The writing on the wall - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The writing on the wall - Sinclair ; On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:57:20 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin' to MC Ian Rawlings: > No, "owenbot" He's gained sentin.. setie... he's ALIVE! Chris -- +-------------------------------------------+ | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" | | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk | ...

  1. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:57:20 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Ian Rawlings:

    > No, "owenbot"

    He's gained sentin.. setie... he's ALIVE!

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:35:52 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Dave Mills:

    > Dave (who lurks)

    Oh, you've ruined it now. I was beginning to think you'd finally got
    the hang of this "lurking" malarky.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  3. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007, Peter Thomas wrote:

    > Nice try, Nick, but you blow your own argument out of the water with
    > this gem you wrote about me in my absence:
    > http://tinyurl.com/28hveq

    Well, Spike mentioned in

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...8e95efe2525358

    that no one had insulted you for a while, and I didn't want to disappoint
    the little fella, and the movie of you in the rabbit costume had been
    doing the rounds, so it seemed appropriate to give it an airing here.

    I'm not sure what that means in CrazyWorld, but I'm sure you'll think of
    something and over-react accordingly in the hope that it might provoke me
    into giving you a sliver more attention. Sadly that won't work anymore as
    I'm actually busy doing a few things for the Speccy scene and I've lost
    interest in you again.

    Feel free to enter the "breech" once more and babble away, as if anyone
    gives a toss.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  4. Re: The writing on the wall

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Oh... unless you meant the e-mail address in the header attracting e-mail
    > spam (duuh on my part)...
    >
    > I hard coded a tin when I was at work with an e-mail address that wouldn't
    > spam me. Wasn't too difficult to find in the source either, iirc.

    Yeah. At some point I realised that I could set any email address I
    like without modifying the source, provided it ends with '.invalid'.

    I don't quite understand why tin used to insist on generating a Sender:
    containing my email address, or why it no longer does that. I don't
    really mind, though -- I'm just happy that it works. :-)

    The only thing left to do is to figure out how to stop tin from
    patronising me every time I send something. :-)

    Other groovy news: my cable modem (an SB4100) used to reboot when I
    viewed certain web pages (including the BBC weather page). I finally
    found that connecting it to a 100BaseT switch fixed the issue. (It was
    previously connected directly to a 10BaseT NIC.)

    As for connecting through a local news server... I'd like to, but is
    there one that doesn't suck? I'd rather not have to run 'fetchnews'
    periodically, although I'm not sure if I have any choice.

    Yay!
    --
    Stuart Brady

  5. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 18:47:25 +0100, Peter Thomas
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:24:48 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >>Gerard still posts occasionally, or did a few weeks ago.
    >>Len's been missing for a while though.

    >Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    >that.)

    I'm from Edinburgh

  6. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 18:47:25 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Peter Thomas:

    > Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    > that.)

    Len is from round here somewhere, I think. You're probably thinking
    of Duncan, or maybe Niall (whom I think was from Scotland too - where
    is Niall anyway, I need a new coat)

    > Whither Phil Kendall and Biggo?

    Phil's still around, I'm sure he posted something recently.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  7. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:51:55 +0100, Lister
    wrote:

    >>>Gerard still posts occasionally, or did a few weeks ago.
    >>>Len's been missing for a while though.

    >>Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    >>that.)

    >I'm from Edinburgh

    Ah. I was in Glasgow a few months back, and the place reminded me of
    CSS's Scottish brethren.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor

  8. Re: The writing on the wall

    Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:35:52 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Dave Mills:

    >> Dave (who lurks)

    > Oh, you've ruined it now. I was beginning to think you'd finally got
    > the hang of this "lurking" malarky.

    hah, he'll never manage it properly.
    He just can't resist for more than a few s

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  9. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:15:57 +0100, Nick Humphries
    wrote:

    >> Nice try, Nick, but you blow your own argument out of the water with
    >> this gem you wrote about me in my absence:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/28hveq

    >Well, Spike mentioned in
    >http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...8e95efe2525358
    >that no one had insulted you for a while, and I didn't want to disappoint
    >the little fella,

    Yeah, you did note the smiley, didn't you? Sorry, rhetorical question.

    >and the movie of you in the rabbit costume had been
    >doing the rounds

    Um, the first person to bring it to the attention of Usenet was a Mr
    David Lees. He tried publicising it over in alt.music.prodigy-the in
    order to provoke some debate against me.

    And then you did the same, over here.

    >so it seemed appropriate to give it an airing here.

    "trolling"
    "obsessed"

    >I'm not sure what that means in CrazyWorld, but I'm sure you'll think of
    >something and over-react accordingly in the hope that it might provoke me

    To sit there at your terminal hunting for some frame-grabs of me from
    a web video even though I had gone from this place for a very long
    time, goes to prove that I don't need to lift a finger to provoke you.

    I LOVED stumbling across that post, especially your URL with the word
    "twat" in it. The best bit is the term "attention-seeking" used to
    describe me. Irony in spades!

    >into giving you a sliver more attention.

    Apart from setting up a webpage of me on the telly, and frequently
    using a string of profanities to describe me (even when I disappeared
    long ago), you've done really well at this deprive-Pete-of-attention
    game.

    >Sadly that won't work anymore as I'm actually busy doing a few things for the Speccy
    >scene and I've lost interest in you again.

    Fear not, maybe a kindly soul in CSS may forward you on these
    value-packed DVDs which contain, er, me, giving you plenty of new
    material for your webpage, not that you're obsessed with me, oh no.

    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/71013...t/Product.html
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/59716...5/Product.html
    http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/33596...d/Product.html

    A must for David-Lees-wannabes everywhere.

    >Feel free to enter the "breech" once more

    Ooh, a reference to something that implies your peculiar interest in
    me hasn't fallen by the wayside as you claimed in your previous
    sentence. Keeping up with the Mice Pace, well done.

    As you've become previously became known for preaching against
    copyright abuse while encouraging copyright infringement via your
    website, I am not surprised at this latest outburst of Dubya-like
    hypocrisy.

    >and babble away, as if anyone gives a toss.

    Yes, they all hate me, Nick and side with you, always.

    Well, keep up with the PowerPoint-esque video-clips and the campaign
    to get us all on WOS Forums.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  10. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:56:43 GMT, "Chris Young"
    wrote:

    >> Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    >> that.)

    >Len is from round here somewhere, I think. You're probably thinking
    >of Duncan, or maybe Niall (whom I think was from Scotland too - where
    >is Niall anyway, I need a new coat)

    D'oh. I appear to have acquired a knowledge of geography comparable to
    a US Republican voter.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  11. Re: The writing on the wall

    "Chris Young" wrote in

    > On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:35:52 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
    > rappin' to MC Dave Mills:
    >
    >> Dave (who lurks)

    > Oh, you've ruined it now. I was beginning to think you'd finally got
    > the hang of this "lurking" malarky.

    He'll never learn.
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  12. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-24, Stuart Brady wrote:

    > As for connecting through a local news server... I'd like to, but is
    > there one that doesn't suck? I'd rather not have to run 'fetchnews'
    > periodically, although I'm not sure if I have any choice.

    I just run leafnode these days, almost zero setup, and just need to
    put "fetchnews" into a cron job to run every 5 mins or so, and texpire
    once a day or whatever.

  13. Re: The writing on the wall

    cheveron@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm still here, although some people may not have realised it was me
    > due to me ditching the Yahoo account I used to post from. Didn't the
    > Llama Waxer make a brief reappearance earlier this year (or am I going
    > senile)?

    I think it was longer ago than that, but yes, he did reappear briefly.

    > Not seen Duncan Snowden on for a while, but I still have an email address for
    > him.

    Eh? Are my posts not getting through, or something?

    > I think what it comes down to is this: if WoSF and CSS were beers WoSF
    > would be a posh Euro-lager, whereas CSS would be a classic English
    > real ale.

    With bits floating in it.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  14. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:58:54 +0100, Peter Thomas
    wrote:

    >>>Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    >>>that.)

    >>I'm from Edinburgh

    >Ah. I was in Glasgow a few months back, and the place reminded me of
    >CSS's Scottish brethren.

    Yeah. Annoyingly though, I've yet to meet any of them.

  15. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:17:32 +0000, Chris Young wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:35:52 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC Dave Mills:
    >
    >> Dave (who lurks)

    > Oh, you've ruined it now. I was beginning to think you'd finally got
    > the hang of this "lurking" malarky.

    I'll get back into the habit one day. Perhaps.

    cheers,
    Dave

  16. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-25, David Mills wrote:

    > I'll get back into the habit one day. Perhaps.

    Simply cut the lead connecting your keyboard to your computer, this
    simple tip will allow you to lurk like a pro!

    For this information, you owe me 70p, a packet of rolos and some salt
    and vinegar crisps in a green bag (heretic that I am).

  17. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:33:20 +0100, David Mills
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:17:32 +0000, Chris Young wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:35:52 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    >> to MC Dave Mills:
    >>
    >>> Dave (who lurks)

    >> Oh, you've ruined it now. I was beginning to think you'd finally got
    >> the hang of this "lurking" malarky.
    >>

    >I'll get back into the habit one day. Perhaps.

    Didn't know you were a nun, Dave

  18. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 11:54:52 +0100, Lister
    wrote:

    >>>I'm from Edinburgh

    >>Ah. I was in Glasgow a few months back, and the place reminded me of
    >>CSS's Scottish brethren.

    >Yeah. Annoyingly though, I've yet to meet any of them.

    What time does your curfew start?

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  19. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:44:46 +0100, Peter Thomas
    wrote:

    >>>Ah. I was in Glasgow a few months back, and the place reminded me of
    >>>CSS's Scottish brethren.

    >>Yeah. Annoyingly though, I've yet to meet any of them.

    >What time does your curfew start?

    Heh, curfew? What curfew?

  20. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas wrote:

    > > > Ah. I was in Glasgow a few months back, and the place reminded me
    > > > of CSS's Scottish brethren.

    > > Yeah. Annoyingly though, I've yet to meet any of them.

    > What time does your curfew start?

    Hi Peter!

    I didn't think Lister's Mother is military.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic