Crap Games Compo 2007 is go! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Crap Games Compo 2007 is go! - Sinclair ; Hello. I came last in last year's CSSCGC, and as punishment have been forced to host this year's compo. I've already completed some compulsory training by reviewing the five worst games as voted by visitors to WOS. Anyway, you can ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

  1. Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Hello. I came last in last year's CSSCGC, and as punishment have been
    forced to host this year's compo. I've already completed some
    compulsory training by reviewing the five worst games as voted by
    visitors to WOS.

    Anyway, you can read about the competition here:
    http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk/?pg=cgc2007

    The gist is that entries need to be sent to
    cgc@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk and the competition officially closes
    on the 15th December 2007 (but no doubt it'll be extended, as is
    traditional)

    I thought I'd better get the show on the road before it creeps into
    2008...

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  2. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Chris Young wibbled:

    > Hello. I came last in last year's CSSCGC, and as punishment have been
    > forced to host this year's compo. I've already completed some
    > compulsory training by reviewing the five worst games as voted by
    > visitors to WOS.
    >
    > Anyway, you can read about the competition here:
    > http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk/?pg=cgc2007
    >
    > The gist is that entries need to be sent to
    > cgc@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk and the competition officially closes
    > on the 15th December 2007 (but no doubt it'll be extended, as is
    > traditional)

    Hurrah and all that! Great news. Without wanting to start another
    flamewar (which is why I *haven't* cross-posted)... has the 2006 C64CGC
    finished yet? Are we Spectrophiles much better at crap game
    competitions or what?

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  3. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Matt Rudge wrote:
    > Hurrah and all that! Great news. Without wanting to start another
    > flamewar (which is why I *haven't* cross-posted)... has the 2006
    > C64CGC finished yet? Are we Spectrophiles much better at crap game
    > competitions or what?

    Have you ever considered that perhaps the "crap" is in reference to the
    competition, rather than the games, and that the C64 Crap Game Competition
    is therefore a very badly organised competition for good games?

    In which case the fact that they're running four months late on the close
    date is a measure of how GOOD they are at crap game competitions.

    --

    (O)enone

  4. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    > Hurrah and all that! Great news. Without wanting to start another
    > flamewar (which is why I *haven't* cross-posted)... has the 2006 C64CGC
    > finished yet? Are we Spectrophiles much better at crap game
    > competitions or what?

    Most of them are american and thus humour impaired...
    So they just don't get it.

  5. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wibbled:

    > Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    > > Hurrah and all that! Great news. Without wanting to start another
    > > flamewar (which is why I haven't cross-posted)... has the 2006
    > > C64CGC finished yet? Are we Spectrophiles much better at crap game
    > > competitions or what?

    > Most of them are american and thus humour impaired...
    > So they just don't get it.

    Yes.... looking at the news page things do seem to have descended into
    more than a little acrimony: http://cosine.org.uk/c64cgc/

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  6. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:25:24 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC \(O\)enone:

    > Have you ever considered that perhaps the "crap" is in reference to the
    > competition, rather than the games, and that the C64 Crap Game Competition
    > is therefore a very badly organised competition for good games?

    Looking at some of the entries, you're probably right.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  7. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    "Chris Young" wrote in message
    > Hello. I came last in last year's CSSCGC, and as punishment have been
    > forced to host this year's compo. I've already completed some
    > compulsory training by reviewing the five worst games as voted by
    > visitors to WOS.
    >
    > Anyway, you can read about the competition here:
    > http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk/?pg=cgc2007
    >
    > The gist is that entries need to be sent to
    > cgc@unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk and the competition officially closes
    > on the 15th December 2007 (but no doubt it'll be extended, as is
    > traditional)
    >
    > I thought I'd better get the show on the road before it creeps into
    > 2008...
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > --
    > | Unsatisfactory Software - "because it is" |
    > | http://www.unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk |
    > | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |
    > +- http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk -----------+
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: I may be making all this stuff up again.

    Whooey i'm warming up the zeddy and cranking the cogs in my head.

    regards andy

  8. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    Spectrum SE.

  9. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    cheveron@gmail.com wibbled:

    > I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    > Spectrum SE.

    You're not trying to win your kit back from ZXF are you?

    :P

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  10. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    > cheveron@gmail.com wibbled:

    >> I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    >> Spectrum SE.

    > You're not trying to win your kit back from ZXF are you?

    Can fuse "do" the SE?

  11. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On 27 Apr 2007 02:54:37 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC cheveron@gmail.com:

    > I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    > Spectrum SE.

    If it's happy with just SE Basic, I can cope with that. If it needs
    an actual or emulated SE then it might be violating the rule "games
    must run on a Sinclair computer (that means no crap SAM games
    please)".

    OTOH, if I can get it to work, it is _sort of_ a Sinclair machine (but
    then so is the SAM, and all the Russian clones), so I'll probably
    allow it as an entry, but not allow it to win.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  12. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On Apr 27, 11:10 am, "Matt Rudge" wrote:
    > cheve...@gmail.com wibbled:
    >
    > > I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    > > Spectrum SE.

    > You're not trying to win your kit back from ZXF are you?
    >
    > :P

    No, I'm not entering that competition. Are you?

  13. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On Apr 27, 12:39 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Can fuse "do" the SE?

    Both Fuse (on Mac and Linux) and EightyOne (on Windows) "do" the SE.

  14. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On Apr 27, 7:33 pm, "Chris Young"
    wrote:
    > On 27 Apr 2007 02:54:37 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to MC cheve...@gmail.com:
    >
    > > I will try and submit something this year, but it may be for the
    > > Spectrum SE.

    > If it's happy with just SE Basic, I can cope with that. If it needs
    > an actual or emulated SE then it might be violating the rule "games
    > must run on a Sinclair computer (that means no crap SAM games
    > please)".

    Ironically the Spectrum SE doesn't use SE Basic by default. Maybe I'll
    do two entries, one for a Speccy 128 running SE Basic, and one in 128
    Basic for the Spectrum SE. Maybe two versions of the same game even.

    > OTOH, if I can get it to work, it is _sort of_ a Sinclair machine (but
    > then so is the SAM, and all the Russian clones),

    Unlike the SAM and the Russian clones it is more compatible with the
    original 48K machine than the offical 128K machines from Sinclair and
    Amstrad. On those grounds alone I think entries written for it should
    be allowed. Ok, so you won't be able to run it on an Amiga until
    someone ports Fuse to the Amiga, but that should be an incentive for
    someone to port Fuse to the Amiga. Until then you'll have to use
    EightyOne under Windows or Fuse under MacOS or Unix.

    > so I'll probably
    > allow it as an entry, but not allow it to win.

    My entries never win anyway. The entry I submitted as an IF2 ROM
    didn't even get judged!

  15. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On 27 Apr 2007 13:48:13 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC cheveron@gmail.com:

    > Ok, so you won't be able to run it on an Amiga until
    > someone ports Fuse to the Amiga, but that should be an incentive for
    > someone to port Fuse to the Amiga.

    That'll be me, then. Actually, I notice it uses SDL so shouldn't be
    too much trouble. OTOH, I had a terrible job getting it to compile on
    Linux, but that was a few years back and maybe things have changed.

    > Until then you'll have to use
    > EightyOne under Windows or Fuse under MacOS or Unix.

    What a stupid name for a Spectrum emulator. I thought EightyOne only
    emulated the ZX81. Still, if it does the job it's probably the
    easiest option.

    > My entries never win anyway.

    Maybe this year will be different.

    Or maybe it won't be.

    The only way to find out is to enter.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  16. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Chris Young did eloquently scribble:
    > What a stupid name for a Spectrum emulator. I thought EightyOne only
    > emulated the ZX81. Still, if it does the job it's probably the
    > easiest option.

    eightyone started as just a zx81 emulator, it does still emulate the '81.
    But it does in fact emulate the speccy too now.
    Mike was even talking about adding QL to it sometime, but we've not seen him
    for a few months. Probably too busy with his shop(s).

  17. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On 27 Apr 2007 23:36:33 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to DJ Chris "in da house" Young:

    > > Ok, so you won't be able to run it on an Amiga until
    > > someone ports Fuse to the Amiga, but that should be an incentive for
    > > someone to port Fuse to the Amiga.

    > That'll be me, then. Actually, I notice it uses SDL so shouldn't be
    > too much trouble. OTOH, I had a terrible job getting it to compile on
    > Linux, but that was a few years back and maybe things have changed.

    Hmm, that was easier than expected, except the sound going
    chugga-chugga-chugga constantly. I'll play around with it some more
    tomorrow, maybe recompile with a newer SDL build.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  18. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    Chris Young wrote:
    > On 27 Apr 2007 23:36:33 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to DJ Chris "in da house" Young:
    >>> Ok, so you won't be able to run it on an Amiga until
    >>> someone ports Fuse to the Amiga, but that should be an incentive for
    >>> someone to port Fuse to the Amiga.

    >> That'll be me, then. Actually, I notice it uses SDL so shouldn't be
    >> too much trouble. OTOH, I had a terrible job getting it to compile on
    >> Linux, but that was a few years back and maybe things have changed.

    > Hmm, that was easier than expected, except the sound going
    > chugga-chugga-chugga constantly. I'll play around with it some more
    > tomorrow, maybe recompile with a newer SDL build.

    Interesting! What kind of Amiga hardware do you have? I've neglected
    supporting more basic machines with the SDL stuff so we may be able to
    trim things down until you get a half-decent result.

    The sound output is set for machines which can support 33kHz or more
    sample rates, so you may want to use the -f flag to set a native rate
    for the Amiga sound hardware (~20kHz?), also we currently generate all
    graphics as 16 bit and let SDL scale it down to fit on lower depth
    framebuffers as there has been no need for supporting 256 colours or
    less natively. We could add that support if required, what colour depth
    are you running? Finally, a tad of frame-skip may also help your cause.

    Feel free to come and have a chat at the fuse-emulator-devel mailing
    list at lists.sourceforge.net if you want a hand getting it as good as
    can be on your hardware.

    Fred

  19. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On Apr 28, 1:30 am, "Chris Young"
    wrote:
    > On 27 Apr 2007 23:36:33 +0100 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    > to DJ Chris "in da house" Young:
    >
    > > > Ok, so you won't be able to run it on an Amiga until
    > > > someone ports Fuse to the Amiga, but that should be an incentive for
    > > > someone to port Fuse to the Amiga.

    > > That'll be me, then. Actually, I notice it uses SDL so shouldn't be
    > > too much trouble. OTOH, I had a terrible job getting it to compile on
    > > Linux, but that was a few years back and maybe things have changed.

    > Hmm, that was easier than expected, except the sound going
    > chugga-chugga-chugga constantly. I'll play around with it some more
    > tomorrow, maybe recompile with a newer SDL build.

    Woot! SE support on the Amiga. Erm, you were using the latest (0.8.0)
    code base?

  20. Re: Crap Games Compo 2007 is go!

    On 28 Apr 2007 00:18:22 -0700 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC cheveron@gmail.com:

    > Woot! SE support on the Amiga. Erm, you were using the latest (0.8.0)
    > code base?

    Of course, freshly downloaded only a few minutes after I wrote the
    "that'll be me" post.