PCMCIA cards on the Speccy? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on PCMCIA cards on the Speccy? - Sinclair ; Would it be possible to use PCMCIA cards on the Speccy, if using a CF to PCMCIA converter? We already have a few designs of CF interfaces (DivIDE, etc. ) the idea of using one Ethernet PCMCIA card comes to ...

  1. PCMCIA cards on the Speccy?

    Would it be possible to use PCMCIA cards on the Speccy, if using a CF
    to PCMCIA converter? We already have a few designs of CF interfaces
    (DivIDE, etc. ) the idea of using one Ethernet PCMCIA card comes to
    mind...

  2. Re: PCMCIA cards on the Speccy?

    zxbruno wrote:
    > Would it be possible to use PCMCIA cards on the Speccy, if using a CF
    > to PCMCIA converter? We already have a few designs of CF interfaces
    > (DivIDE, etc. ) the idea of using one Ethernet PCMCIA card comes to
    > mind...

    The original PCMCIA type cards had an interface that was essentially the
    PC standard ISA bus on a different connector - there may have been a few
    differences, but nothing too great.

    The newer PC-cards you are likely to find in computer shops now are
    based on something more like the PCI bus (I may be wrong here - but I
    know it is significantly different to the old ISA bus anyway)

    You'd not really gain anything by attempting to reverse connect a
    PCMCIA->CF adapter to a divIDE to use an old card. You'd probably be
    better off coming up with a new interface from scratch - one that would
    almost certainty also be able to drive standard ISA cards. Some address
    translation and an 8bit <> 16bit latch would be all you need.

    As much fun as it may be to get a TCP/IP stack and drivers running on a
    speccy I feel that there would be rather a lack of CPU to actually do
    anything useful with the TCP/IP. My personal preference (and for this I
    actually have prts gathering dust on a shelf until I have some spare
    time) is to interface a self contained module to the speccy; this
    handing all the protocol aspects leaving the application to run on the
    speccy.

    Something like a PIC or AVR and an ENC28J60 Ethernet chip would work
    very well, taking the load off the poor Z80 letting your web-browser,
    IRC client or whatever take the full Z80 CPU time.

    That's my view anyway.

    cheers
    Dave (who used to Lurk (and still does when not posting from work (Mmm,
    nested parenthesis.)))

  3. Re: PCMCIA cards on the Speccy?

    Jarek Adamski has already created a ZX interface that can take ISA
    cards. Details on www.yarek.pl.

  4. Re: PCMCIA cards on the Speccy?

    OwenBot wrote:

    > Jarek Adamski has already created a ZX interface that can take ISA
    > cards. Details on www.yarek.pl.

    Hi!

    Neither www.yarek.pl or yarek.pl has lead me to the Hardware page.

    Just a link to an ISP.