Which one is better... - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Which one is better... - Sinclair ; Come on, let's have your verdicts... Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog? Cookie or Psst? Scuba Dive of Glug Glug? Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde? Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf? Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Which one is better...

    Come on, let's have your verdicts...

    Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?
    Cookie or Psst?
    Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?
    Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?
    Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?
    Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?
    Manic Miner or JSW?
    Alien 8 or Knight Lore?
    Quazatron or Highway Encounter?
    Lightforce or Uridium?
    Green Beret or Commando?
    Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?
    Deathchase or Full Throttle?
    Elite or Tau Ceti?
    Dark Star or Starstrike?
    Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?
    Rebelstar or Chaos?
    Football Manager or The Boss?
    1984 or Software Star?

    For me, it's the first one in all cases.

    Russ

  2. Re: Which one is better...

    On 2007-05-16, Tayles wrote:

    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Tir na nog, less mind work needed!

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Neither, didn't like them...

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    Scuba dive, very tranquil..

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes, underwurlde was one of the most infuriating games ever made..

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Sabre wulf, but it's a close one....

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Fist, never liked YAKF for some reason...

    Both ****, sorry ;-)

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore, by a mile!!

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Highway Encounter, because I could stick it through to the finish
    without cheating ;-)

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Hmmm, I think Elite, but Tau Ceti was ace, in fact I started playing
    it again about 6 months ago.. I won't play Elite again, I think Elite
    was a once-in-a-lifetime game, once you stop you don't go back.

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    Hypersports had better graphics IIRC..

    > For me, it's the first one in all cases.

    I've not played about half of those... I've never figured out why
    people liked the Miner Willy games, or the Monty Mole ones or other
    similar pixel-perfect platformers, they've always bored the living
    **** out of me..

  3. Re: Which one is better...

    On 16 May 2007 09:31:25 -0700, Tayles wrote:
    >Come on, let's have your verdicts...
    >
    >Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Tir Na Nog

    >Manic Miner or JSW?

    JSW

    >Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium

    >Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite

    >Dark Star or Starstrike?

    Dark Star

    >Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    DTS

    >Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Chaos

    Missing out ones I either have no opinion on or never played.

    Frink

    --
    Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
    See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

  4. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wibbled:

    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...
    >
    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Lords of Midnight... definitely

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Psst if I had to choose, but I probably wouldn't play either

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    Scuba Dive

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Sabre Wulf - for the scenery

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    WoTEF

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    JSW

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Alien 8

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Highway Encounter

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium for me - loved the hi-res graphics

    > Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?

    Tomahawk

    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    Deathchase

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite

    > Dark Star or Starstrike?

    Starstrike.... only cos I never played Dark Star

    > Football Manager or The Boss?

    Football Manager

    > For me, it's the first one in all cases.

    Hmmmm... I'm pretty much 50/50, but I have to confess that I hadn't
    played a couple of games on the list.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  5. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles did eloquently scribble:
    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...

    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Tir Na Nog

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Tricky.. equal I'd say

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?
    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Underwurlde

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Atic Atac

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?
    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    JSW (if the bugs are fixed)
    Manic Miner (If not)

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Quazatron (more to it)

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium

    > Green Beret or Commando?
    > Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?
    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?
    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite

    > For me, it's the first one in all cases.

    Not me.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  6. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote:

    > For me, it's the first one in all cases.

    Pretty much. I'm not sure about Alien 8 and Knight Lore, but then
    (whisper it), I didn't really go for either (ditto, as everyone here
    probably knows by now, Chaos - I've never played Rebelstar at all). I
    reckon Uridium is the better game, but the Speccy version didn't really
    work. I'm not sure exactly what it is about it; it's a far better
    conversion than it has any right to be, but somehow it's just not as
    much fun as the original.

    Oh, and Elite vs Tau Ceti just isn't *fair*. How can you choose? What
    about a Pete Cooke one, in the vein of MM vs JSW:

    Micronaut One or Tau Ceti?

    Or - controversial one, this,

    Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner?

    Seriously, although MM is *brilliant* and everything, given the choice I
    think I'd rather play Chuckie Egg to while away half an hour.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  7. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote:

    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    LoM, a bit more cerebral...

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Psst

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    Scuba Dive

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Atic Atac

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Exploding Fist, I had it on pre-order for weeks!

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    MM

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore; after that all the isometric games felt a bit samey, really

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Highway Encounter

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium

    > Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?

    Seem a bit too different to compare, really, but I had more fun with
    Combat Lynx

    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    Full Throttle, infuriating though it was!

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Tau Ceti

    > Dark Star or Starstrike?

    Starstrike

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    Hypersports

    > Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Rebelstar, but preferred the original version, Rebelstar Raiders

    > Football Manager or The Boss?

    FM

    > 1984 or Software Star?

    Never played either of them...

  8. Re: Which one is better...

    Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner?
    >
    > Seriously, although MM is *brilliant* and everything, given the
    > choice I think I'd rather play Chuckie Egg to while away half an
    > hour.

    Oooh, you bastid!

    Here I am, studying away (*cough*) and I decide to take a quick break
    and see what's new on the groups. Now I /have/ to play them both until
    I've decided which is better. I've already pissed away over an hour by
    playing a "quick" game of Smash TV this morning... The exam is tomorrow,
    you know!

    Right... *launches fuse*

  9. Re: Which one is better...

    On 16 May, 20:09, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > Or - controversial one, this,
    >
    > Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner?

    Oof! That's going to cause a lot of lip chewing for some, but not for
    me. Chuckie Egg every time. Nigel Alderton, who wrote it, hated
    Manic Miner for its pixel-perfect nonsense. I have to agree, although
    the madness of Matthew Smith's games was an attraction in itself.
    Hardest platform game? Has to be Technician Ted for me. Unless you
    count Nodes of Yesod, which was kind half platform, half arcade
    adventure. That, I believe, was impossible to complete.

    Russ

  10. Re: Which one is better...

    On 2007-05-17, Tayles wrote:

    > Hardest platform game? Has to be Technician Ted for me. Unless you
    > count Nodes of Yesod, which was kind half platform, half arcade
    > adventure. That, I believe, was impossible to complete.

    Technician ted was dreadful... Nodes might have been hard but at
    least it was playable, I never found the Miner Willy games playable
    due to the hateful pixel-perfect rubbish. Mind you I never stuck
    nodes for long either, having a short attention sp

  11. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote in news:1179333085.408431.3150
    @o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...
    >
    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Tir Na Nog. I never could get anywhere with Lords.

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Cookie, just.

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    Scuba Dive definitely. Fantastic game.

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes.

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Sabre Wulf.

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Fist, but it's a close one.

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    MM. JSW was too big for me.

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore as it was just so revolutionary.

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Quazatron. I played this for hours. Brilliant game.

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium. Lightforce may have had colour, but Uridium's the better game.

    > Green Beret or Commando?

    Commando. I actually prefer the Speccy version to the arcade machine.

    > Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?

    Tomahawk.

    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    Deathchase. Pure gaming brilliance.

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite.

    > Dark Star or Starstrike?

    Starstrike for me.

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    Hypersports.

    > Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Chaos.

    > Football Manager or The Boss?

    FM.

    > 1984 or Software Star?

    Er, I'll go for 1984 as it's the only one of the two I've played.
    --
    Derek Jolly (css at jollyd dot ukfsn dot org)

  12. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote:
    > Oof! That's going to cause a lot of lip chewing for some, but not
    > for me. Chuckie Egg every time.

    Aye... Even have it listed as my favourite game on specchums.org

    I was just looking for an excuse to skive off for a wee bit...

  13. Re: Which one is better...

    On 16 May 2007 09:31:25 -0700, Tayles wrote:

    >Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    I've hardly played either. But I'll plump for the latter because it
    seems like a song title the Pogues would come up with.

    >Cookie or Psst?

    Not one drop of alcohol has passed my lips since Tuesday you cheeky
    scamp.

    >Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    I've played Scuba Dive. Durrell, isn't it? I didn't think much of it,
    but 1) I've not played Glug Glug 2) Durrell were overall, an excellent
    and underrated software house.

    >Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes Of Yesod. I don't really get the Ultimate thing.

    >Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Sabre Wulf seems more colourful to me. I'll have that.

    >Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Yie Ar Kung Fu. What Street Fighter 2 should have been.

    >Manic Miner or JSW?

    Manic Miner, at least I get *somewhere* in that.

    >Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore, seemed more detailed.

    >Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Quazatron, because it annoys C64 owners.

    >Lightforce or Uridium?

    I've only played Uridium.

    >Green Beret or Commando?

    Hmm... tough choice. Commando... just.

    >Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?

    Played neither.

    >Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    I played Deathchase on the only Speccy available at the Game On
    exhibition in January. It was... okay.

    >Elite or Tau Ceti?

    I'm baffled by both, I like the look of Tau Ceti.

    >Dark Star or Starstrike?

    Played neither.

    >Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    I'm trying to think of the differences between them. Probably
    Supertest in the end.

    >Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Chaos, without a doubt. Rebelstar was impressive though.

    >Football Manager or The Boss?

    Football Manager, because it's the definitive.

    >1984 or Software Star?

    How about Software House by Cult? I've played neither of those two.

    --
    pete [at] ¦ Writer
    horseshoe ¦ Video-editor

  14. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote:

    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...

    C'mon.

    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Lords of Midnight. I hope I'll get some free time and a nice seat by my
    TV-Set, to play an extensive 'Lords of Midnight' Game, with Pen and
    Paper etc.

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Cookie! (brilliant beep FX). Pssst is ok, too.

    ?

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Nodes of Yesod.

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Never played both of them, but I think Atic Atac could attract me
    more...

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Never played, maybe one or two times on Arcade...

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    Manic Miner

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    ?

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium

    -

    -

    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    Deathchase?

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite

    ?

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    never played

    ?

    ?

    > For me, it's the first one in all cases.
    >
    > Russ

    Unconventional questioning, but as you wish

    Here you are...

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  15. Re: Which one is better...

    In news:1179417709.966820.89880@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com,
    Tayles typed:

    > Nodes of Yesod, which was kind half platform, half arcade
    > adventure. That, I believe, was impossible to complete.

    It's listed (although distribution denied) on the RZX archive as having been
    completed. It's been recorded with rollback, which although not technically
    a true "play through", proves it can be done.

    D.

  16. Re: Which one is better...

    Tayles wrote:

    > Oof! That's going to cause a lot of lip chewing for some, but not for
    > me. Chuckie Egg every time. Nigel Alderton, who wrote it, hated
    > Manic Miner for its pixel-perfect nonsense. I have to agree, although
    > the madness of Matthew Smith's games was an attraction in itself.

    My thoughts exactly.

    > Hardest platform game? Has to be Technician Ted for me. Unless you
    > count Nodes of Yesod, which was kind half platform, half arcade
    > adventure. That, I believe, was impossible to complete.

    I always found Roller Coaster a complete pain in the arse. But that
    might just have been me. Haven't played it in years.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  17. Re: Which one is better...

    On Thu, 17 May 2007, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > I always found Roller Coaster a complete pain in the arse. But that might
    > just have been me. Haven't played it in years.

    In its favour, it actually improved on the JSW formula by adding rides you
    could ride on. Few other clones actually did anything with the JSW
    format.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  18. Re: Which one is better...

    In article <1179333085.408431.3150@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    tayles@mailandnews.com says...
    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...
    >
    > Lords of Midnight or Tir Na Nog?

    Lords Of Midnight

    > Cookie or Psst?

    Psst - found it easier to play

    > Scuba Dive of Glug Glug?

    Scuba Dive

    > Nodes of Yesod or Underwurlde?

    Underwurlde - more frantic

    > Atic Atac or Sabre Wulf?

    Atic Atac

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Yie Ar Kung Fu

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    Jet Set Willy - great to roam around

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Knight Lore - though A8's remote control feature was fun

    > Quazatron or Highway Encounter?

    Highway Encounter - call me a heretic but i preferred Paradroid on C64
    to Quazatron

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Uridium

    > Green Beret or Commando?

    Commando

    > Tomahawk or Combat Lynx?

    not sure if i played either

    > Deathchase or Full Throttle?

    Deathchase

    > Elite or Tau Ceti?

    Elite

    > Dark Star or Starstrike?

    3D Starstrike

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    Hypersports

    > Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Chaos - most definitely the game that sucked up a lot of my free time

    > Football Manager or The Boss?

    didn't like either

    > 1984 or Software Star?

    1984

  19. Re: Which one is better...

    On Wed, 16 May 2007, Tayles wrote:

    > Come on, let's have your verdicts...

    Surprisingly many of them I don't care about too much. Of the ones I do:

    > Way of the Exploding Fist or Yie Ar Kung Fu?

    Fist, obviously. YAKF was far too easy to bother with, whereas (so long as
    I don't rely on leg-kicks) Fist gets tricky from the 2nd Dan onwards.

    > Manic Miner or JSW?

    MM - but *just* getting by the "don't care" status by a whisker. Both
    game genres are far too simple and didn't really date well even when the
    Speccy was still selling.

    > Alien 8 or Knight Lore?

    Both over-rated. KL vs HoH, however... and HoH would have won by a mile.

    > Lightforce or Uridium?

    Both bog-standard shoot-'em up gameplay, but Uridium was slicker.

    > Green Beret or Commando?

    Green Beret was too basic, but Commando was more exciting.

    > Daley Thompson's Supertest or Hypersports?

    Hypersports was more fun.

    > Rebelstar or Chaos?

    Both over-rated.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/
    YSRnRY documentary (1988 OUT NOW!) http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/
    The Tipshop http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
    ZX Video and WWW Alerts http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsscheck.pl

  20. Re: Which one is better...

    On Wed, 16 May 2007, Duncan Snowden wrote:

    > Chuckie Egg or Manic Miner?

    Chuckie Egg was far more fun - it's the speed that really adds to the
    game, especially when you learn to jump onto ladders rather than lining
    yourself up at the bottom of each. Also the scope for really long, deep
    jumps across large parts of the screen.

    OK... so, having said that, how about:

    Chuckie Egg or Bomb Jack?