################################################## #####
broada@mailandnews.com is for spammers
Others: see http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/email.html
################################################## #####

Today (23rd April) is the third anniversary of the full release of
Party Willy, Daniela Hantuchová's 24th birthday, Nicole Vaidišová's
18th birthday, and the 25th anniversary of the Spectrum! :-)

I am delighted to announce the release of a Special Edition of my 2004
MM/JSW box-set, _Party Willy_ - so called because it's in several
parts, most notably two 48K JSW parts, which I have also combined to
produce a single JSW128 game.

The games are based on the game-engines from Matthew Smith's classic
games from 1983 and 1984, Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy.

Party Willy [Special Edition 2007] is now available as a free download
from my website:
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/spectrum/download/

The Party Willy box-set consists of the following:

* Party Willy itself: the 2004 game from Broadsoft, featuring
reinterpretations of the original Jet Set Willy rooms (and a few from
other sources), revamped versions of 27 old rooms that I wrote in
1993, and many brand new rooms. I feel I have captured much of the
atmosphere of the original JSW, whilst maintaining the Broadsoft
standards of technical innovation. It is long overdue to return to the
art and craft of quirky features <http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/
spectrum/willy/features.html> - that's what this game is about.
School's in session.

* The old Jet Set Willy: Manic Miner conversion which I wrote in 1993:
the 20 MM caverns, plus 27 rooms of my own, which have been revamped
and included in Party Willy itself.

* The new Jet Set Willy: Manic Miner from 2004: a semi-automatic
conversion of MM to JSW, now with just the 20 MM caverns plus "Master
Bedroom", but with guardians, proper items, and other gubbins.

* Manic Miner: Jet Set Willy: a three-volume hand-conversion of JSW to
MM which I wrote between 1993 and 1996, and of which I have since
edited other aspects (most notably the Room 19 pictures).

* reniM cinaM: a laterally-inverted version of MM, generated by a
program called MirrorMM which will be released in the future as part
of Version 1.3 of my SPECSAISIE toolkit (SPECSAISIE 1.3 is currently
available as a beta-version). I've even worked out how to edit the
title-screen tune, the switch-behaviour in the Kong-Beast rooms, and
mirror the solar beam!

* ylliW teS teJ: a laterally-inverted version of JSW, generated by a
program called MirrorJSW which will be released in the future as part
of SPECSAISIE 1.3. For the Special Edition, MirrorJSW laterally
inverts the toilet-run and the behaviour of Earth-cells (wall-blocks),
and correctly inverts the title screen.

Changes to Party Willy (Part 1) [PART1.TAP]
-------------------------------

[49] "The Return of the Brothers Grimm": I have displaced the ramp one
cell to the left, to cut out a glaringly obvious shortcut that I had
overlooked.

[54] "Esmerelda's Bedroom": It was possible to circumvent the
challenge of the left half of this room with a well-timed jump from
the conveyor in "Matthew Didn't Bother to Code It" [14], so I have
added two Fire-cells to ensure that this only gives a Promised-Land
view of the room, and shifted the horizontal guardians' start-
positions two cells to the right to accommodate this change.

Changes to Party Willy (Part 2) [PART2.TAP]
-------------------------------

[30] "Where is Matthew Smith?": I have removed a Water-cell to prevent
the top item being collected in a way that I did not intend.

Both the above sets of changes have been applied to the JSW128 version
of Party Willy, PW128.TAP.

Changes to ylliW teS teJ [MIRRORJSW.TAP]
------------------------

I have extended SPECSAISIE MirrorJSW to:

* laterally invert the title-screen lookup-table (33841-33872);

* apply (or undo) J.G. Harston's patch to check for wall-blocks at
head-height when moving left <http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/JGH/Docs/
Patch.htm#wall>;

* apply POKE 37032,0 to suppress the check for wall-blocks at head-
height when moving right (or to reinstate this check: POKE 37032,200);

* apply my new patch to laterally invert the toilet-run.

Hence the BASIC loader no longer applies the post-edits to "tsaE
moorllaB" [20], "ralleC eniW ehT" [49] and "moordeB retsaM" [35] that
were necessary to make the original edition completable.

Further details of the above changes, and the changes to the TXT-
files, are available in README.TXT, which has a new section: "The
Special Edition 2007".

Finally, I must confess that I have not playtested the Special
Editions of Party Willy (Parts 1 & 2 and PW128), or of ylliW teS teJ,
to completion. The original editions were fully playtested, I have
thoroughly playtested the Special Edition changes, and I have also
used SPECSAISIE Compare to satisfy myself that just the right changes
have been applied to each file.

So I think it is reasonable to assume that the standard Broadsoft
guarantee of toilet-completability still applies to these four games,
and I'm going to leave that claim in README.TXT unless proven
otherwise.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad