The writing on the wall - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The writing on the wall - Sinclair ; CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As a result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene anymore. CSS can't really compete with WoS Forums (it's content which matters, not technicalities of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 139

  1. The writing on the wall

    CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As a
    result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene anymore. CSS
    can't really compete with WoS Forums (it's content which matters, not
    technicalities of the platform), any future I can see for CSS is either as
    a ghost ship or as something to complement WoS, doing something that the
    WoS Forums doesn't do.

    As to what that could be, I haven't a clue. Maybe others can think of
    something.

    That's just how I see things. My gut feeling is that CSS will just carry
    on as it is now - pretty much dead, but with the odd twitch (together with
    far too many flamewars for my liking - WoSF are definitely a lot
    friendlier).

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  2. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007, Nick Humphries wrote:

    > future I can see for CSS is either as a ghost ship or as
    > something to complement WoS, doing something that the WoS Forums
    > doesn't do.

    [...]

    > twitch (together with far too many flamewars for my liking -

    Maybe I've just stumbled onto what CSS does that WoSF doesn't.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  3. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-23, Nick Humphries wrote:

    > CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As a
    > result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene anymore.

    Just trying to remember who claimed that it was...

    What exactly are you trying to prove with these posts BTW? Who are
    you trying to refute, and what did they say? You keep telling us that
    WoS is your preferred choice, we know.

    People are here because they like it, although there's one or two who
    are here to tell people they don't like being here ;-) And one who's
    recently arrived here to tell people to post on topic, to not post
    irrelevant posts, and to test his bleedin' google groups setup
    repeatedly :-/

  4. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > What exactly are you trying to prove with these posts BTW? Who are
    > you trying to refute, and what did they say? You keep telling us that
    > WoS is your preferred choice, we know.

    I'm not trying to prove anything - I'm trying to figure out CSS's place in
    the grand scheme of things. I guess I'm trying to find a reason to not
    write it off - I've been here since the beginning, so letting go is not so
    easy.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  5. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-23, Nick Humphries wrote:

    > I've been here since the beginning, so letting go is not so easy.

    Also needless, chill out and just drift through and take it for what
    it is, a place where people can say what they like, with a sinclair
    bias, without a care in the world...

    Those of us who just don't get along with web forums or "moderated"
    forums, like the place so it's likely to have at least a few die-hards
    in here.

    Considering that the subject matter is the use of out-dated old
    computers though you might think claims that usenet is out of date is
    a little rich! Especially as web forums are just an attempt to
    emulate usenet with some pretty graphical add-ons...

    How about we start comp.sys.usenet.emulators ;-)

  6. Re: The writing on the wall

    Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    > On 2007-05-23, Nick Humphries wrote:

    >> I've been here since the beginning, so letting go is not so easy.

    > Also needless, chill out and just drift through and take it for what
    > it is, a place where people can say what they like, with a sinclair
    > bias, without a care in the world...

    And without fear of having the thread locked to prevent further posting.
    Or censorship.
    (fuzz's main complaint)

    > Those of us who just don't get along with web forums or "moderated"
    > forums, like the place so it's likely to have at least a few die-hards
    > in here.

    Indeed. I might not've seen its creation, but I've been here 12 years and
    have no intention of leaving.

    > Considering that the subject matter is the use of out-dated old
    > computers though you might think claims that usenet is out of date is
    > a little rich! Especially as web forums are just an attempt to
    > emulate usenet with some pretty graphical add-ons...

    > How about we start comp.sys.usenet.emulators ;-)

    heheh

  7. Re: The writing on the wall

    Why still crying about CSS's behavior ? On moderated forum my idiotic posts
    would be deleted. Usenet is freedom. If I do not have anything more to say
    about Spectrum, at least I am (slowly) learning here English. Do you know
    what a goot feeling it is when I scribble something in English and the
    others (in most cases) do understand what I wanted to say ? Conversation is
    best way to learn other language.

  8. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As
    > a result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene
    > anymore. [snip]

    I'm surprised, Nick. I've seen you flame like a champion but never
    troll.

    Sad, really.

  9. Re: The writing on the wall

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > Why still crying about CSS's behavior ? On moderated forum my idiotic
    > posts would be deleted. Usenet is freedom. If I do not have anything
    > more to say about Spectrum, at least I am (slowly) learning here
    > English. Do you know what a goot feeling it is when I scribble
    > something in English and the others (in most cases) do understand
    > what I wanted to say ? Conversation is best way to learn other
    > language.

    Hi Bohus!

    I feel the same.

    The ability of CSS to handle various thematics is one more argument. I
    like many Threads. There is plenty of deep info, about computers and
    its roots, from ppl with insight to this, and great abilities to branch
    out from the so called 'roots'.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  10. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007, fuzzix wrote:

    > Nick Humphries wrote:
    >> CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As
    >> a result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene anymore.
    >> [snip]

    > I'm surprised, Nick. I've seen you flame like a champion but never
    > troll.

    Not trolling, just thinking out loud in the hope someone would convince me
    that I'm wrong and that there is a good future for CSS beyond the
    tumbleweed. CSS is the *only* newsgroup I read these days, so this is
    pretty huge to me considering I used to read a few dozen ten years ago. My
    own personal Usenet death, if you will.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  11. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > My own personal Usenet death, if you will.

    KAAAHHHNNN!!!

  12. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-23, Nick Humphries wrote:

    > CSS is the *only* newsgroup I read these days, so this is pretty
    > huge to me considering I used to read a few dozen ten years ago.

    One of the nicest things about usenet is that you *can* read a few
    dozen newsgroups and easily keep track of multiple threads of
    conversation across them all, much harder and less convenient to do
    with various websites. If you're only reading one usenet group then I
    can see that it's not quite as favourable as it might otherwise be.
    There's plenty of groups still worth using though, and mailing lists
    lend themselves quite well to being converted to newsgroups and hosted
    on your own personal news server, I'm a unix nerd though so I do
    things like that ;-)

  13. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:00:27 +0100, fuzzix wrote:

    >Nick Humphries wrote:
    >> My own personal Usenet death, if you will.

    >KAAAHHHNNN!!!

    Wrath of?

  14. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:35:56 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Ian Rawlings:

    > There's plenty of groups still worth using though, and mailing lists
    > lend themselves quite well to being converted to newsgroups and hosted
    > on your own personal news server, I'm a unix nerd though so I do
    > things like that ;-)

    I don't take it that far, but my newsreader also acts as a threaded
    mail client. While it doesn't thread quite as well as Usenet, it
    makes mailing lists much more readable, so I have a newsreader here
    with a load of mailing list "groups" and Usenet groups and they all
    pretty much look and act the same.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  15. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:59:05 +0100, fuzzix wrote:

    >Nick Humphries wrote:
    >> CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums. As
    >> a result, CSS is not the central hub to the Sinclair emuscene
    >> anymore. [snip]

    >I'm surprised, Nick. I've seen you flame like a champion but never
    >troll.

    Well, there was the time Nick Humphries lied to Martijn at WOS,
    falsely claiming I was going to take WOS down with copyright
    complaints.

    After a few e-mails with Martijn, the situation was made clear to him
    that I'm actually on the liberal side of things when it comes to
    copyright. And WOS still exists. I case my rest.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor

  16. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:59:15 +0100, Ian Rawlings
    wrote:

    >What exactly are you trying to prove with these posts BTW? Who are
    >you trying to refute, and what did they say? You keep telling us that
    >WoS is your preferred choice, we know.

    I've not been in the loop for a year or two, but can anyone tell me if
    any other ex-CSS'ers who migrated to WOS' forums made a similar
    'farewell speech', or did they just quietly leave without announcing a
    series of gripes?

    >People are here because they like it, although there's one or two who
    >are here to tell people they don't like being here ;-) And one who's
    >recently arrived here to tell people to post on topic, to not post
    >irrelevant posts, and to test his bleedin' google groups setup
    >repeatedly :-/

    Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    fitting substitute.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  17. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas did eloquently scribble:
    > On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:59:15 +0100, Ian Rawlings
    > wrote:

    >>What exactly are you trying to prove with these posts BTW? Who are
    >>you trying to refute, and what did they say? You keep telling us that
    >>WoS is your preferred choice, we know.

    > I've not been in the loop for a year or two, but can anyone tell me if
    > any other ex-CSS'ers who migrated to WOS' forums made a similar
    > 'farewell speech', or did they just quietly leave without announcing a
    > series of gripes?

    Most of them just vanished.... Like an ooooold oak table...

    > Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    > fitting substitute.

    Are you up to the job?
    | in |good to you so far... |

  18. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:

    > Not trolling, just thinking out loud in the hope someone would convince
    > me that I'm wrong and that there is a good future for CSS beyond the
    > tumbleweed. CSS is the *only* newsgroup I read these days, so this is
    > pretty huge to me considering I used to read a few dozen ten years ago.
    > My own personal Usenet death, if you will.

    I'm actually posting to more groups now than a year ago. Two. The other
    one makes CSS look like a hive of activity.

    This isn't really helping, is it?

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  19. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:05:30 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> I've not been in the loop for a year or two, but can anyone tell me if
    >> any other ex-CSS'ers who migrated to WOS' forums made a similar
    >> 'farewell speech', or did they just quietly leave without announcing a
    >> series of gripes?

    >Most of them just vanished.... Like an ooooold oak table...

    That's what I suspected. Llama Wax Len, Gerard Sweeney... those were
    witty people.

    >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    >> fitting substitute.

    >Are you up to the job?

    I don't know if I've got time to make a copyright-infringing game
    website while telling people off for publicising copyright-infringing
    game websites.

    I think hypocrisy is best left to the professionals - politicians and
    clergymen.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  20. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas did eloquently scribble:
    > On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:05:30 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>> I've not been in the loop for a year or two, but can anyone tell me if
    >>> any other ex-CSS'ers who migrated to WOS' forums made a similar
    >>> 'farewell speech', or did they just quietly leave without announcing a
    >>> series of gripes?

    >>Most of them just vanished.... Like an ooooold oak table...

    > That's what I suspected. Llama Wax Len, Gerard Sweeney... those were
    > witty people.

    Gerard still posts occasionally, or did a few weeks ago.
    Len's been missing for a while though.

    >>> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    >>> fitting substitute.

    >>Are you up to the job?

    > I think hypocrisy is best left to the professionals - politicians and
    > clergymen.

    heh
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast