Street cred for Sinclair News group? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Street cred for Sinclair News group? - Sinclair ; The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'. Might that not have a knock-on effect and a nerdy, computer-related group of individuals who once had a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    Might that not have a knock-on effect and a nerdy, computer-related
    group of individuals who once had a ZX81/TS-1000, or somesuch, will
    acquire a little kudos, at least in the U.K.

    Or will the term 'gang' become vacant and Google be forced to rename
    its product to 'Google Gangs'?

    Leader of the Pack, Geoff.

  2. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Geoff Wearmouth wibbled:

    > The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    > agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    Of course... why didn't we think of this sooner? Why bother trying to
    have a more inclusive society when we can just change the language
    instead? I'm sure the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from belonging to
    a group rather than a gang will wipe out all anti-social behaviour.

    What a great thing this Newspeak is....

    > Might that not have a knock-on effect and a nerdy, computer-related
    > group of individuals who once had a ZX81/TS-1000, or somesuch, will
    > acquire a little kudos, at least in the U.K.

    I hope so... I'm feeling a little more dangerous already. Maybe I
    should start posting while wearing a hoody.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  3. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On 2007-05-23, Matt Rudge wrote:

    > Maybe I should start posting while wearing a hoody.

    Will that protect you from viruses, or am I thinking of something else?

  4. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Geoff Wearmouth did eloquently scribble:
    > The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    > agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    You're forgetting, anything forbidden becomes more desirable by the people
    they're trying to control.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  5. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    > agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    It's the opposite here. A couple of younglads smoking a spliff in their
    own home are members of the gangland underground.

  6. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 10:03:57 +0200 (CEST) da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Matt Rudge:

    > > Might that not have a knock-on effect and a nerdy, computer-related
    > > group of individuals who once had a ZX81/TS-1000, or somesuch, will
    > > acquire a little kudos, at least in the U.K.

    > I hope so... I'm feeling a little more dangerous already. Maybe I
    > should start posting while wearing a hoody.

    I tried posting while hanging around outside the local newsagent's.
    Unfortunately there's no wi-fi signal there, so I decided to give up
    and go home.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  7. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On 2007-05-23, cheveron@gmail.com wrote:

    > Well it looks like I've got a new highly paid job, so I'll be hanging
    > around in the UK for a bit longer,

    OK but try not to post each message a million times, I know this group
    doesn't have many posts but just repeating them all the time doesn't
    fool anyone!

    What is it with google groups at the moment, every group I'm in has at
    least one poster repeat-posting the same post over and over again..

  8. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    > On 2007-05-23, cheveron@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Well it looks like I've got a new highly paid job, so I'll be hanging
    >> around in the UK for a bit longer,

    > OK but try not to post each message a million times, I know this group
    > doesn't have many posts but just repeating them all the time doesn't
    > fool anyone!

    > What is it with google groups at the moment, every group I'm in has at
    > least one poster repeat-posting the same post over and over again..

    Aye, I've noticed that too. Yes another reason to get a proper news
    reader/news server.

  9. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Matt Rudge wrote:

    > I hope so... I'm feeling a little more dangerous already. Maybe I
    > should start posting while wearing a hoody.

    Watch out. Dave Cameron's liable to come along and hug you.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  10. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Duncan Snowden did eloquently scribble:
    > Matt Rudge wrote:

    >> I hope so... I'm feeling a little more dangerous already. Maybe I
    >> should start posting while wearing a hoody.

    > Watch out. Dave Cameron's liable to come along and hug you.

    A threat which should be enough to stop anyone from wearing a hoodie.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  11. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    ARGH!

  12. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > What is it with google groups at the moment, every group I'm in has
    > at least one poster repeat-posting the same post over and over
    > again..

    They're sick of the groups resource use so they're trying to destroy Usenet.

    PROVE ME WRONG!

  13. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On 2007-05-24, fuzzix wrote:

    > They're sick of the groups resource use so they're trying to destroy Usenet.
    >
    > PROVE ME WRONG!

    Not a very good strategy though is it, given that us usenetters can
    just kill posts from google groups using a variety of *secret means*....

  14. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    > On 2007-05-24, fuzzix wrote:

    >> They're sick of the groups resource use so they're trying to destroy Usenet.
    >>
    >> PROVE ME WRONG!

    > Not a very good strategy though is it, given that us usenetters can
    > just kill posts from google groups using a variety of *secret means*....

    Yep. We all adept at the arcane arts of bitwizardry.
    I SAID BITWIZARDRY! NOT GITWIZARDRY! We're not Blaine fans.

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  15. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    fuzzix wrote:

    > They're sick of the groups resource use so they're trying to destroy
    > Usenet.
    >
    > PROVE ME WRONG!

    I can't.

    Privatazing is going on... Usenet is the next.

    They will make then all better and prepare the Usenet fot the right
    ppl. As have happened mismanagment in public Railroad, for
    example...... I could tell that thousand... I hope it will not the stay
    the same all the time, though.

    Let's say Alabania is the best, bez they have all privatized. Now the
    Bus is not coming in Time for the shool-childs

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: What is the best in Internet?, regarding News?, reading News?,
    posting News? discussion and such things? Where can I find it? (And so
    the story takes the heat....)

  16. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote in message
    news:1179906109.876000.309410@q69g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    > The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    > agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    I know we all like laughing at hand-wringing liberals but this is so bad
    that it's not even funny.

  17. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On 2007-05-26, Phil wrote:

    > I know we all like laughing at hand-wringing liberals but this is so bad
    > that it's not even funny.

    It's not actually the whole story either, just the bits that make it
    sound like some kind of portent of doom.

    When I were a lad stuff like this was the staple diet of Esther
    Rantzen and the That's Life team, with their Jobsworth awards and all
    that kind of thing. Nowadays it's headline news in the Daily Mail and
    a sign of impending doom. I suppose it goes to show that there's
    nothing really bad going on to speak of...

  18. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    Phil did eloquently scribble:

    > "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote in message
    > news:1179906109.876000.309410@q69g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    >> The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    >> agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    > I know we all like laughing at hand-wringing liberals but this is so bad
    > that it's not even funny.

    I don't see the liberals making these policies.
    Labour, yes. I think the libdems have more sense.

    If you're using the american term for liberals, stop it, this is british
    politics we're talking about.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  19. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    On May 23, 8:41 am, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > The British Government is afraid of offending yobs and a government
    > agency has suggested that the word 'gang' be replaced with 'group'.

    Soon we'll have gangsex and groupbang as nouns then. Marvellous.

  20. Re: Street cred for Sinclair News group?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > If you're using the american term for liberals, stop it, this is
    > british politics we're talking about.

    If he was using the American term it'd be librul or liberl. I've
    actually seen Libertarians use "librul" like it's a dirty word. Anyway,
    that's a whole other story.

    ....trails off muttering about not understanding how people can like
    "liberty" and not "liberls"...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast