Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not? - Sinclair ; >From time to time, I'm surprised for the lot of posts that doesn't have any word about Sinclair computers, hardware and software and more of it. Not being so serious, but there should be here the figure of one moderator ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

  1. Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    >From time to time, I'm surprised for the lot of posts that doesn't
    have any word about Sinclair computers, hardware and software and more
    of it. Not being so serious, but there should be here the figure of
    one moderator or more who decide to show what everybody send to CSS
    for public debate, under some determined rules.

    I insist... this is a newsgroup about Sinclair computers everybody
    should talk and discuss about. I don't bother any jokes between posts.
    However, ultimately I'm beginning to be disenchanted with the way some
    of the posts are going on.

    If somebody have other interests to say whatever they want that don't
    have any relationship with it, they are completely wrong coming here
    and there is no reason to watch them in this group. Sure most of us
    have one Sinclair computer and may be right with me or not, however we
    would like to answer and reply for any doubt somebody has about
    Sinclair machines and rest of things. Therefore, I wouldn't reply any
    post that doesn't accomplish with the pretended requirements of this
    group.

    By last, does anybody really want to talk about the ZX-80, ZX-81, ZX
    Spectrum or something else related with them and never resort to
    subterfuges (like non-intelligent quotes and other nonsenses)?

    If everything continues this way, I wouldn't mind to exclude this
    group of my favourites sites and move to WoS forums. Who wants to
    follow me?

    (sure all has been understood. My English is not very perfect)

    RDisky

    .................................................. ......................

    The watcher and the tower, waiting hour by hour

  2. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    On 2007-05-19, RDisky wrote:

    > If everything continues this way, I wouldn't mind to exclude this
    > group of my favourites sites and move to WoS forums. Who wants to
    > follow me?

    Byeeee!!

  3. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    You will enjoy the WOS Forums more - lots more activity for one thing,
    both by fans of the Sinclair machines and also those people actually doing
    something in the scene. And if you want off-topic stuff then the Chit Chat
    forum on WOS is there for you.

    Things you'll be leaving behind:

    - crossposted repetitive flamewars

    - crossposted repetitive "my computer is better than yours" flamewars

    - periods of inactivty (well, no valuable activity) lasting several days

    CSS is dead - although the corpse twitches in interesting ways sometimes.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  4. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    RDisky did eloquently scribble:
    >>From time to time, I'm surprised for the lot of posts that doesn't

    > have any word about Sinclair computers, hardware and software and more
    > of it. Not being so serious, but there should be here the figure of
    > one moderator or more who decide to show what everybody send to CSS
    > for public debate, under some determined rules.

    Rubbish.

    > I insist...

    Insist all you like, you have no say. Who made you usenet moderator?

    > this is a newsgroup about Sinclair computers everybody
    > should talk and discuss about. I don't bother any jokes between posts.
    > However, ultimately I'm beginning to be disenchanted with the way some
    > of the posts are going on.

    No, this is NOT *JUST* a newsgroup for discussion of sinclair computers.
    That is and has never been its purpose. If you know so much, perhaps you can
    explain what would've happened if it HAD been moderated and all off topic
    posts rejected?

    Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    front apart from the odd new game or competition. This is a COMMUNITY who
    share a common interest.

    The person who wrote charter that resulted in the creation of the newsgroup,
    even back then, had the wisdom to do it properly.

    > If somebody have other interests to say whatever they want that don't
    > have any relationship with it, they are completely wrong coming here
    > and there is no reason to watch them in this group.

    How do you know?
    Some of us have been here for 12 *YEARS*. Some longer. (I've been just a
    leeeetle bit shorter than that).

    So what makes you think you know how this newsgroup should work?

    Sure most of us
    > have one Sinclair computer and may be right with me or not, however we
    > would like to answer and reply for any doubt somebody has about
    > Sinclair machines and rest of things. Therefore, I wouldn't reply any
    > post that doesn't accomplish with the pretended requirements of this
    > group.

    YOUR requirements are irrelevant.
    Here is the charter for the group you know nowt about.
    =================================
    Charter: To provide a forum for the discussion of the various
    brainchildren of Sir Clive (born Clive Sinclair) and related
    computers such as the Jupiter Ace, TK95, SAM Coupe and never-to-be
    Thor, software, peripherals, emulators for them, programming them;
    playing those wonderful games (6031769, anyone?); and anything else
    which interests the Sinclair community. The group will not be
    moderated. If, at some future date, someone should want to make it
    moderated, the same procedure should be followed as for the creation
    of a new USENET group at that time.
    ------------------------------

    Note that clause there? Very important clause that is. "And anything else
    that interests the sinclair community".

    > By last, does anybody really want to talk about the ZX-80, ZX-81, ZX
    > Spectrum or something else related with them and never resort to
    > subterfuges (like non-intelligent quotes and other nonsenses)?

    > If everything continues this way, I wouldn't mind to exclude this
    > group of my favourites sites and move to WoS forums. Who wants to
    > follow me?

    Sod off to WOS fora then, if that's your attitude.
    You've never contributed anything to this newsgroup anyway, so what gives
    you any authority NOW to decide what is and is not permissable?
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    > You will enjoy the WOS Forums more - lots more activity for one thing,
    > both by fans of the Sinclair machines and also those people actually doing
    > something in the scene. And if you want off-topic stuff then the Chit Chat
    > forum on WOS is there for you.

    > Things you'll be leaving behind:

    > - crossposted repetitive flamewars

    > - crossposted repetitive "my computer is better than yours" flamewars

    > - periods of inactivty (well, no valuable activity) lasting several days

    > CSS is dead - although the corpse twitches in interesting ways sometimes.

    Pessimist.
    It's not dead, it's just restin.

  6. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    > front apart from the odd new game or competition.

    Wrong.

    You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  7. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    >> front apart from the odd new game or competition.

    > Wrong.

    > You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    I hate web forums, I'll stick with usenet if it's all the same to you.
    Usenet is a better medium for discussions, with proper threading etc etc.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  8. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    On May 19, 12:36 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > > You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    > I hate web forums, I'll stick with usenet if it's all the same to you.
    > Usenet is a better medium for discussions, with proper threading etc etc.

    Perhaps but you miss out on the best stuff. css is just not the
    place to discuss relevant stuff anymore -- to answer the OP,
    most people have already moved to wos. I only come here
    for auld tymes sake and for a moment of amusement. There's
    never anything sinclair-related announced here that hasn't already
    been aired at wos but there's plenty in the other direction,
    unfortunately.

    Yeah, I think it's sad but css is only a pale shadow of what it
    once was. I hope it's only restin' but since most new people
    to the internet (ie last 5 years) don't even know what usenet is,
    I doubt it.

  9. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    A936@hotmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > Yeah, I think it's sad but css is only a pale shadow of what it
    > once was. I hope it's only restin' but since most new people
    > to the internet (ie last 5 years) don't even know what usenet is,
    > I doubt it.

    Well, I'll be including usenet when I teach IT.

    Might've had a badly educated generation but at least one school will learn
    what the internet REALLY is, if I have my way.
    (Start my PGCE in september)

    | in |good to you so far... |

  10. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>> Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    >>> front apart from the odd new game or competition.

    >> Wrong.

    >> You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    > I hate web forums, I'll stick with usenet if it's all the same to you.
    > Usenet is a better medium for discussions, with proper threading etc etc.

    Then please don't pretend you know what's happening in the
    Sinclair-related scene when you ignore one of the central information
    resources about it.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  11. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:

    >>> Wrong.

    >>> You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    >> I hate web forums, I'll stick with usenet if it's all the same to you.
    >> Usenet is a better medium for discussions, with proper threading etc etc.

    > Then please don't pretend you know what's happening in the
    > Sinclair-related scene when you ignore one of the central information
    > resources about it.

    OK then...
    What IS happening in the sinclair scene then?
    Post things here, let those of us who loath webfora know.
    Put some life back into comp.sys.sinclair rather than just sit back and say
    it's dead when you're one of the major contributing factors TO its death.
    By abandoning it for an inferior medium!

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 A936@hotmail.com wrote:

    > css is just not the
    > place to discuss relevant stuff anymore

    Agreed. It's all very well saying that a Usenet newgroup is technically
    better than a rival web forum, but unless there's something substantial to
    actually read on it, people are better off going elsewhere.

    Let's face it, you can't be informed about what's happening in the
    Sinclair scene unless you go to the place where all the action is reported
    and discussed.

    > Yeah, I think it's sad but css is only a pale shadow of what it
    > once was. I hope it's only restin' but since most new people
    > to the internet (ie last 5 years) don't even know what usenet is,
    > I doubt it.

    It is sad - I was one of the people who voted this newgroup into existence
    - but things change, and they're out of your control unless you try and
    improve your particular venue for the better.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  13. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>> Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:

    >>> I hate web forums, I'll stick with usenet if it's all the same to you.
    >>> Usenet is a better medium for discussions, with proper threading etc etc.

    >> Then please don't pretend you know what's happening in the
    >> Sinclair-related scene when you ignore one of the central information
    >> resources about it.

    > OK then...
    > What IS happening in the sinclair scene then?
    > Post things here, let those of us who loath webfora know.

    Sorry, don't work for free, especially when response here to my projects
    is minimal compared to the WOS Forums. It's your problem you're out of the
    loop, not mine.

    > Put some life back into comp.sys.sinclair rather than just sit back and say
    > it's dead when you're one of the major contributing factors TO its death.

    Ah yes, it's my fault the WOS Forums are more popular.

    Actually, that makes me feel quite proud if true.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  14. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    >> front apart from the odd new game or competition.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    Hmm. I'm rarely online when I read CSS... and sadly, AFAIK, nobody has
    yet invented an offline web forum reader.

  15. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    Calum did eloquently scribble:
    > Nick Humphries wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hint: Everything has been said. There's very little news on the sinclair
    >>> front apart from the odd new game or competition.

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    > Hmm. I'm rarely online when I read CSS... and sadly, AFAIK, nobody has
    > yet invented an offline web forum reader.

    See? See?! Usenet better. Web forums crap.
    SEE!?

    easy to use texttospeech, so the blind can use it.
    Easy on the phone bill cos you can post and download all the articles
    independent of any website and read them offline...
    Text only so you get quick download times
    threaded, properly

    Call me a luddite, I don't care.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  16. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Calum did eloquently scribble:
    >> Nick Humphries wrote:

    >>> Wrong.
    >>>
    >>> You should read the WOS Forums more often.

    >> Hmm. I'm rarely online when I read CSS... and sadly, AFAIK, nobody has
    >> yet invented an offline web forum reader.

    > See? See?! Usenet better. Web forums crap.
    > SEE!?
    >
    > easy to use texttospeech, so the blind can use it.

    There are screen-readers for the web.

    > Easy on the phone bill cos you can post and download all the articles
    > independent of any website and read them offline...
    > Text only so you get quick download times
    > threaded, properly

    Yep, I would have agreed with you up to a point a few years ago. But,
    come one, that's a bit of a feeble excuse to use now, with the majority
    of people on unmetered internet connections (yourself included), be it
    broadband or dialup.

    Web forum software, including WoS forums has the option to display
    threads in a variety of ways, including "proper" threading, as you put it.

    These excuses for usenet being better belong in the 20th century.
    Things have moved on since then.

    Daren

  17. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > easy to use texttospeech, so the blind can use it.
    > Easy on the phone bill cos you can post and download all the articles
    > independent of any website and read them offline...
    > Text only so you get quick download times
    > threaded, properly
    >

    > Call me a luddite, I don't care.

    Hi spike1@freenet.co.uk!

    My std. dl everyday, Usenet, E-Mail etc., is compressed by over 50%.
    I am actually thinking to a faster serial device with 460800 baud, but
    I am not sure about the machine where I should put in. AMIGA or PC....

    E.g. 400MB per Month is easy achievable by my ISDN and its sturdy
    real-time archiving. (I think it's STAC compression)
    DSL do not give me compression, not to mention the standby-leakage dl,
    which is also calculated into the 400MB/month capacity, and the bigger
    amount of data due to non-compression of text and other compressible
    Internet files (e.g. Usenet).
    With cable-modem there is even more stdby-leakage...

    All at all, a 400MB DSL costs me more than the same amount with my ISDN
    :-). (This month I am at ~6 Pounds Sterling, 250MB )
    A 400MB would cost ~15UKP and would have been already exceeded due to
    non-compression etc.

    An ISDN flatrate would be my dream

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  18. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    Sorry Spike, but it just seems to be the way of things. "Fora" (what a
    terrible plural) for Oric, Sinclair, Commodore etc. have all taken
    over the heaving lifting from Usenet. Will you be teaching history or
    IT? ;-)
    Sad but true, as Metallica would say.

  19. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS ornot?

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >> What IS happening in the sinclair scene then? Post things here, let
    >> those of us who loath webfora know.

    > Sorry, don't work for free

    Oh, you get paid to post on WOS? Awesome.

    Nick Humphries wrote:
    > Then please don't pretend you know what's happening in the
    > Sinclair-related scene when you ignore one of the central information
    > resources about it.

    The format of this ultimate repository for Sinclair-related news isn't
    exactly the most readable. How many users properly quote in replies? How
    easy is it to read in a text console? What if animated smileys make your
    tract itch?

    I also have issues with posting on a moderated forum. Those familiar
    with my work know I'm liable to go off on a mad one if the mood takes
    me. I don't feel like contributing where I might be banned or warned
    about my behaviour. Also don't like the idea of thread locking. It's not
    that I don't trust Martijn's judgment, it's just that I ****ing despise
    censorship no matter how honourable the intention behind it.

  20. Re: Does anybody want to talk about Sinclair computers at CSS or not?

    I agree with the original poster and also with Nick H. There are some
    good specchums in here, but unfortunately there's lots of unfriendly
    people who scare others away, and the fact that there's more off-topic
    posts than Sinclair content doesn't help at all. Specchums who think
    there's not much stuff happening in the scene have been missing a lot.
    If people don't like forums or dislike W.O.S., that's too bad.

    There is one excellent Sinclair Usenet group, but that's the Spanish
    one. They're friendly, active in the scene, helpful, knowledgeable but
    not full of themselves, and they don't let rude people take over.

    I will keep coming here, in the hope that things will change for the
    better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast