Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos? - Sinclair ; X-No-Archive:yes I'd say no. Spectrum demos do look like early 80s LCD games, while most C64 demos can be mistaken for AMIGA demos. But to settle this question once and for all : Can you write a demo on both ...

  1. Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    X-No-Archive:yes

    I'd say no. Spectrum demos do look like early
    80s LCD games, while most C64 demos can
    be mistaken for AMIGA demos.

    But to settle this question once and for all :

    Can you write a demo on both the C64 and
    the Spectrum to show which system is the best?

  2. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    **** off, newbie.

    PS. Funny how all of these 'n00b' posts seem to multiply when school's out,
    isn't it?

  3. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Speccynator wrote:

    > X-No-Archive:yes

    Yeah, that'll work.

    > I'd say no. Spectrum demos do look like early
    > 80s LCD games, while most C64 demos can
    > be mistaken for AMIGA demos.

    Nice try.

    No, wait a minute. It's not, is it? It's ****e. Christ's trousers, even
    the trolls are pish these days.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  4. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:11:14 +0200, Speccynator wrote:

    > X-No-Archive:yes
    >
    > I'd say no. Spectrum demos do look like early
    > 80s LCD games, while most C64 demos can
    > be mistaken for AMIGA demos.

    While I prefer c64 as its what I grew up with, Ive seen a few speccy demos
    on youtube that were jaw dropping, and (questionably) impossible to
    achieve on the c64. Ive also seen the opposite. They are 2 different
    machines with 2 different sets of capabilities.

    Both communities continue to screw the best out of their respective
    machines, and are continually achieving stuff never thought possible by
    the original designers. How cool is that!

    > But to settle this question once and for all :
    >
    > Can you write a demo on both the C64 and
    > the Spectrum to show which system is the best?

    I doubt it. Apparently there is no hard limit on either machine, a real
    testament to the designers of the 80s.

  5. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    "Speccynator" wrote ...

    > X-No-Archive:yes

    [attempt at trolling snipped]

    Good grief !!

    It is too soon for another flame war.

    Let us just snatch the troll out from under his bridge and feed him to the
    sharks in the moat.
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  6. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Sam Gillett did eloquently scribble:

    > "Speccynator" wrote ...

    >> X-No-Archive:yes
    >>

    > [attempt at trolling snipped]

    > Good grief !!

    > It is too soon for another flame war.

    > Let us just snatch the troll out from under his bridge and feed him to the
    > sharks in the moat.

    Nah, seal him in the cave with the grue.

  7. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Simon Scott wrote:

    > While I prefer c64 as its what I grew up with, Ive seen a few speccy
    > demos on youtube that were jaw dropping, and (questionably)
    > impossible to achieve on the c64. Ive also seen the opposite. They
    > are 2 different machines with 2 different sets of capabilities.

    Hi Simon!

    Elite. Colossus Chess IV. I could go on....

    Allthough, the 320x200 B/W mode of the C-64 might be not so bad for
    plotted Astronomic Charts :-|.

    > Both communities continue to screw the best out of their respective
    > machines, and are continually achieving stuff never thought possible
    > by the original designers. How cool is that!

    Yeah, the VIC story... (personally I like the 'Mathematica' demo, with
    the second 6502 of the 1541 ;-))

    > > Can you write a demo on both the C64 and
    > > the Spectrum to show which system is the best?

    > I doubt it. Apparently there is no hard limit on either machine, a
    > real testament to the designers of the 80s.

    Limit is to the User

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  8. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Speccynator wrote:
    > X-No-Archive:yes
    >
    > I'd say no. Spectrum demos do look like early
    > 80s LCD games, while most C64 demos can
    > be mistaken for AMIGA demos.
    >
    > But to settle this question once and for all :
    >
    > Can you write a demo on both the C64 and
    > the Spectrum to show which system is the best?

    I thought this was going to be one of those what is better theme.
    The C64 has a better range of colours than the Spectrum.

    The C64 has the SID chip you just cant beat that.
    The Spectrum has the AY chip in the newer 128`s the sound is pretty cool.
    The Spectrum has 16 colours not 8, the bright 1 command gives the extra
    8. Unless I will get told that the Spectrum has 8 or 7 and the bright
    simply don`t count. If that is the case then take the bright command
    out of the ROM. So it really truly does only have 8 or 7.
    You say the Spectrum has 16 colours?
    Yes I have a philips TV that is about 18 years old, with a round 8 pin
    socket on the back. I used a Spectrum 128 the one with the heatsink on
    the right hand side of it.
    I used 3 1N4148 diodes going from the bright line to the RED,BLUE,GREEN
    and that gave me the sixteen. I have not done it with a Grey case as I
    don`t have a lead that will fit.
    Only the 128k I made the lead myself to fit. why on earth the TV don`t
    have a normal Scart I don`t know.
    When I plug the Spectrum to it, it gives me 16 colours on the test
    screen be pressing the reset and the break key.
    The black shows 2 colours one black other a lighter shade of black.
    I have not seen any other TV that can do this not even a monitor.
    I have used 2 monitors and they don`t do it either.

    I think each computer has its own merits and they can do both as good as
    each other in many ways.

    I have both a ZX Spectrum Plus3 and a Commodore 128.

    They are both good in what they do.

    As for Demo`s that would depend on the programmer.
    I have seen some Demo`s on the C64 that are complete rubbish and some
    that are amazing, the exact same goes for the Spectrum.

    Its more how we see the games/demo`s our self.
    What is good to me may be not so good to another.

  9. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:28:40 GMT
    "Ayatollah of rock 'n' roller" schrieb:

    >PS. Funny how all of these 'n00b' posts seem to multiply when school's out,
    >isn't it?

    Most likely a very frustated teacher.
    --
    Das Murmeltier mit nur einem Kopf.
    Jan van den Broek

  10. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    I wonder if you could write a demo that required both computers synced
    together somehow with a combined SID/AY tune and video effects that
    cross over both displays.

  11. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    Simon Scott wrote:
    > While I prefer c64 as its what I grew up with, Ive seen a few speccy
    > demos on youtube that were jaw dropping, and (questionably)
    > impossible to achieve on the c64.

    Could you post some links?

    --

    (O)enone

  12. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    On Jul 30, 10:11 pm, "Speccynator"
    wrote:
    > X-No-Archive:yes

    Ho-hum... another idiot posting using the "my posts aren't worth
    reading" header (or, as it's increasingly becoming, the "I'm a troll,
    ignore me" header)...

  13. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    (O)enone wrote:
    > Simon Scott wrote:
    >> While I prefer c64 as its what I grew up with, Ive seen a few speccy
    >> demos on youtube that were jaw dropping, and (questionably)
    >> impossible to achieve on the c64.

    > Could you post some links?

    No?

    --

    (O)enone

  14. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    "Ayatollah of rock 'n' roller" wrote in message
    > **** off, newbie.
    >
    > PS. Funny how all of these 'n00b' posts seem to multiply when school's
    > out, isn't it?

    i doubt most kids know what a spectrum or c64 actually is.....

  15. Re: Can Spectrum demos beat C64 demos?

    (O)enone wrote:
    >> Simon Scott wrote:
    >>> While I prefer c64 as its what I grew up with, Ive seen a few speccy
    >>> demos on youtube that were jaw dropping, and (questionably)
    >>> impossible to achieve on the c64.

    >> Could you post some links?

    > No?

    I guess not then.

    So I'm afraid I revert from "interested but sceptical" to "disbelieving".

    --

    (O)enone

+ Reply to Thread