The writing on the wall - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The writing on the wall - Sinclair ; Nick Humphries wrote: > On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Tayles wrote: >>> The thing that galls me is WoS has poached some of our most valued >>> members >>> over the past few years... (Yes, even nick_h, even though he's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 139 of 139

  1. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Tayles wrote:
    >>> The thing that galls me is WoS has poached some of our most valued
    >>> members
    >>> over the past few years... (Yes, even nick_h, even though he's gone
    >>> nasty
    >>> recently for some reason)

    >> Hmmm...I was thinking he must have 'gone bad' when I read his original
    >> post on this thread.

    > Hmmm, that's disappointing - I had you down as one of the sensible ones,
    > Russ. As a result of me saying...
    >
    > 1) CSS has little or no future, and
    > 2) I have reservations about the WOS Forums NNTP mirror,
    >
    > ....I've apparently turned and become "nasty" and "gone bad". This in
    > spite of the fact that...
    >
    > 1) I still help out other websites and other projects,
    > 2) I run and support a couple of very popular websites of my own,
    > 3) I produce a documentary for free that a lot of you enjoy,
    > 4) I'm currently working my arse off on something special that you lot
    > will surely like,
    > 5) All whilst holding down a pretty intensive job, so I don't actually
    > *have* to do any of the above,
    >
    > ....the fact that I have a couple of different views from some of you is
    > enough to write off all that I've done and am doing for the scene.
    >
    > Disagree with me all you like, but at least get some perspective.

    I respect all the work you do, I certainly enjoy the documentary it's
    excellent work. I just don't understand your recent responses to various
    things, it all seems OTT to me...

  2. Re: The writing on the wall

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > The thing that galls me is WoS has poached some of our most valued members
    > over the past few years... (Yes, even nick_h, even though he's gone nasty
    > recently for some reason)

    Much as I can't stand web forums, I think "poached" is a bit much. They
    did go of their own accord, and there are plenty who post to both.

    PS: I've finally managed to access bluecanary here. Works perfectly. A
    virtual 75p and packet of Rolos to Gasman; nice work, matey.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  3. Re: The writing on the wall

    Duncan Snowden did eloquently scribble:
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> The thing that galls me is WoS has poached some of our most valued members
    >> over the past few years... (Yes, even nick_h, even though he's gone nasty
    >> recently for some reason)

    > Much as I can't stand web forums, I think "poached" is a bit much. They
    > did go of their own accord, and there are plenty who post to both.

    OK, maybe poached was strong... how about broiled, or steamed...

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  4. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:08:00 -0000 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Tayles:

    > I was purely joshing, Nick. We all owe you a debt of gratitude for
    > your tireless work on the Speccy scene, and I'd hate to think of any
    > bad feeling between anyone on CSS and your good self.

    You and Peter Thoma$ seem to have crossed in the post (as it
    were)[3][4]

    > Personally, I hope you've inadvertently succeeded in sparking a new
    > interest in this group and some of the old faces start to reappear.

    That has already happened. Millions[1] of old css-ers have come back
    out of the woodwork[2] in the last week or so.

    Chris
    [1] (approximately)
    [2] and very nice woodwork it is too.
    [3] I'm sure there's somebody else as well... nope, it's gone.
    [4] My newsreader needs a FOOTNOTE RENUMBER option.

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: The writing on the wall

    Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > [1] (approximately)

    ish

    > [2] and very nice woodwork it is too.

    Nice teak finish, perfect dovetail joints..

    > [3] I'm sure there's somebody else as well... nope, it's gone.

    Well.. The woodwork could do with a polish... I'd recommend wax...
    Of a very specific type...

    > [4] My newsreader needs a FOOTNOTE RENUMBER option.

    Heh.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  6. Re: The writing on the wall

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Duncan Snowden did eloquently scribble:
    >
    >> Much as I can't stand web forums, I think "poached" is a bit much. They
    >> did go of their own accord, and there are plenty who post to both.

    > OK, maybe poached was strong... how about broiled, or steamed...

    Yeah, they should be. SPLITTERS!

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  7. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:58:28 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Duncan Snowden:

    > >> Much as I can't stand web forums, I think "poached" is a bit much. They
    > >> did go of their own accord, and there are plenty who post to both.

    > > OK, maybe poached was strong... how about broiled, or steamed...
    > >

    > Yeah, they should be. SPLITTERS!

    Can I microwave them? It'll be fun.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  8. Re: The writing on the wall

    I never left! Except when I did (to go to Australia). I'm a little
    worried what it might mean when I find myself getting nostalgic for
    the old days of CSS. I guess that's nostalgia++ for you. Speaking of
    which, is the nostalgia spin-off group still running? And what ever
    became of the alt-css-binaries group? You still can't post binaries to
    forums! Oh, and after taking all my stuff out of storage, where I put
    it before going to Australia, I discovered that I own a hatstand --
    although I am now coatless and hatless.

  9. Re: The writing on the wall

    OwenBot did eloquently scribble:
    > I never left! Except when I did (to go to Australia). I'm a little
    > worried what it might mean when I find myself getting nostalgic for
    > the old days of CSS. I guess that's nostalgia++ for you. Speaking of
    > which, is the nostalgia spin-off group still running? And what ever
    > became of the alt-css-binaries group?

    It's still there.
    Not much of relevance gets posted there though.

    > You still can't post binaries to
    > forums! Oh, and after taking all my stuff out of storage, where I put
    > it before going to Australia, I discovered that I own a hatstand --
    > although I am now coatless and hatless.

    Then you'll have to have a word with Len. I'm sure he'll be able to help
    populate it.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  10. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:13:49 -0700, korax1214@gmail.com wrote:
    >On May 24, 11:52 am, "cheve...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >> I'm still here, although some people may not have realised it was me

    >Who are you?
    >
    >> Also the swearing on WoS annoys me.

    >Belgium! :-)

    YA Stingray AICM5AUD

  11. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:49:27 +0100, Ian Rawlings
    wrote:

    > I've been doing it

    Ooer

  12. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:40:37 +0100, alistairspam@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

    >I do like WoS I have to admit. plus I've been posting there for ages
    >before I worked out how to do all this newsgroup malarky. Also the
    >bastards at Tiscali cut all NNTP traffic off completely at 'peak time'
    >which despite being 1800 to 2300 in their Ts and Cs, starts at 1200 on
    >the dot, and newsgroups don't come back 'til 0100.

    I'm on Tiscali, and I've not had a problem downloading or posting here
    during those times.

    Whilst I'm defending Tiscali, I must point out that they're a bunch of
    lying gits (ie: recent SMTP failures, blaming it on spam blacklists)
    and their tech support is about as helpful as writing down your
    problem on the back of a Christmas cracker joke, placing it into an
    old Hi-Tech trainer, flinging into a field full of cows, and hoping
    for some kind of valid response.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor

  13. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:40:37 +0100, alistairspam@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> I do like WoS I have to admit. plus I've been posting there for ages
    >> before I worked out how to do all this newsgroup malarky. Also the
    >> bastards at Tiscali cut all NNTP traffic off completely at 'peak time'
    >> which despite being 1800 to 2300 in their Ts and Cs, starts at 1200 on
    >> the dot, and newsgroups don't come back 'til 0100.

    > I'm on Tiscali, and I've not had a problem downloading or posting here
    > during those times.
    >
    > Whilst I'm defending Tiscali, I must point out that they're a bunch of
    > lying gits (ie: recent SMTP failures, blaming it on spam blacklists)
    > and their tech support is about as helpful as writing down your
    > problem on the back of a Christmas cracker joke, placing it into an
    > old Hi-Tech trainer, flinging into a field full of cows, and hoping
    > for some kind of valid response.

    in that case you must be on a LLU (local loop unbundling) connection,
    I'm on IPstream (the bit of bandwidth that they buy off BT, and then
    stick hundreds of connections on when there isn't space)

  14. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:57:43 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> impressed, but I know a few mates might. Dammit, just writing this
    >> has got me thinking about it. Maybe I could have a nostalgia room.
    >> Spectrums on display, a sodastream in the corner and Minder playing on
    >> the telly.

    >Or tiswas? swapshop? dangermouse...

    Just tune into ITV1 at 9:15pm on Saturday to see some new(ish) Tiswas.
    And me.[1]

    >> Look, things move on. Perhaps the WOS forums are great, but all I
    >> know is that CSS the grand daddy of them all and we should support it
    >> however we can.

    >Quite.

    Pah, net.micro.zx is the true granddaddy. This CSS place is a
    Johnny-come-lately if you ask me. Where were you all in 1985, eh?

    [1] Granted, this isn't much of a selling point, I know.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  15. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:28:27 +0100, guesser
    wrote:

    >> I'm on Tiscali, and I've not had a problem downloading or posting here
    >> during those times.
    >> Whilst I'm defending Tiscali, I must point out that they're a bunch of
    >> lying gits (ie: recent SMTP failures, blaming it on spam blacklists)
    >> and their tech support is about as helpful as writing down your
    >> problem on the back of a Christmas cracker joke, placing it into an
    >> old Hi-Tech trainer, flinging into a field full of cows, and hoping
    >> for some kind of valid response.

    >in that case you must be on a LLU (local loop unbundling) connection,
    >I'm on IPstream (the bit of bandwidth that they buy off BT, and then
    >stick hundreds of connections on when there isn't space)

    I don't think I'm on an LLU connection. I know that various Tiscali
    users across the country aren't happy with crap speeds, but for me,
    the speeds are fine, the NNTP service is working perfectly. I do get
    the connection going down about 2-3 times a week, could be my ancient
    router...

    I will be leaving Tiscali later this year because of the e-mail
    debacle. Not that it affected me, it's just the way they blatantly
    lied to their customers.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  16. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:57:43 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>> impressed, but I know a few mates might. Dammit, just writing this
    >>> has got me thinking about it. Maybe I could have a nostalgia room.
    >>> Spectrums on display, a sodastream in the corner and Minder playing on
    >>> the telly.

    >>Or tiswas? swapshop? dangermouse...

    > Just tune into ITV1 at 9:15pm on Saturday to see some new(ish) Tiswas.
    > And me.[1]

    This week is it?

    >>> Look, things move on. Perhaps the WOS forums are great, but all I
    >>> know is that CSS the grand daddy of them all and we should support it
    >>> however we can.

    >>Quite.

    > Pah, net.micro.zx is the true granddaddy. This CSS place is a
    > Johnny-come-lately if you ask me. Where were you all in 1985, eh?

    We didn't even have a phone in 1985.
    Tsk, you were spoilt.

  17. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:06:09 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>>Or tiswas? swapshop? dangermouse...

    >> Just tune into ITV1 at 9:15pm on Saturday to see some new(ish) Tiswas.
    >> And me.[1]

    >This week is it?

    Indeedy. Trailer has been doing the rounds on ITV1[1] and is
    downloadable here:
    http://www.blessthishouse.net/misc_files/Tiswas.wmv

    >>>Quite.

    >> Pah, net.micro.zx is the true granddaddy. This CSS place is a
    >> Johnny-come-lately if you ask me. Where were you all in 1985, eh?

    >We didn't even have a phone in 1985.
    >Tsk, you were spoilt.

    I wish. Didn't have a phone, colour telly or even a fridge in 1985![2]

    [1] I've not seen it on the telly, because I er, rarely watch telly.
    [2] I realise this is a cue for a certain sketch from At Last The 1948
    Show, about Yorkshiremen.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  18. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas wrote:

    > I don't think I'm on an LLU connection. I know that various Tiscali
    > users across the country aren't happy with crap speeds, but for me,
    > the speeds are fine, the NNTP service is working perfectly. I do get
    > the connection going down about 2-3 times a week, could be my ancient
    > router...

    I see the difference with ~8KB/sec ISDN. Austria POST vs. Tiscali
    (formerly KPNQwest, formerly EuNet, formerly PING Ges.m.b.H. Mr.
    Engineer somehow ;-). First one here...)

    Not to mention the missing compression with HTML, other compressable
    WWW files, Usenet!!!, E-Mail!!, Yahoo Groups! and such other! Web
    Groups.

    > I will be leaving Tiscali later this year because of the e-mail
    > debacle. Not that it affected me, it's just the way they blatantly
    > lied to their customers.

    Yeah, it looks like an unbundling...

    Kind regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  19. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas wrote:

    > Biggo?

    Here! Or something. Wow, TV people are PINGing me!
    I just check CSS once in a while (let's make it once in a _season_), as
    you can see from the 3-month lag between this message and the one I'm
    replying to.
    I'd *really* love to be able to be here more often. My English is
    falling apart, my copy of FUSE is covered in dust, I have to catch up
    with 3552 css messages (so there, "pretty much dead group", hah!), not
    to mention the other 7 newsgroups I'm trying to follow o_O
    The good part is that life is being pretty good (ish) to me, that's why
    I'm spending some time offline.
    But don't fret, o CSSers, for I will migrate to Forum Land NOT!
    Well, I don't know what the writing on the wall was, but it's surely
    been overwritten by now.

    --
    | ||_ (o) __ __ __ | Biggo. Strattinare
    | |'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ | Se/quando c'e', c'e'
    | /_/ /_/ | *Si vis pacem, para papunzi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7