When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites? - Sinclair ; One answer to Nick's question is that css is a respository of oldtimers who can answer questions about how it was in the good old days. That is if the memory is not too far gone. And so I ask ...

  1. When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    One answer to Nick's question is that css is a respository of
    oldtimers who can answer questions about how it was in the good old
    days. That is if the memory is not too far gone.

    And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    My personal experience is that I started reading css in early 1994 (I
    think) and was downloading SNAs from nvg, ijs and uchile at the same
    time. There were hundreds to thousands to choose from so the
    collection of SNAs had been going on for some time prior to this.

    SNA is the oldest snaphot format and it is based on a real Spectrum
    hardware device so I expect it was the first form of zx software
    distribution and may have existed before the emulators (SNAs may have
    been used to help develop emulators).

    As far as presence on the internet, css was created in late 1993 and I
    know an active mailing list existed prior to that. Does anyone recall
    when that was formed?

    On this side of the ocean, I've learned that a net.micro.zx newsgroup
    existed in 1983 for discussing Timex/Sinclairs. I seem to recall
    stumbling on it in the mid 80s but saw little activity there (I had a
    shell account with a local university running Multics that I accessed
    with a ts2068 + ts2050 modem + vt100 emulator). There was also
    Compuserve which hosted a Timex group, thought that cost $ so I never
    saw what that was about and have no idea if it was worthwhile.

  2. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    A936@hotmail.com did eloquently scribble:

    > One answer to Nick's question is that css is a respository of
    > oldtimers who can answer questions about how it was in the good old
    > days. That is if the memory is not too far gone.

    > And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    > snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    > how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    > commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    Well, I wasn't here at the very beginning, but I remember the pre-WOS
    spectrum repository was nvg, the norwegian ftp site.

    And checking there even now, there are snaps dated 1993. (seems to be about
    the earliest)

    > My personal experience is that I started reading css in early 1994 (I
    > think) and was downloading SNAs from nvg, ijs and uchile at the same
    > time.

    Yep, they're still there even now. Although I think the archive is severely
    reduced from the good old days, not many games in there now.

    > As far as presence on the internet, css was created in late 1993 and I
    > know an active mailing list existed prior to that. Does anyone recall
    > when that was formed?

    Nick might.
    NVG actually appears to have an archive of early CSS posts too.

    > On this side of the ocean, I've learned that a net.micro.zx newsgroup
    > existed in 1983 for discussing Timex/Sinclairs. I seem to recall
    > stumbling on it in the mid 80s but saw little activity there (I had a
    > shell account with a local university running Multics that I accessed
    > with a ts2068 + ts2050 modem + vt100 emulator). There was also
    > Compuserve which hosted a Timex group, thought that cost $ so I never
    > saw what that was about and have no idea if it was worthwhile.

    Well, there would've been little activity back then because the only people
    on this side of the pond with internet access back then were people at
    university, it was before the internet explosion where it was too expensive
    to make extensive use of it via modem/dialup and cyber cafe's sprang up to
    exploit this.

  3. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    On 23 May 2007 15:41:24 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > On this side of the ocean, I've learned that a net.micro.zx newsgroup
    > existed in 1983 for discussing Timex/Sinclairs.

    net.micro.zx is archived by Google Groups. There's a thread about it
    in c.s.s from back when Google added n.m.z to the archive.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  4. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    A936@hotmail.com wibbled:

    > My personal experience is that I started reading css in early 1994 (I
    > think) and was downloading SNAs from nvg, ijs and uchile at the same
    > time. There were hundreds to thousands to choose from so the
    > collection of SNAs had been going on for some time prior to this.

    The first SNA files I downloaded were in 1995 when I first started
    lurking around here. It took me another 7 years to actually post
    anything!

    I'm sure they'd been around for a long, long time before that. On a
    related note, what was the first Spectrum emulator for PC? I can't
    even remember now what I'd have loaded the snapshots into, but it was
    definitely running under DOS.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  5. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    On May 24, 8:57 am, "Matt Rudge" wrote:

    > I'm sure they'd been around for a long, long time before that. On a
    > related note, what was the first Spectrum emulator for PC? I can't
    > even remember now what I'd have loaded the snapshots into, but it was
    > definitely running under DOS.
    >
    > --
    > Mattwww.mattrudge.net

    I think it was JPP. Whatever it was, YS was still going at the time
    and mentioned it in one of their articles on the future of the Speccy.

  6. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    A936@hotmail.com wrote:
    > And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    > snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    > how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    > commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    I used to get my snapshots from BBS's back in the early 90's and PD disks.

    First emulator I used was on the Atari ST.

    Adios,
    Matt

  7. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    A936@hotmail.com wrote:
    > And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    > snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    > how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    > commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    I used to get my snapshots from BBS's back in the early 90's and PD disks.

    First emulator I used was on the Atari ST.

    Adios,
    Matt

  8. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    A936@hotmail.com wrote in news:1179960084.589942.299120
    @a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

    > One answer to Nick's question is that css is a respository of
    > oldtimers who can answer questions about how it was in the good old
    > days. That is if the memory is not too far gone.
    >
    > And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    > snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    > how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    > commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    Not sure, but I was downloading snapshots at Uni in '93-'94 off NVG and IJS
    and playing them with JPP.
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  9. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    Matt Rudge wrote:

    > The first SNA files I downloaded were in 1995 when I first started
    > lurking around here. It took me another 7 years to actually post
    > anything!

    Hi Matt!

    I have dl my first .sna over Telephone, from a nice guy in Czech
    Republic. ~1993.

    > I'm sure they'd been around for a long, long time before that. On a
    > related note, what was the first Spectrum emulator for PC? I can't
    > even remember now what I'd have loaded the snapshots into, but it was
    > definitely running under DOS.

    Yes? There were really Speccy Emulators for the PC at that time? ;-)

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: My sentences should give no troubles to your well know
    'demandiculator' :-))).

  10. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    cheveron@gmail.com wrote:

    > I think it was JPP. Whatever it was, YS was still going at the time
    > and mentioned it in one of their articles on the future of the Speccy.

    Yup, the emulators feature in issue 92 (the second-to-last issue) picks
    out Z80 and JPP as the significant emulators on PC, along with a couple
    of others in passing. It's actually quite enlightening reading over that
    article again - it doesn't mention the internet specifically, but it
    does report that Cliff Lawson posted his original copyright statement on
    'the Compuserve network', and provides the number for an 'emulator
    bulletin board' in Belgium, so it's probably not too far-fetched to
    assume that snapshots might have been swapped there before July 1993.

  11. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    "Matthew Pimm" wrote in message
    news:4Xf5i.59831$Ch.34647@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > A936@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    >> snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    >> how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    >> commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    > I used to get my snapshots from BBS's back in the early 90's and PD disks.
    >
    > First emulator I used was on the Atari ST.
    >
    > Adios,
    > Matt

    first speccy emulator I used was on the amiga around 90, 91.....quite a few
    snapshots too.

    also a very crap (BASIC) emulator existed for the '64....

  12. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    "john" wrote in message

    > "Matthew Pimm" wrote in message
    > news:4Xf5i.59831$Ch.34647@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    >> A936@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> And so I ask this question: does anyone recall when the first
    >>> snapshots began to appear at ftp sites? I am really curious to know
    >>> how much overlap (if any) there was between the end of the spectrum's
    >>> commercial life and its presence as a topic on the internet.

    >> I used to get my snapshots from BBS's back in the early 90's and PD
    >> disks.
    >>
    >> First emulator I used was on the Atari ST.
    >>
    >> Adios,
    >> Matt

    > first speccy emulator I used was on the amiga around 90, 91.....quite a
    > few snapshots too.
    >
    > also a very crap (BASIC) emulator existed for the '64....

    just remembered I used to spend ages faffing around getting tapes into my
    amiga via a sound sampler. (it worked, mostly...)

  13. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:14:35 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC john:

    > > I used to get my snapshots from BBS's back in the early 90's and PD disks.
    > >
    > > First emulator I used was on the Atari ST.

    > first speccy emulator I used was on the amiga around 90, 91.....quite a few
    > snapshots too.
    >
    > also a very crap (BASIC) emulator existed for the '64....

    The SAM Coupé had a Speccy emulator of course. When was that, '89?

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  14. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    john wrote:

    > just remembered I used to spend ages faffing around getting tapes
    > into my amiga via a sound sampler. (it worked, mostly...)

    Hi john!

    Me has done too, with the PAR Sound-Extender (Sampler, A500plus....)

    :-), Today you can load a tape-file in the AMIGA and load a real Speccy
    simultaneously. Just with the sound the the loading-emu is producing.

    Not to praise the AMIGA too much, but it's the smoothest in Sinclair
    emulating. It must have something to do with the 50-to-50Hz
    compatibility...

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: I think I bought my A4000/030 for faster Sinclair emu and
    probably for Indiana Jones II, which ran too slow on a plain A1200.
    However, the 030 was a bit too slow (emu) and a 040 followed... and so
    on. (mad moves... but my destination is getting brighter, at least)

  15. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    On 31 May 2007 21:19:48 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Daniel Mandic:

    > > just remembered I used to spend ages faffing around getting tapes
    > > into my amiga via a sound sampler. (it worked, mostly...)

    > Me has done too, with the PAR Sound-Extender (Sampler, A500plus....)

    Sound sampler? Pah! I used a cable made out of some old bits I had
    lying around. A joystick connector at one end, audio connector at the
    other, and some sort of electronic witchcraft in-between, assured that
    9 times out of ten it wouldn't load a thing. I think the A1200 had
    some sort of chuntey disruptor comparable to your mum walking in with
    your tea.

    Actually, I'm probably being a little bit hard on it, it wasn't much
    less reliable than a real Speccy, and would surely have been better if
    I'd used the correct components.

    (I still have the cable - it cunningly doubles-up as a mono
    audio-to-audio adapter. Haven't used it for years though, in either
    guise).

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  16. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    Chris Young wrote:

    > Sound sampler? Pah! I used a cable made out of some old bits I had
    > lying around. A joystick connector at one end, audio connector at the
    > other, and some sort of electronic witchcraft in-between, assured that
    > 9 times out of ten it wouldn't load a thing. I think the A1200 had
    > some sort of chuntey disruptor comparable to your mum walking in with
    > your tea.
    >
    > Actually, I'm probably being a little bit hard on it, it wasn't much
    > less reliable than a real Speccy, and would surely have been better if
    > I'd used the correct components.
    >
    > (I still have the cable - it cunningly doubles-up as a mono
    > audio-to-audio adapter. Haven't used it for years though, in either
    > guise).
    >
    > Chris

    Hi Chris!

    Interesting.

    I guess you have used 'Spectrum Emulator v1.7'!?

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  17. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    On 31 May 2007 23:55:23 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Daniel Mandic:

    > Chris Young wrote:
    >
    > > Sound sampler? Pah! I used a cable made out of some old bits I had
    > > lying around. A joystick connector at one end, audio connector at the
    > > other, and some sort of electronic witchcraft in-between, assured that
    > > 9 times out of ten it wouldn't load a thing. I think the A1200 had
    > > some sort of chuntey disruptor comparable to your mum walking in with
    > > your tea.
    > >
    > > Actually, I'm probably being a little bit hard on it, it wasn't much
    > > less reliable than a real Speccy, and would surely have been better if
    > > I'd used the correct components.
    > >
    > > (I still have the cable - it cunningly doubles-up as a mono
    > > audio-to-audio adapter. Haven't used it for years though, in either
    > > guise).
    > >

    > Interesting.
    >
    > I guess you have used 'Spectrum Emulator v1.7'!?

    Yes, but IIRC it is ZXAM that uses the above adapter.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  18. Re: When did snapshots first appear at the ftp sites?

    Chris Young wrote:

    > > I guess you have used 'Spectrum Emulator v1.7'!?

    > Yes, but IIRC it is ZXAM that uses the above adapter.
    >
    > Chris

    Hi Chris!

    Oh yes, ZXAM. The second choice (or first -later) in that times.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

+ Reply to Thread