best way to write .tap back to tape? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on best way to write .tap back to tape? - Sinclair ; I have a registered copy of the Windows version of Z80 spectrum emulator. I also have the Dos version though it doesn't work on my Windows XP computer. I also have an old Spectrum 48k that I would like to ...

  1. best way to write .tap back to tape?

    I have a registered copy of the Windows version of Z80 spectrum
    emulator. I also have the Dos version though it doesn't work on my
    Windows XP computer.

    I also have an old Spectrum 48k that I would like to get working...
    but some time ago I converted all of my old tapes to .z80s and to
    ..taps, and threw the original tapes away.

    I've been trying to work out, what the best way of putting stuff back
    onto physical tape is. Years and years ago I used to use Z80's
    "tap2tape" utility and my parallel interface thing for connecting it
    to a tape player. But this isn't going to work without the DOS z80
    version working, in fact will it work through the parallel interface
    anyway on my modern computer?!

    I should be very grateful for any advice or suggestions you have about
    how best to put .z80 or .tap back onto physical tape

    Thank you

    --
    http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
    remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

  2. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    Douglas Paulley did eloquently scribble:
    > I have a registered copy of the Windows version of Z80 spectrum
    > emulator. I also have the Dos version though it doesn't work on my
    > Windows XP computer.

    > I also have an old Spectrum 48k that I would like to get working...
    > but some time ago I converted all of my old tapes to .z80s and to
    > .taps, and threw the original tapes away.

    > I've been trying to work out, what the best way of putting stuff back
    > onto physical tape is. Years and years ago I used to use Z80's
    > "tap2tape" utility and my parallel interface thing for connecting it
    > to a tape player. But this isn't going to work without the DOS z80
    > version working, in fact will it work through the parallel interface
    > anyway on my modern computer?!

    First off... Get a more modern emulator.
    spin for example. Z80 has been surpassed. Emulation's moved on since those
    days. It's been years since there was a new version of it.
    You could load in your taps and (I think) save them as tzx.
    tzx emulates tapes more correctly, including the ability to plug a spectrum
    or tape player into the sound card and record the thing loading.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  3. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:42:33 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Douglas Paulley:

    > I should be very grateful for any advice or suggestions you have about
    > how best to put .z80 or .tap back onto physical tape

    PlayTZX I think will work with .TAP files as well. Just hook up a
    tape recorder and hit record+play.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  4. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    On Aug 5, 11:42 pm, Douglas Paulley
    wrote:
    > I have a registered copy of the Windows version of Z80 spectrum
    > emulator.

    As already noted, Z80 is sadly rather long in the tooth these days --
    the registered version is now available as freeware, for those who can
    be arsed to Google for Gerton Lunter's site (I can't)...

    > I also have the Dos version though it doesn't work on my
    > Windows XP computer.

    If you want to run the DOS Z80, try DOSBox on dosbox.sourceforge.net/> -- it works brilliantly on all DOS programs
    I've slung at it so far, including those which need a much slower PC
    than the one I'm using (it has a slowdown utility built-in, and unlike
    the other slowdown utilities I've tried this one actually works; it
    slows down the virtual machine it's running, not the entire actual
    machine as the others try to do).

  5. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:04:04 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >First off... Get a more modern emulator.
    >spin for example.

    Thank you. I've had a play with Spin - you're right, it is much better
    (at least in the modern Windows XP environment!)

    >Z80 has been surpassed.

    It's sad, really - the amount of effort and dedication that went into
    that program!

    --
    http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
    remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

  6. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 23:43:06 GMT, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    >PlayTZX I think will work with .TAP files as well. Just hook up a
    >tape recorder and hit record+play.

    Thank you. Its child WinTZX and Z802TZX seem between them to do
    exactly what I want - much appreciated

    --
    http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
    remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

  7. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:55:36 -0700, korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    >As already noted, Z80 is sadly rather long in the tooth these days --
    >the registered version is now available as freeware, for those who can
    >be arsed to Google for Gerton Lunter's site (I can't)...

    yes, indeed. I'm enjoying playing Mined Out on Spin (some old classics
    can't be beat!)

    >If you want to run the DOS Z80, try DOSBox on >dosbox.sourceforge.net/> -- it works brilliantly on all DOS programs
    >I've slung at it so far, including those which need a much slower PC
    >than the one I'm using (it has a slowdown utility built-in, and unlike
    >the other slowdown utilities I've tried this one actually works; it
    >slows down the virtual machine it's running, not the entire actual
    >machine as the others try to do).

    Thanks. The irony is beautiful - running an emulated Dos enviornment
    to run an emulated Spectrum

    --
    http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
    remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

  8. Re: best way to write .tap back to tape?

    wrote:
    > I have a registered copy of the Windows version of Z80 spectrum
    > emulator. I also have the Dos version though it doesn't work on my
    > Windows XP computer.
    >
    > I also have an old Spectrum 48k that I would like to get working...
    > but some time ago I converted all of my old tapes to .z80s and to
    > .taps, and threw the original tapes away.
    >
    > I've been trying to work out, what the best way of putting stuff back
    > onto physical tape is. Years and years ago I used to use Z80's
    > "tap2tape" utility and my parallel interface thing for connecting it
    > to a tape player. But this isn't going to work without the DOS z80
    > version working, in fact will it work through the parallel interface
    > anyway on my modern computer?!
    >
    > I should be very grateful for any advice or suggestions you have about
    > how best to put .z80 or .tap back onto physical tape
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
    > remove .lartsspammers to reply by email

    I'm afraid I've never tried it myself, but allegedly you can convert
    the .tap to .mp3/.wav, burn it to a CD, then copy it to tape. The
    theory is good but football isn't played on a blackboard as they say...

+ Reply to Thread