Target; 2006 - v1.3 - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Target; 2006 - v1.3 - Sinclair ; Hello! I've just uploaded a new version of popular beat-'em-up Target; 2006. (For those of you who haven't heard of it - it's a remake of the Spectrum version of Target; Renegade for up to six players.) There are some ...

  1. Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Hello!

    I've just uploaded a new version of popular beat-'em-up Target; 2006. (For
    those of you who haven't heard of it - it's a remake of the Spectrum version
    of Target; Renegade for up to six players.) There are some bug fixes, and a
    'soften' mode to blur the graphics (for those of you with giant monitors or
    who don't like pixels) and a proper Spanish translation and some other
    things too.

    Most importantly, there's a Linux version (no thanks to Bob!), which may or
    may not be horribly broken. It certainly works in windowed mode (-w as an
    option, as in './Target2006 -w') but when I try it in full-screen it hangs
    my PC. But then, everything full-screen hangs my PC. (I'll be switching from
    Mandriva to Fedora just as soon as I get a couple of free days to do it.)
    So, I'm assuming it'll all work great on everybody else's machines, and I'm
    hoping one of you won't mind trying it out to set my mind at ease.

    And finally here's the link:
    http://www.ys3.org/?page_id=2

    Cheers,
    Nathan
    --
    YS3 - It's not that bad, really.
    http://www.ys3.org/

  2. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    "Nathan Cross" napísal v správe
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've just uploaded a new version of popular beat-'em-up Target; 2006. (For
    > those of you who haven't heard of it - it's a remake of the Spectrum
    > version
    > of Target; Renegade for up to six players.) There are some bug fixes, and
    > 'soften' mode to blur the graphics (for those of you with giant monitors
    > or
    > who don't like pixels) and a proper Spanish translation and some other
    > things too.
    >

    > And finally here's the link:
    > http://www.ys3.org/?page_id=2

    Very nice! When the game is over, I don't know what to do. I just press
    escape and quit. I don't know what to press to continue game.

  3. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Nathan Cross wrote:

    > Hello!

    Hello!

    > Most importantly, there's a Linux version (no thanks to Bob!), which may or
    > may not be horribly broken. It certainly works in windowed mode (-w as an
    > option, as in './Target2006 -w') but when I try it in full-screen it hangs
    > my PC. But then, everything full-screen hangs my PC. (I'll be switching from
    > Mandriva to Fedora just as soon as I get a couple of free days to do it.)
    > So, I'm assuming it'll all work great on everybody else's machines, and I'm
    > hoping one of you won't mind trying it out to set my mind at ease.

    Woohoo!

    > $ ./Target2006 -w
    > zsh: permission denied: ./Target2006

    Okey dokey. Give it executable permission, and...

    > $ ./Target2006 -w
    > ./Target2006: error while loading shared libraries: liballeg.so.4.2:

    Ah. That'll be Allegro, I expect (you might want to mention that in the
    readme). Okay...

    > # pacman -S allegro

    .... tum-te-tum-te-tum ...

    > checking package integrity... done.
    > cleaning up... done.
    > (1/1) checking for file conflicts [#####################] 100%
    > (1/1) installing allegro [#####################] 100%

    Yay Arch Linux! (Seriously, I've become a mad raving zealot since
    installing this distro back in the spring; it's really quite pathetic to
    behold.) Alrighty then. Here we go...

    > $ ./Target2006 -w
    > ./Target2006: error while loading shared libraries: libcgui.so: cannot

    Poo. Now I'm stuck. libcgui? No hits on Google or anything.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On 25-Aug-2007, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Bohus_Kr=E1l?= wrote:

    > Very nice! When the game is over, I don't know what to do. I just press
    > escape and quit. I don't know what to press to continue game.

    It'll probably give you the 'enter score' bit, where you use up, down and
    fire to cycle through and pick letters. There's an E/D character, which will
    finish entering your name. And then you hold down fire to continue playing
    with three shiny new lives.

    I should probably have made it clear what happens in the readme. Tch.

    Nat
    --
    YS3 - It's not that bad, really.
    http://www.ys3.org/

  5. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On 26-Aug-2007, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > > $ ./Target2006 -w
    > > ./Target2006: error while loading shared libraries: libcgui.so: cannot
    > > open shared object file: No such file or directory

    > Poo. Now I'm stuck. libcgui? No hits on Google or anything.

    Ah, I knew I'd bugger it up somewhere. CGUI is an Allegro GUI library that
    I'm only using for it's rather nice multi-language text support. I'll upload
    a new version tomorrow morning with all the unusual .so files included. (I
    won't do it now because I'm under the influence, and will almost certainly
    bugger it up.)

    Thanks!

    Nathan
    --
    YS3 - It's not that bad, really.
    http://www.ys3.org/

  6. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:24:59 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Nathan Cross:

    > Hm. I have been thinking about the whole open source thing. But the source
    > for Target; 2006 is truly awful in several places (although I'm not a
    > long-int-is-32-bit person though - ints are 32 bit as well, so why use
    > long?) and mostly uncommented, so I'd be a bit embarrassed to release it.

    ints are 8-bit, Shirley? Although according to Wikipedia, they are
    16-bit (unless you're using something dodgy like C#). Oh, who cares?
    I always use "long" anyway.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  7. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=libcgui; sixth result.

    Cor. You're right. I *swear* I did exactly the same search last night
    and got nothing. Maybe the internet was broken or something.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  8. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Darren Salt wrote:

    > I demand that Nathan Cross may or may not have written...
    >
    >> I've uploaded a new zip file with the unusual .so files in it. I'm hoping
    >> it'll just work now. They do work just like dlls, don't they? You can just
    >> drop them in the program's directory and they'll work?

    > Well... not /quite/. You'd want to do this:
    >
    > $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./Target2006
    >
    > And you've included liballeg.so.4.2.1 when the game wants liballeg.so.4.2,
    > but that's a matter of renaming or of creating (or you including) a suitable
    > symlink.
    >
    > If anybody wants to stick that in a script:
    >
    > #! /bin/sh
    > cd "$(basedir "$0")"
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:" ./Target2006

    That would be the thing to do, really: Bung a script like that in the
    ..zip file and tell people to run it instead of the executable directly.

    Still, it works. Hurrah! And it's rather good, isn't it? Although - and
    this is not in the way of being a criticism or anything - it's a bit
    easier than I remember it. I got to Mr. Big on my first go. Apart from
    the motorcycle bloke and the dogs in the Mall, you just have to line the
    bad guys up on one side and keep throwing punches. Nine times out of
    ten, they go down like sacks of potatoes. I recall them being slightly
    smarter than that (not much, I admit, but slightly). Maybe it's just me
    though. I haven't played the original in ages.

    One teensy wee bug I noticed: the music goes all wrong on the high score
    screen. Gets stuck like a scratched record, sort of thing.

    Otherwise, top notch stuff. I love the still-a-bit-speccy-esque update
    with the blocky graphics and AY-style music. It really helps retain the
    same atmosphere. Many pence and Rolos to Nat and the chaps (and chapesses)!

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  9. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:50:18 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Duncan Snowden:

    > Cor. You're right. I *swear* I did exactly the same search last night
    > and got nothing. Maybe the internet was broken or something.

    Pah, you should keep a back-up on floppies like I do.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  10. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On 2007-08-26, Chris Young wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:50:18 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Duncan Snowden:
    >
    >> Cor. You're right. I *swear* I did exactly the same search last night
    >> and got nothing. Maybe the internet was broken or something.

    > Pah, you should keep a back-up on floppies like I do.

    I prefer audiotape, then I can "surf the internet" in my car.

  11. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    "Ian Rawlings" napísal v správe
    news:slrnfd3nrs.cq3.news06@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2007-08-26, Chris Young wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:50:18 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
    >> rappin'
    >> to MC Duncan Snowden:
    >>
    >>> Cor. You're right. I *swear* I did exactly the same search last night
    >>> and got nothing. Maybe the internet was broken or something.

    >> Pah, you should keep a back-up on floppies like I do.

    > I prefer audiotape, then I can "surf the internet" in my car.

    I can surf the internet in my bathroom as I am mounted through warm water
    pipeline.

  12. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On 2007-08-26, Bohus Král wrote:

    > "Ian Rawlings" napísal v správe
    > news:slrnfd3nrs.cq3.news06@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    >>
    >> I prefer audiotape, then I can "surf the internet" in my car.

    > I can surf the internet in my bathroom as I am mounted through warm water
    > pipeline.

    I used to get my internet via a pipe, but I found the porn used to get
    stuck in the U-bends, the plumber I called had a thick moustache and
    some cheesy music in the background, nothing good came of that.

  13. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Darren Salt the Monkey was never naughty:

    > Well... not /quite/. You'd want to do this:

    As constant as a rock in a sea of chaos and turmoil. I'd be prepared to
    wager ACTUAL CASH that when the sun finally goes supernova, you'll be
    standing on top of a mountain taking measurements to make sure it does
    it properly ;-)

    John Dow
    http://www.nelefa.org
    Abu the Monkey was never naughty.

  14. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Thank you. I played it and just finish beating Mr Big a few minutes
    ago. The ending sequence is hilarious!
    I will recommend this one.

  15. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Thank you. I played it and just finished beating Mr Big a few minutes
    ago. The ending sequence is hilarious!
    I will recommend this one.

  16. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    Nathan Cross did eloquently scribble:
    > I've uploaded a new zip file with the unusual .so files in it. I'm hoping
    > it'll just work now. They do work just like dlls, don't they? You can just
    > drop them in the program's directory and they'll work?

    Errr, no. Not in linux.
    The way it's done in linux is you wrap the executable in a startup script
    which sets the environment variable "LD_PRELOAD" with the names of the
    relevant libraries. (Or LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the path to those libraries),
    and then linux knows where to look for them.

    Either that or you have an ./install file which copies the relevant
    libraries to the correct directories (as root), but that's only usually done
    on a full build. Not really a good idea with prebuilt cos sometimes, even a
    library file can have dependencies on other libs that aren't installed.

    Otherwise the OS will only look for libraries in the places defined in
    /etc/ld.so.conf.

    And don't worry about the whole "my code is so embarrassing" rubbish.
    If you release it as open source it might get tidied up by someone else if they
    like the game. A few comments added by you wouldn't go amiss though.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  17. Re: Target; 2006 - v1.3

    On 3-Sep-2007, zxbruno wrote:

    > Thank you. I played it and just finish beating Mr Big a few minutes
    > ago. The ending sequence is hilarious!
    > I will recommend this one.

    Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Nathan