Early Sinclair Engineering - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Early Sinclair Engineering - Sinclair ; Rick has been enjoying the sun but also found time to upload some early ZX80 and ZX81 designs. I particularly liked this doodle for the ZX81 / TS1000 keyboard or the 'ZX80 II' as it was known back then. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086...7601627816164/ ...

  1. Early Sinclair Engineering

    Rick has been enjoying the sun but also found time to upload some
    early ZX80 and ZX81 designs.

    I particularly liked this doodle for the ZX81 / TS1000 keyboard or the
    'ZX80 II' as it was known back then.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086...7601627816164/

    Notice that Steven Vickers had developed READ DATA and RESTORE
    commands for the 8K ROM.
    These were removed to make room for the ZX Printer routines in the
    ZX81. There are some pics of that too and the flat screen display
    which was tiny though readable. I liked the picture of St. Ives Mill
    in Cambridge where the ZX80 and NewBrain were hatched. The full set is
    here

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086...7601627816164/

    and the Goodwood set is quite glamourous.

    --
    G.

  2. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    Impressive. The only way I know how to save those pics is with
    PrintScreen. Time to google a little bit.

  3. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    On Sep 2, 11:21 pm, zxbruno wrote:
    > Impressive. The only way I know how to save those pics is with
    > PrintScreen. Time to google a little bit.

    It is a very enjoyable set. To save any picture select 'All Sizes" and
    a save option will appear next to your selection e.g.

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...57601627816164

    --
    G.

  4. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    On Sep 2, 11:21 pm, zxbruno wrote:
    > Impressive.

    It's worth noting that the keyboard overlay shown in the black-and-
    white pictures 3 & 4 is for the prototype ZX81 / TS1000 keyboard. It
    has READ, DATA, RESTORE and DRAW and UNDRAW, SQRT instead of SQR. It
    was shown to the public at the October 1980 PCW show at Olympia.
    One ROM and overlay was sent to the guys at LINSAC who reproduced the
    overlay in a book.
    Another set was sent to SYNTAX magazine in the USA who previewed the
    BASIC in November 1980
    (it had PRINT TO to format number printing). The keyboard overlay and
    ROM then disappeared without trace some commands e.g. READ, DATA and
    RESTORE appearing on the ZX Spectrum and TS-2068 some years later. The
    overlay that was supplied to ZX80 users had the LPRINT, LLIST and COPY
    commands we all love and, because it was done in a hurry, a bug that
    required rectification.

    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...57601627816164

    --
    G.

  5. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > Notice that Steven Vickers had developed READ DATA and RESTORE
    > commands for the 8K ROM.
    > These were removed to make room for the ZX Printer routines in the
    > ZX81.

    I think that's one of the few things that were already known. Didn't SU
    or someone have a pre-release model to review with those commands? (Ah.
    As you were. I've just read your post further down this thread. American
    mag. I knew it was something like that.)

    "ZX80 II"? Now that would have been confusing.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    On Sep 2, 10:13 pm, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > Rick has been enjoying the sun but also found time to upload some
    > early ZX80 and ZX81 designs.
    >
    > I particularly liked this doodle for the ZX81 / TS1000 keyboard or the
    > 'ZX80 II' as it was known back then.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086...set-7215760162...
    >
    > Notice that Steven Vickers had developed READ DATA and RESTORE
    > commands for the 8K ROM.
    > These were removed to make room for the ZX Printer routines in the
    > ZX81. There are some pics of that too and the flat screen display
    > which was tiny though readable. I liked the picture of St. Ives Mill
    > in Cambridge where the ZX80 and NewBrain were hatched. The full set is
    > here
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9574086...7601627816164/
    >
    > and the Goodwood set is quite glamourous.
    >
    > --
    > G.

    Those keys are great. People just don't use colours like that
    anymore! Fantastic. Okay, so who's man enough to make a working mock-
    up?

  7. Re: Early Sinclair Engineering

    On Sep 2, 6:09 pm, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > To save any picture select 'All Sizes" and
    > a save option will appear next to your selection e.g.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread