The writing on the wall - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The writing on the wall - Sinclair ; spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote: > Peter Thomas did eloquently scribble: >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires >> a fitting substitute. > > Are you up to the job? Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me!...

  1. Re: The writing on the wall

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Peter Thomas did eloquently scribble:
    >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires
    >> a fitting substitute.

    > Are you up to the job?

    Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me!

  2. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007, fuzzix wrote:

    > I'm surprised, Nick. I've seen you flame like a champion but never
    > troll.

    BTW, if you want trolling, take a look at Peter Thomas's posts. Of the 19
    posts he's made here since his return, a third of them have been attempts
    at trolling me into flaming him - including attempts to reheat ancient
    flamewars from several years ago.

    This is the first time I've mentioned him for a long while, and yet he's
    still obsessed with me.

    Sad, really.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  3. Re: The writing on the wall

    On May 23, 11:20 pm, Peter Thomas wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:05:30 GMT, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > >> I've not been in the loop for a year or two, but can anyone tell me if
    > >> any other ex-CSS'ers who migrated to WOS' forums made a similar
    > >> 'farewell speech', or did they just quietly leave without announcing a
    > >> series of gripes?

    > >Most of them just vanished.... Like an ooooold oak table...

    > That's what I suspected. Llama Wax Len, Gerard Sweeney... those were
    > witty people.
    >
    > >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    > >> fitting substitute.

    > >Are you up to the job?

    > I don't know if I've got time to make a copyright-infringing game
    > website while telling people off for publicising copyright-infringing
    > game websites.
    >
    > I think hypocrisy is best left to the professionals - politicians and
    > clergymen.

    Hey, don't forget us journalists!

    > --
    > pete [at] ¦ Writer
    > horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    > [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    > inn [dot] ¦
    > co [dot] uk¦http://www.tiswasonline.com

  4. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:24:48 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > Len's been missing for a while though.

    AFAIK he's not on the WOS forums either. He's probably been stuck in
    a darkened room trying to complete Robocop for the last three years.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  5. Re: The writing on the wall

    I'm still here, although some people may not have realised it was me
    due to me ditching the Yahoo account I used to post from. Didn't the
    Llama Waxer make a brief reappearance earlier this year (or am I going
    senile)? Some things change... I still miss the days when Ian Collier
    was attempting to read every post (maybe he's almost caught up and
    will be comming back soon). Alex Farley may be gone, but Daniel Mandic
    has filled his role admirably. Not seen Duncan Snowden on for a while,
    but I still have an email address for him.

    I think what it comes down to is this: if WoSF and CSS were beers WoSF
    would be a posh Euro-lager, whereas CSS would be a classic English
    real ale. WoSF might get the volume traffic, but there's still
    something rather special about CSS, and if I could choose only one, it
    would be CSS.

    Also the swearing on WoS annoys me. I'm all for freedom of speech but
    CSS somehow seems more civilized.

    Note to Spike: I will try and make an effort to perhaps go on to the
    #speccy channel a little more often, time permitting. :-)

  6. Re: The writing on the wall

    cheveron@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > I'm still here, although some people may not have realised it was me
    > due to me ditching the Yahoo account I used to post from.

    That doesn't quite clarify who "you" is.

    Gerard, is that you?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  7. Re: The writing on the wall

    On May 24, 12:25 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > cheve...@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > I'm still here, although some people may not have realised it was me
    > > due to me ditching the Yahoo account I used to post from.

    > That doesn't quite clarify who "you" is.
    >

    > Gerard, is that you?

    No, it's not. I went into anonymous mode for a bit for various
    reasons, but I've edited my Google profile now so hopefully the old-
    timers will know who I am.

  8. Re: The writing on the wall

    Hmmn, still only seems to be showing up as my email. Is my nick
    showing up to anyone at all? (Bloody Google!)

  9. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > CSS post numbers are dwindling as traffic moves to the WoS Forums.

    {snip}

    Just my luck. The first time in a few months I look into CSS[1] and the
    first thread I see is about how CSS is dying. Bah.

    [1] Rather than just trawl old posts for UI.

    cheers,
    Dave (who lurks)
    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtl/
    http://webshed.org/

  10. Re: The writing on the wall

    cheveron@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > Hmmn, still only seems to be showing up as my email. Is my nick
    > showing up to anyone at all? (Bloody Google!)

    Nope, only cheveron whoever that is.
    come on, give us a clue...
    put a sig at the bottom manually if need be.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  11. Re: The writing on the wall

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > BTW, if you want trolling, take a look at Peter Thomas's posts.

    Strange... I can't see his posts. Oh, I remember now!

    Guh.

  12. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 2007-05-24, cheveron@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hmmn, still only seems to be showing up as my email. Is my nick
    > showing up to anyone at all? (Bloody Google!)

    No, "owenbot", try putting your nick in as your email address,
    e.g. "Owenbot " instead. That's what you do in a
    proper client, not sure re google groups. Also google groups doesn't
    quote text by default, so all your posts just show up as isolated text
    with no context, so try quoting the text you are specifically replying
    to, it makes it easier to keep track of what's going on when you are
    reading umpteen newsgroups!

    Basically, google groups is a poor interface though, best to try and
    avoid it if possible..

  13. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:24:48 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >Gerard still posts occasionally, or did a few weeks ago.
    >Len's been missing for a while though.

    Lister and Len are both from Glasgow, IIRC? (Oh, I'm probably wrong on
    that.)

    Whither Phil Kendall and Biggo?

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  14. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 23 May 2007 18:05:10 -0700, Rupert Goodwins
    wrote:

    >> I think hypocrisy is best left to the professionals - politicians and
    >> clergymen.

    >Hey, don't forget us journalists!

    Couldn't do that, seeing as I'm virtually one myself.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  15. Re: The writing on the wall

    On Thu, 24 May 2007 01:00:13 +0100, Nick Humphries
    wrote:

    >BTW, if you want trolling, take a look at Peter Thomas's posts. Of the 19
    >posts he's made here since his return, a third of them have been attempts
    >at trolling me into flaming him - including attempts to reheat ancient
    >flamewars from several years ago.
    >This is the first time I've mentioned him for a long while, and yet he's
    >still obsessed with me.
    >Sad, really.

    Nice try, Nick, but you blow your own argument out of the water with
    this gem you wrote about me in my absence:
    http://tinyurl.com/28hveq

    Perhaps you could tell us what prompted you to write all that, in the
    same breath you've been calling me "trolling" and "obsessed". It would
    fill comp.sys.sinclair's irony quota for the next three years.

    Lots of love, Petey x x x

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor
    [hyphen] ¦ Designer/programmer
    inn [dot] ¦
    co [dot] uk¦ http://www.tiswasonline.com

  16. Re: The writing on the wall

    Peter Thomas wrote:
    > Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    > fitting substitute.

    Assuming I've finally figured out how to configure tin so that I don't
    get too much spam -- I'll try my best. :-)

  17. Re: The writing on the wall

    Stuart Brady did eloquently scribble:
    > Peter Thomas wrote:
    >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    >> fitting substitute.

    > Assuming I've finally figured out how to configure tin so that I don't
    > get too much spam -- I'll try my best. :-)

    You don't use tin to read news directly do you?
    That's just silly. use rtin combined with local news server.

    As for spam, it's moved to e-mail, there's not much spam on usenet these
    days.

  18. Re: The writing on the wall

    Stuart Brady did eloquently scribble:
    > Peter Thomas wrote:
    >> Well, if one opinionated hypocrite is on his way out, CSS requires a
    >> fitting substitute.

    > Assuming I've finally figured out how to configure tin so that I don't
    > get too much spam -- I'll try my best. :-)

    Oh... unless you meant the e-mail address in the header attracting e-mail
    spam (duuh on my part)...

    I hard coded a tin when I was at work with an e-mail address that wouldn't
    spam me. Wasn't too difficult to find in the source either, iirc.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  19. Re: The writing on the wall

    On May 24, 2:30 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > cheve...@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:

    > Nope, only cheveron whoever that is.
    > come on, give us a clue...
    > put a sig at the bottom manually if need be.

    Cheveron (it's the French phonetic spelling of my favourite level on
    Nightmare Rally) is the name I used when I was creating art for
    Automation. Before the internet, pirated compilation disks were a good
    way to get my art seen by lots of people, although of course I don't
    condone copyright theft. More recently I've been standing in for the
    OwenBot.

    I did try editing the email address but Google is pathetic at usenet.
    Hopefully in my new job there will be a nearby wi-fi connection I can
    leech.

  20. Re: The writing on the wall

    On 24 May 2007 03:52:26 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC cheveron@gmail.com:

    > I still miss the days when Ian Collier
    > was attempting to read every post (maybe he's almost caught up and
    > will be comming back soon).

    Collier's First Law Of Usenet (for some reason, that didn't make it as
    far as New Scientist) probably means he got so far behind that he gave
    up. Either that or he realised he wouldn't be able to read the
    to bother posting anything. Given the diminishing number of posts, if
    he keeps reading at the same rate he might actually catch up a bit
    now.

    > Not seen Duncan Snowden on for a while,

    Eh? He was posting only yesterday!