Oh Yes! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Oh Yes! - Sinclair ; As August draws to a close it's time for the October edition of PC Plus to go on sale. The magazine is in the shops now and has an exclusive interview with Sir Clive Sinclair. Parallel computing, large wafers, Ivor ...

  1. Oh Yes!

    As August draws to a close it's time for the October edition of PC
    Plus to go on sale.
    The magazine is in the shops now and has an exclusive interview with
    Sir Clive Sinclair.
    Parallel computing, large wafers, Ivor Catt, consumer prices -

    http://www.tech.co.uk/digital-home/g...lel-processing

  2. Re: Oh Yes!

    What a pity nobody could make a machine that has all the machines of the
    mid 80s built in on rom and software emulation complete with hardware
    interfaces for tape. One could relive all on one machine.

    I could not, but if I could see, i'd be first in line for one. At present
    its all emulators with differing operation, no commonality of interface
    etc. Still, I suppose it is the best we will have.

    Is there a machine not emulated>

    OK, probably a bad question fto ask on a Sinclair group.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote in message
    news:1188495625.984603.148060@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > As August draws to a close it's time for the October edition of PC
    > Plus to go on sale.
    > The magazine is in the shops now and has an exclusive interview with
    > Sir Clive Sinclair.
    > Parallel computing, large wafers, Ivor Catt, consumer prices -
    >
    > http://www.tech.co.uk/digital-home/g...lel-processing

  3. Re: Oh Yes!

    Well, the Wii has a bloody good go at it by including the ability to play
    Gamecube, N64, Super NES, Megadrive, MSX, PC Engine, NES and (soon,
    supposedly) NeoGeo and C64 games.

    So much for Nintendo declaring emulation illegal!

    >What a pity nobody could make a machine that has all the machines of the
    >mid 80s built in on rom and software emulation complete with hardware
    >interfaces for tape. One could relive all on one machine.
    >
    >I could not, but if I could see, i'd be first in line for one. At present
    >its all emulators with differing operation, no commonality of interface
    >etc. Still, I suppose it is the best we will have.
    >
    >Is there a machine not emulated>
    >
    >OK, probably a bad question fto ask on a Sinclair group.
    >
    >Brian

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
    Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

  4. Re: Oh Yes!

    deKay wrote:

    > Well, the Wii has a bloody good go at it by including the ability to play
    > Gamecube, N64, Super NES, Megadrive, MSX, PC Engine, NES and (soon,
    > supposedly) NeoGeo and C64 games.

    The Amiga 500 was rumoured before it came out, too. Although given the
    state of Amiga Inc. these days, I'm not entirely surprised nothing came
    of it.

    > So much for Nintendo declaring emulation illegal!

    It's illegal for everyone else. Or something.

    PC Plus: sounds good. I'll have to look out for that.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  5. Re: Oh Yes!

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 30 Aug
    2007 22:43:49 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk Duncan Snowden fornis do marikano
    es bono tan el:

    >PC Plus: sounds good. I'll have to look out for that.

    I've got it here if anyone wants a scan.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
    Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
    "Zomoniac is wrong"

  6. Re: Oh Yes!

    I know someone who was working on a single machine to support all of
    the Z80 based computers of the 1980s. The Spectrum SE manages to
    support a number of them in emulation (ZX80, ZX81, Jupiter Ace,
    Spectrum 48, Spectrum 128, Timex 2068, Galaksija, Videopac/Odyssey 2,
    Apple I) and also runs BBC Basic, and it does look as if that might
    actually get a limited production run. The other alternative is the
    C=One configurable computer, which can be pretty much any machine you
    want as long you're willing to write the core for it. Currently it
    supports C64 and CPC.

    On Aug 30, 8:02 pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
    > What a pity nobody could make a machine that has all the machines of the
    > mid 80s built in on rom and software emulation complete with hardware
    > interfaces for tape. One could relive all on one machine.

  7. Re: Oh Yes!

    Wii is a bloody stupid name for a games console or indeed anything.

    Why not call it a more eye catching name.

    The con Soul or something.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    news:46d743df$0$1343$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...
    > deKay wrote:
    >
    >> Well, the Wii has a bloody good go at it by including the ability to play
    >> Gamecube, N64, Super NES, Megadrive, MSX, PC Engine, NES and (soon,
    >> supposedly) NeoGeo and C64 games.

    > The Amiga 500 was rumoured before it came out, too. Although given the
    > state of Amiga Inc. these days, I'm not entirely surprised nothing came
    > of it.
    >
    >> So much for Nintendo declaring emulation illegal!

    > It's illegal for everyone else. Or something.
    >
    > PC Plus: sounds good. I'll have to look out for that.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan Snowden.

  8. Re: Oh Yes!

    deKay wrote:
    > Well, the Wii has a bloody good go at it by including the ability to play
    > Gamecube, N64, Super NES, Megadrive, MSX, PC Engine, NES and (soon,
    > supposedly) NeoGeo and C64 games.

    I notice in today's Times that the Wii has sold a million in the UK
    alone since its launch 38 weeks ago.
    That is similar to the ZX Spectrum allowing for the fact that
    production for the latter did not start immediately the machine was
    announced although it took about 40 weeks for a million international
    sales. I wonder if they will make a black Wii to celebrate or get
    Asprey's to make a gold one.

    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2356725.ece

  9. Re: Oh Yes!

    Well, everyone thought that when it came out, but how many people think so
    now? Very few. The thing is, in other languages (such as French) "Wii" has
    much more positive connotations, and it's only really the UK (and perhaps Oz)
    that see any real negatives (Wii = urine).

    Nintendo have cited "we" as in "us" (for its "party game" appeal), "wee" as in
    "small" (because it is), "whee" as in "yay!" (it's exciting, or something),
    and so on. The name "Wii" also pairs up with "Mii", the name for your avatars
    on the console.

    Of course, the geordies got it all wrong thinking it was called the "why-aye",
    and my mum though it was the "Double-you two".

    >Wii is a bloody stupid name for a games console or indeed anything.
    >
    >Why not call it a more eye catching name.
    >
    >The con Soul or something.
    >
    >Brian

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
    Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
    "Zomoniac is wrong"

  10. Re: Oh Yes!

    deKay wrote:

    > Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 30 Aug
    > 2007 22:43:49 +0100, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    > yawatina tan reek esk Duncan Snowden fornis do marikano
    > es bono tan el:
    >
    >> PC Plus: sounds good. I'll have to look out for that.

    > I've got it here if anyone wants a scan.

    I'll see if I can find the mag first, ta. The interweb's good and all
    that, but you can't beat sitting on the bog with a pile of dead trees.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  11. Re: Oh Yes!

    deKay wrote:

    > Of course, the geordies got it all wrong thinking it was called the "why-aye",
    > and my mum though it was the "Double-you two".

    My mum thought it was "W.I.I.". There's something depressing about
    finding out that your mum has played a new console before you have.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  12. Re: Oh Yes!

    Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > The interweb's good and all that, but you can't beat sitting on the bog with
    > a pile of dead trees.

    Which I have now done (you'll all be pleased to hear, no doubt).

    I loved this, on wafer-scale integration:

    SCS: It's how computers ought to be made, to this day, and it's just
    bloody stupid that they're not. [...]all this time later,
    computing hasn't got anywhere.

    PCP: Steady on, we've now got dual-core.

    SCS: (Laughs) Quad-core now, too. Leaping ahead. Pathetic!

    Heheheh!

    PCP: Is there any chance of seeing "Sinclair" back on a computer?

    SCS: Yes, I keep thinking about it... I'd love to do one, because
    there's the opportunity to do so much better than is being done
    at the moment.

    Go on, Uncle Sir Clive, do it! We'd all buy one, wouldn't we, lads?
    Yeah, 'course we would!

    Didn't know Steve Wozniak was a fan, either. Although I suppose it makes
    sense when you think about it.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

    "I'm an inventor, someone who makes for 10p what any damn fool can make
    for a pound" - Sir Clive Sinclair

  13. Re: Oh Yes!

    On Aug 31, 11:35 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > deKay wrote:
    > > Of course, the geordies got it all wrong thinking it was called the "why-aye",
    > > and my mum though it was the "Double-you two".

    > My mum thought it was "W.I.I.".

    It is. Wii is really short for Women's Institute Initiative. While you
    play games on the console, subliminal messages instruct you to knit,
    bake cakes, and arrange flowers.

  14. Re: Oh Yes!

    Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > Didn't know Steve Wozniak was a fan, either. Although I suppose it makes
    > sense when you think about it.

    They had an interview with "Woz" a few months back, and he enthused
    about Sir Clive at some length.

  15. Re: Oh Yes!

    OwenBot wrote:

    > It is. Wii is really short for Women's Institute Initiative. While you
    > play games on the console, subliminal messages instruct you to knit,
    > bake cakes, and arrange flowers.

    Well, two of those games exist for it already...

+ Reply to Thread