The ATARI 800 is crap!!! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on The ATARI 800 is crap!!! - Sinclair ; "Ian Rawlings" wrote: > Shave off Sugar's hair, trim his beard, make him lose weight, > remodel his skull and give him an education and it's obvious > that he's the evil twin Sinclair in disguise! That reminds me of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

  1. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote:

    > Shave off Sugar's hair, trim his beard, make him lose weight,
    > remodel his skull and give him an education and it's obvious
    > that he's the evil twin Sinclair in disguise!

    That reminds me of an excellent reader cartoon published in one of the
    Speccy mags. Clive Sinclair was caught robbing banks, but they pulled
    off the mask la Scooby Do to reveal Alan Sugar, who angrily
    exclaimed "Blooters!".

    I hope I didn't dream this.

    Eq.

  2. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    In article ,
    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-05-03, Etienne von Wettingfeld wrote:
    >
    > > I heard that's not the real Clive. The real Clive died when doing
    > > audition for becomming the 6th Beattle. He was replaced by his evil twin
    > > brother.

    > You might be thinking of Ian and Duncan Smith, the twins who entered
    > british politics. One of them managed to get to be leader of the
    > Conservative party, although it's not sure which one it was.

    I always confuse the Smith twins, the Beatles and Sir Clive. They all do
    look a like and all played a crucial part in the 1st Gulf War. Ehm, I
    might be confusing them with the US army though, that happens too.

    > > Same could be said for God, Jezus and the Holy Poltergeist and look
    > > where that went!

    > Well, I saw a posting in a newsgroup saying that allah is the one true
    > god, it's getting a bit crowded in the heavens with all the one true
    > gods that are knocking about, but if it was in a newsgroup then it
    > must be true.

    If there is a God or Gods, why didn't He/They destroy Atari (to get back
    on topic)? It was Jack Tramiel with his son who had to pop over to
    destroy the company from within.

    --
    Etienne von Wettingfeld [Mac OS X Tiger]

  3. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrnf3jbob.bd0.news06@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2007-05-03, Etienne von Wettingfeld wrote:
    >
    >> Then eBay arrived and I started looking for Atari 800 games. Funny
    >> enough only those 10 games kept getting listed. So I guess a lot of
    >> people bought this Atari 800 + 10 games set.

    > I think I actually have one in the loft somewhere, I've got at least
    > two Atari 8-bitters and a few STs, I never owned the 8-bitters when I
    > were a lad (I had a speccy) but I owned an ST -- for 6 months before
    > realising it was **** compared to the Amiga and dumped it for half the
    > price I bought it for! The amiga lasted 1 year before being dumped
    > for an Acorn Archimedes, which was the best home computer *ever*, and
    > one I used for 7 years before Linux came along.

    Ha ha, Acorn.

    You got duped with that lemon.

  4. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    "Etienne von Wettingfeld" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-05-03, Etienne von Wettingfeld
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hell, we should go on the stock market with this kind of timing!

    >> Well, you invest in Commodore or Amiga Inc, and I'll invest in
    >> whatever Clive Sinclair is doing these days ;-)

    > What is He doing?

    Still making toys and gimmicky rubbish.

  5. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    >> On 2007-05-03, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>> So, it's his evil twin brother who came up with the sinclair research range
    >>> of computers?

    >> No, the evil twin came up with the C5 and the PC200!

    > But the PC200 had nothing to do with Clive, that was Alan!

    Alan Sinclair? Who he? The PC200, as any fule kno, was thunk up by TV's
    Amstrad Sugar.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Paul E Collins wrote:

    > That reminds me of an excellent reader cartoon published in one of the
    > Speccy mags. Clive Sinclair was caught robbing banks, but they pulled
    > off the mask la Scooby Do to reveal Alan Sugar, who angrily
    > exclaimed "Blooters!".
    >
    > I hope I didn't dream this.

    So do I. Especially the "Blooters!" bit.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  7. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    wrote ...

    > BlackJack did eloquently scribble:
    >> On Thu, 03 May 2007 00:55:45 -0700, Lucas J. Riesau wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So, please, discuss the crapiness of the ATARI here:

    >> Looks like the Sinclair losers are out of arguments and try to draw off
    >> the attention from their feeble little door stops.

    > Don't point the finger in our direction.
    > We've never seen that moron before. (You can check for yourself via google
    > groups, I suspect he's one of yours)

    Not one of ours either! And I doubt he is from the Atari group. Just
    another brain-dead troll trying to stir things up.

    BTW, did anyone notice this line in the header?

    there is a bomb under your ass! And your ass will be history,soon!
    KABOOOM!,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
    --
    Best regards,

    Sam Gillett

    Change is inevitable,
    except from vending machines!

  8. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    In article <133kpbk1jns7sda@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Clockmeister" wrote:

    > >> Well, you invest in Commodore or Amiga Inc, and I'll invest in
    > >> whatever Clive Sinclair is doing these days ;-)

    > > What is He doing?

    > Still making toys and gimmicky rubbish.

    Phillips?

    --
    Etienne von Wettingfeld [Mac OS X Tiger]

  9. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Well a troll as I live and breathe.

    The 800 xl was actually quite a nice machine. The old 800 had those stupid
    keys and thus was worse tan the dear old Speccy.

    Its a big beast though.
    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Lucas J. Riesau" wrote in message
    news:1178178945.789824.56050@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    > It's time for Commodore and Sinclair users to finally
    > unite and bash the ATARI 800 computer, a real
    > piece of computer garbage.
    >
    > The C64, the VC20, the Plus 4 are vastly superior to
    > the mediocre ATARI system and its mediocre games
    > that look worse than the average C64 type-in listing.
    >
    > Even the Spectrum is far more powerful than the ATARI
    > and the Spectrum users finally need a system to bash
    > and the ATARI 800 is perfect to be bashed!
    >
    > So, please, discuss the crapiness of the ATARI here:

  10. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Brian Gaff did eloquently scribble:
    > Well a troll as I live and breathe.

    > The 800 xl was actually quite a nice machine. The old 800 had those stupid
    > keys and thus was worse tan the dear old Speccy.

    Um...
    The 800 had a nice keyboard.
    Cost twice as much as the 400 of course, which had the zx81 thump sensitive
    style though.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  11. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > Well, I saw a posting in a newsgroup saying that allah is the one true
    > god, it's getting a bit crowded in the heavens with all the one true
    > gods that are knocking about, but if it was in a newsgroup then it
    > must be true.

    Hi Ian!

    God can be One or All :-)

    But I think it's not possible to make one person, out of all
    persons....
    Why should it be other with a god, or gods!? (thinking to all and our
    way of understanding the Universe. Religion and belief is an other
    story and is at most believable when not talking much about, in my holy
    opinion).

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  12. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Clockmeister wrote:

    > > What is He doing?

    > Still making toys and gimmicky rubbish.

    Why not writing this to comp.sys.os.windows???

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  13. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    Etienne von Wettingfeld wrote:

    > > > What is He doing?

    > > Still making toys and gimmicky rubbish.

    > Phillips?

    The smallest AM Radio in the World! Not to forget the precious pretty
    Mini CRT TV-Set.
    Many more wonderful Electronics and also some digital stuff.

    e.g. the Z88 Notebook. A piece of perfect insight...

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  14. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    I'm sure the earlier 800 I saw was the same as the 400.. It was a demo from
    a long time ago though.

    Yes, the 400 was ridiculously big too, as I recall.

    I have an 800 xl here somewhere....

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    wrote in message
    > Brian Gaff did eloquently scribble:
    >> Well a troll as I live and breathe.

    >> The 800 xl was actually quite a nice machine. The old 800 had those
    >> stupid
    >> keys and thus was worse tan the dear old Speccy.

    > Um...
    > The 800 had a nice keyboard.
    > Cost twice as much as the 400 of course, which had the zx81 thump
    > sensitive
    > style though.
    >
    > --
    > | |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a
    > crack|
    > | spike1@freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which
    > you|
    > | |can't move, with no hope of rescue.
    > |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|Consider how lucky you are that life has been
    > |
    > | in |good to you so far...
    > |
    > | Computer Science | -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the
    > galaxy.|

  15. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    "Brian Gaff" writes:

    > Yes, the 400 was ridiculously big too, as I recall.

    But the ZX80 design probably was greatly inspired by the Atari 400 ?

    --
    Anders Carlsson

  16. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 15:19:27 +0200, Vidar Olavesen
    wrote:

    > Colors? Where's the shades on the C64? Hmmm. Vastly superior, okay.

    Yes, less colors on C64 but the benefit of that is that the
    C64 can use the colors much more efficiently. On A8, you're
    bound to 4 colors on 160x200 resolution.

  17. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    > Yes, less colors on C64 but the benefit of that is that the
    > C64 can use the colors much more efficiently. On A8, you're
    > bound to 4 colors on 160x200 resolution.

    Did you ever see the 256 colors pictures on the Atari? They look better than
    any I've seen on C64. Granted, the resolution is even lower there, but still
    they look damn fantastic for an old computer.

    And again, for speed, try out Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer on both
    consoles, Atari beats it hands down.

    BTW : I do have C64's too, so I am not Atari all the way, but I love Atari
    more than any other computers. Guess the Star Raiders thingy got me and kept
    me

  18. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    oh, stop! It's still state-of-the-art! Ever look at "Graphics 3"? How
    'bout them pixels, skippy!

    -z-

    "Lucas J. Riesau" wrote in message
    news:1178178945.789824.56050@e65g2000hsc.googlegro ups.com...
    > It's time for Commodore and Sinclair users to finally
    > unite and bash the ATARI 800 computer, a real
    > piece of computer garbage.
    >
    > The C64, the VC20, the Plus 4 are vastly superior to
    > the mediocre ATARI system and its mediocre games
    > that look worse than the average C64 type-in listing.
    >
    > Even the Spectrum is far more powerful than the ATARI
    > and the Spectrum users finally need a system to bash
    > and the ATARI 800 is perfect to be bashed!
    >
    > So, please, discuss the crapiness of the ATARI here:

  19. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    On Sat, 12 May 2007 16:05:02 +0200, Vidar Olavesen
    wrote:

    > Did you ever see the 256 colors pictures on the Atari? They look better
    > than any I've seen on C64.

    Then you should seriously watch more C64 graphics, there is tons
    of awesome 160x200 or 320x200 pictures out where I have never seen
    anything on A8 which comes even close to it.

    > Granted, the resolution is even lower there, but still they look damn
    > fantastic for an old computer.

    It looks nice, but is also flawed (low resolution and only every
    2nd rasterline contains graphics)

    > And again, for speed, try out Rescue on Fractalus and Ballblazer on both
    > consoles, Atari beats it hands down.

    I never argued this. (Although I think that Ballblazer C64 could've been
    atleast equal to the A8 version, but that's another matter...)

  20. Re: The ATARI 800 is crap!!!

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 10:45:22 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

    > Well a troll as I live and breathe.
    >
    > The 800 xl was actually quite a nice machine. The old 800 had those stupid
    > keys and thus was worse tan the dear old Speccy.

    You're thinking of the 400; it was the one that had the membrane keyboard.
    The original 800 had regular keys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2