Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay? - Sinclair ; Hello all, any linux users of FUSE and the SDL interface here? I'm just trying it out again and it's still got a massive audio delay (greater than 1 second). It had this over a year ago when I last ...

  1. Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    Hello all, any linux users of FUSE and the SDL interface here? I'm
    just trying it out again and it's still got a massive audio delay
    (greater than 1 second). It had this over a year ago when I last
    tried it and it's still got it. SDL's documentation is utterly woeful
    so the little that I've managed to scratch together for setting it up
    hasn't been of any help. Has anyone else solved this issue? If I
    remember correctly, switching to the GTK interface solves it but I'd
    prefer it to run full screen with the SDL menus.

    Cheers!

  2. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    Hi Ian,

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > Hello all, any linux users of FUSE and the SDL interface here? I'm
    > just trying it out again and it's still got a massive audio delay
    > (greater than 1 second). It had this over a year ago when I last
    > tried it and it's still got it.

    Are you running ESounD or aRts? If so, could you try shutting them down
    first and then trying?

    You can also trying to set the environment variable SDL_DSP_NOSELECT to
    1 (separately from the above).

    Fred

  3. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    On 2007-05-28, Fred wrote:

    > Are you running ESounD or aRts? If so, could you try shutting them down
    > first and then trying?

    No, I checked those and they're not running.

    > You can also trying to set the environment variable SDL_DSP_NOSELECT to
    > 1 (separately from the above).

    No effect, here's the envs set so far.

    ianr@macmin2 /personal/ianr/Games $ env | grep SDL
    SDL_VIDEO_YUV_HWACCEL=1
    SDL_DSP_NOSELECT=1
    SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    SDL_FULLSCREEN=y

    The emulator window states that it's running at 110% but the speed is
    set to 100% so it always seems to be emulating just a bit too fast,
    somehow the audio keeps falling behind. It's odd, it happens in
    waves, first of all the sound is in sync or very nearly in sync with
    the video, but then it falls behind up to about 2 seconds or so, then
    goes back to being in sync and the cycle repeats. Changing the env
    variables doesn't seem to change much (and yes I am running fuse from
    within the shell that has the variables set).

  4. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-05-28, Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Are you running ESounD or aRts? If so, could you try shutting them down
    >> first and then trying?

    > No, I checked those and they're not running.

    I see.

    >> You can also trying to set the environment variable SDL_DSP_NOSELECT to
    >> 1 (separately from the above).

    > No effect, here's the envs set so far.
    >
    > ianr@macmin2 /personal/ianr/Games $ env | grep SDL
    > SDL_VIDEO_YUV_HWACCEL=1
    > SDL_DSP_NOSELECT=1
    > SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    > SDL_FULLSCREEN=y

    How about SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsp (with and without SDL_DSP_NOSELECT) or dma?

    > The emulator window states that it's running at 110% but the speed is
    > set to 100% so it always seems to be emulating just a bit too fast,
    > somehow the audio keeps falling behind.

    With sound enabled Fuse timing is set by the SDL audio callback, so if
    that is borked Fuse will not either.

    Fred

  5. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    On 2007-05-30, Fred wrote:

    > How about SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsp (with and without SDL_DSP_NOSELECT) or dma?

    dma gives "fuse: error: Couldn't open sound device: DMA memory map
    failed", no matter what setting SDL_DSP_NOSELECT is set to (or unset).

    Nothing else seems to make any difference, I've tried variations on
    the following;

    SDL_DSP_NOSELECT=0
    SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    #SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsp
    #SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dma
    SDL_FULLSCREEN=y
    SDL_VIDEO_YUV_HWACCEL=1

    All gives the same results other than the DMA as the driver, which
    causes the error already given and no sound.

    I'll try using fuse 0.8, my distro only has 0.7 packaged so I'll see
    if 0.8 makes any changes but I'm not hopeful.

  6. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    On 2007-05-30, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > I'll try using fuse 0.8, my distro only has 0.7 packaged so I'll see
    > if 0.8 makes any changes but I'm not hopeful.

    Except it won't compile, even with its own libraries installed :-/

    Has anyone tried 0.8.0.1 of fuse? Did it compile or did it barf on
    libspectrum.h defined objects in the debugger code?

  7. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > Has anyone tried 0.8.0.1 of fuse? Did it compile or did it barf on
    > libspectrum.h defined objects in the debugger code?

    Could you post the compilation errors you get?

    You could also get quicker help posting to the fuse development mailing
    list (details in the Fuse README).

    Fred

  8. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    On 2007-05-31, Fred wrote:

    > Could you post the compilation errors you get?

    I've managed to crack that one, it was just me having two versions of
    libspectrum, the system-wide one and an individual version for the
    updated version of fuse. I just did a localised install to test out
    the later version of fuse but didn't localise it quite enough so it
    tried to compile using the older version of libspectrum. A few mods
    to the configure parameters and it was fine. I thought I'd done that
    but had used relative pathnames so as soon as it went into a subdir to
    compile something the path to libspectrum was no longer valid!

    The new version cures the delayed sound issue, although the GTK
    interface no longer compiles, but I've not even peeked at that as I
    don't want to use it. I am getting a crackling sound after a few
    minutes of play though, not looked into that one either yet.

    > You could also get quicker help posting to the fuse development mailing
    > list (details in the Fuse README).

    Yes I know but joining a mailing list or a web forum is a PITA
    compared to joining a newsgroup, there's no discussion forum quite
    like newsgroups, email lists and web forums are pale imitations and
    need to be outlawed, and will be when I'm ruler of the world.

  9. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote:

    > > You could also get quicker help posting to the fuse

    > Yes I know but joining a mailing list or a web forum is a PITA
    > compared to joining a newsgroup, there's no discussion forum quite
    > like newsgroups, email lists and web forums are pale imitations and
    > need to be outlawed, and will be when I'm ruler of the world.

    Hurrah!

    Eq.

  10. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    Paul E Collins did eloquently scribble:
    > "Ian Rawlings" wrote:

    >> > You could also get quicker help posting to the fuse
    >> > development mailing list (details in the Fuse README).

    >> Yes I know but joining a mailing list or a web forum is a PITA
    >> compared to joining a newsgroup, there's no discussion forum quite
    >> like newsgroups, email lists and web forums are pale imitations and
    >> need to be outlawed, and will be when I'm ruler of the world.

    > Hurrah!

    He gets my vote.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    > compared to joining a newsgroup, there's no discussion forum quite
    > like newsgroups, email lists and web forums are pale imitations and
    > need to be outlawed, and will be when I'm ruler of the world.

    Ooh! Bagsy Minister of Internet Purification!

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  12. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    On 2007-06-03, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > Are you ready dive in

    Oh poo, I see the wood blandness is as bad as usual, I meant *to* dive in...

  13. Re: Fuse using SDL has massive audio delay?

    "Duncan Snowden" wrote in message
    news:46644914$1$1346$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere. com...

    > If there's a chauffeur-driven car and a big house in the country in it,
    > I'm in.

    There is, but the housekeeper is a bit, um, sensitive. Don't make a mess or
    she'll never let you get to bed....

    AndyC

+ Reply to Thread