > I'd say), but he's criticising re-makes like Frogger, when in essence
    > he's doing exactly the same. To anyone with a passing interest in
    > video gaming, Space Giraffe = Tempest. He's built the second half of
    > his career re-inventing a 26 year old arcade game.


    I can see how people might think his "sorry for trying anything new"
    comment is a bit rich, but to be fair, he *was* re-inventing it. What he
    finds galling - and I can see his point - is being outsold by
    30-year-old games that haven't been altered at all.

    But I reckon - and hope - that when he's had some time to think about
    it, he'll realise that, far from being too original, he wasn't actually
    going far *enough*. I haven't played Space Giraffe, but from what I hear
    from people who do like it, its appeal lies in Minter's deep
    understanding of what makes an "in the zone" game like that tick (not
    the trippy visuals; although they're part of it). I can believe that.
    His games have always been a bit hit-and-miss, but his good stuff is
    absolutely outstanding. His mistake was to apply his knowledge of that
    kind of game to an existing formula, instead of doing something of his own.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Minter's Rant:

    "tolls" wrote:

    > More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless.
    > Looks like he's getting the message...at last.
    > http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales


    "One-trick pony realises more tricks required, throws Internet
    tantrum."

    Eq.



  7. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Lister wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:44:34 -0800 (PST), tolls
    > wrote:
    >> http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales

    >
    > It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!


    Ha ha, get it again. It'll piss ol' Joe Camel off something rotten.

  8. Re: Minter's Rant:

    tolls wrote:

    > Ok, so he's a "Legend" to some (more thorough his eccentricity though
    > I'd say), but he's criticising re-makes like Frogger, when in essence
    > he's doing exactly the same. To anyone with a passing interest in
    > video gaming, Space Giraffe = Tempest. He's built the second half of
    > his career re-inventing a 26 year old arcade game.


    and?

    do you know any tickles and tackles of the First??
    (do you?)


    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  9. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Lister wrote:

    > It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!


    I am pretty sure about that



    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  10. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Yeah, why go to antelope when camels have served him well in the past!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________


    "tolls" wrote in message
    news:25e863c4-dd2d-4dc1-8686-c56c0dd08962@r31g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
    > On 23 Nov, 09:11, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    >> Its a question of knowing your market I fear. People remember Frogger
    >> etc,
    >> even though it was about as sophisticated as a house brick.

    >
    > Yep, agreed.
    >
    > Ok, so he's a "Legend" to some (more thorough his eccentricity though
    > I'd say), but he's criticising re-makes like Frogger, when in essence
    > he's doing exactly the same. To anyone with a passing interest in
    > video gaming, Space Giraffe = Tempest. He's built the second half of
    > his career re-inventing a 26 year old arcade game.
    >




  11. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Lister wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:44:34 -0800 (PST), tolls
    > wrote:
    >
    >> More C64 than Speccy related really, but topical nevertheless. Looks
    >> like he's getting the message...at last.
    >>
    >> http://www.developmag.com/news/28844...-Giraffe-sales

    >
    > It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!


    The ZX81 version was apparently the first licenced computer conversion
    of an arcade game ever. Crikey, eh?

    --
    Duncan Snowden.


  12. Re: Minter's Rant:

    On 23 Nov, 19:18, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > tolls wrote:
    > > On 23 Nov, 09:11, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > >> Its a question of knowing your market I fear. People remember Frogger etc,
    > >> even though it was about as sophisticated as a house brick.

    >
    > > Yep, agreed.

    >
    > > Ok, so he's a "Legend" to some (more thorough his eccentricity though
    > > I'd say), but he's criticising re-makes like Frogger, when in essence
    > > he's doing exactly the same. To anyone with a passing interest in
    > > video gaming, Space Giraffe = Tempest. He's built the second half of
    > > his career re-inventing a 26 year old arcade game.

    >
    > I can see how people might think his "sorry for trying anything new"
    > comment is a bit rich, but to be fair, he *was* re-inventing it. What he
    > finds galling - and I can see his point - is being outsold by
    > 30-year-old games that haven't been altered at all.
    >
    > But I reckon - and hope - that when he's had some time to think about
    > it, he'll realise that, far from being too original, he wasn't actually
    > going far *enough*. I haven't played Space Giraffe, but from what I hear
    > from people who do like it, its appeal lies in Minter's deep
    > understanding of what makes an "in the zone" game like that tick (not
    > the trippy visuals; although they're part of it). I can believe that.
    > His games have always been a bit hit-and-miss, but his good stuff is
    > absolutely outstanding. His mistake was to apply his knowledge of that
    > kind of game to an existing formula, instead of doing something of his own.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan Snowden.


    Agreed. Just check out Laser Zone on the Speccy. Fast and furious!

    Russ

  13. Re: Minter's Rant:

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:14:34 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Duncan Snowden:

    > > It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!

    >
    > The ZX81 version was apparently the first licenced computer conversion
    > of an arcade game ever. Crikey, eh?


    Really? It's a pretty good conversion too!

    Chris


    --
    +-------------------------------------------+
    | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+

    DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

  14. Re: Minter's Rant:

    Chris Young wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:14:34 +0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Duncan Snowden:
    >
    >>> It mentions Frogger. I used to have that!

    >> The ZX81 version was apparently the first licenced computer conversion
    >> of an arcade game ever. Crikey, eh?

    >
    > Really? It's a pretty good conversion too!


    Well, I said "apparently". It's up to you whether to trust the word of
    Stuart "Hoots, whaur's ma joystick?" Campbell or not.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

+ Reply to Thread