25 years ago today... - Sinclair

This is a discussion on 25 years ago today... - Sinclair ; The ZX Spectrum was launched. http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007 Still going strong....

  1. 25 years ago today...

    The ZX Spectrum was launched.

    http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007

    Still going strong.

  2. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On 22 Apr 2007 18:47:45 -0700, Geoff Wearmouth
    wrote:

    >The ZX Spectrum was launched.
    >
    >http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007
    >
    >Still going strong

    Looks like I'll go for my copy earlier today then

  3. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On Apr 23, 2:47 am, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > The ZX Spectrum was launched.
    >
    > http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007
    >
    > Still going strong.

    Digg the story here:
    http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/The_...s_25_years_old

    Cheers,

    Daren

  4. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On Apr 23, 2:47 am, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > The ZX Spectrum was launched.
    >
    > http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007
    >
    > Still going strong.

    Here's an article on the 25th anniversary on BBC News:

    Featuring comments from Nick Humphries and Martijn from WoS!

    Cheers,

    Daren

  5. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On 2007-04-23, Daren wrote:

    > Here's an article on the 25th anniversary on BBC News:

    More models with improved processor speeds? Not seen that one...

    With new-fangled computers, the beeb reckons we can now play *digital*
    versions of the old games, much better than those pesky old analogue
    games, with their pops and cracks! Ain't it marvellous!

  6. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Daren wibbled:

    > On Apr 23, 2:47 am, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    > > The ZX Spectrum was launched.
    > >
    > > http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=621372007
    > >
    > > Still going strong.

    > Here's an article on the 25th anniversary on BBC News:
    >
    > Featuring comments from Nick Humphries and Martijn from WoS!

    There's also a video piece showing the Speccy with Manic Miner,
    Starquake, the Hobbit and Fairlight. Interestingly the cassette put
    into the tape player looks like the infamous Cascade 50.

    The video piece and, to a lesser extent, some of the news articles,
    annoy me a little because they seem to focus on comparing the speccy's
    processor speed and memory to a modern computer, rather than
    emphasising the Spectrum's impact and legacy.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  7. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Matt Rudge wrote:

    > The video piece and, to a lesser extent, some of the news articles,
    > annoy me a little because they seem to focus on comparing the speccy's
    > processor speed and memory to a modern computer, rather than
    > emphasising the Spectrum's impact and legacy.

    The comments to each article reminiscing about decades-old memories more
    than makes up for it, though. Always nice to hear from new people.

    Yesterday was fun, really enjoyed it. Plus both WOS and the YSRnRY got
    FIVE times more traffic due to the BBC article - and WOS stayed up all the
    way through it!

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  8. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Nick Humphries did eloquently scribble:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Matt Rudge wrote:

    >> The video piece and, to a lesser extent, some of the news articles,
    >> annoy me a little because they seem to focus on comparing the speccy's
    >> processor speed and memory to a modern computer, rather than
    >> emphasising the Spectrum's impact and legacy.

    > The comments to each article reminiscing about decades-old memories more
    > than makes up for it, though. Always nice to hear from new people.

    > Yesterday was fun, really enjoyed it. Plus both WOS and the YSRnRY got
    > FIVE times more traffic due to the BBC article - and WOS stayed up all the
    > way through it!

    Wasn't just the bbc article...
    It was slashdotted too.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  9. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Nick Humphries wibbled:

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Matt Rudge wrote:
    >
    > > The video piece and, to a lesser extent, some of the news articles,
    > > annoy me a little because they seem to focus on comparing the
    > > speccy's processor speed and memory to a modern computer, rather
    > > than emphasising the Spectrum's impact and legacy.

    > The comments to each article reminiscing about decades-old memories
    > more than makes up for it, though. Always nice to hear from new
    > people.

    Aye, the BBC article was quite good, it was some of the other ones I
    read that got on my nerves a bit! But.... any publicity for the
    Spectrum's anniversary is good. Enjoyed your comments too, Nick.

    > Yesterday was fun, really enjoyed it. Plus both WOS and the YSRnRY
    > got FIVE times more traffic due to the BBC article - and WOS stayed
    > up all the way through it!

    Out of curiosity I checked the stats for my CGC2006 page and even that
    peaked at three times more traffic than usual yesterday. A rising tide
    lifts all boats

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  10. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    > Out of curiosity I checked the stats for my CGC2006 page and even that
    > peaked at three times more traffic than usual yesterday. A rising tide
    > lifts all boats

    Chris might've bitten off more than he can chew in this year's CGC if it
    generates thousands of entries from newly re-inspired old speccy users from
    around the world who've just rediscovered it through emulation.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  11. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:10:01 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC :

    > Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    > > Out of curiosity I checked the stats for my CGC2006 page and even that
    > > peaked at three times more traffic than usual yesterday. A rising tide
    > > lifts all boats

    YSAC received a fifth of last month's traffic just today (well, it
    says today but I think it means yesterday - crappy hosting company
    which I'm in the process of sorting out)

    > Chris might've bitten off more than he can chew in this year's CGC if it
    > generates thousands of entries from newly re-inspired old speccy users from
    > around the world who've just rediscovered it through emulation.

    Christ, I hope not. I'll have to wade through millions of versions
    of:
    10 PRINT "jeremy is gay!!!!!"
    20 GO TO 10

    All of which get automatically disqualified for not being games.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  12. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Nick Humphries wrote:

    > Yesterday was fun, really enjoyed it. Plus both WOS and the YSRnRY got
    > FIVE times more traffic due to the BBC article - and WOS stayed up all
    > the way through it!

    Must've been only just, then... WOS timed-out at least half a dozen
    times for me at various points during the day!

  13. Re: 25 years ago today...

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 Matt Rudge wrote:

    >The video piece and, to a lesser extent, some of the news articles,
    >annoy me a little because they seem to focus on comparing the speccy's
    >processor speed and memory to a modern computer, rather than
    >emphasising the Spectrum's impact and legacy.

    They might also have found a Speccy without a half-detached keyboard.
    The one having the 'RAM Pack' shoved up it looks like it's about to lose
    its metal template.

    Talking of that RAM Pack, it embarrasses me to say that's the first I've
    seen of such a beast. I remember upgrading my old 16K using a bag of RAM
    chips I ordered through the post, and I was under the impression that
    only the '81 had an external RAM Pack option.

    Was the Spectrum RAM Pack an official Sinclair upgrade or third-party?
    And was it 100% transparent (i.e. did 48K games run OK) or did it differ
    electronically from the chips-on-the-PCB method?

    --
    Kev
    "Juvenile court to try shooting defendant."

  14. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Kevin Reilly did eloquently scribble:
    > Was the Spectrum RAM Pack an official Sinclair upgrade or third-party?
    > And was it 100% transparent (i.e. did 48K games run OK) or did it differ
    > electronically from the chips-on-the-PCB method?

    Probably made by memotech, they did loads of zx81 ones up to about 512K
    using paging, iirc. So it stands to reason they'd do an external one for the
    speccy just to cash in.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  15. Re: 25 years ago today...

    Chris Young wibbled:

    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:10:01 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were
    > rappin' to MC Somebody or other:
    >
    > > Chris might've bitten off more than he can chew in this year's CGC
    > > if it generates thousands of entries from newly re-inspired old
    > > speccy users from around the world who've just rediscovered it
    > > through emulation.

    > Christ, I hope not. I'll have to wade through millions of versions
    > of:
    > 10 PRINT "jeremy is gay!!!!!"
    > 20 GO TO 10
    >
    > All of which get automatically disqualified for not being games.

    Aaaah. In that case, I retract my previous comment: my CGC2007 game
    isn't finished after all.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net