Re: Gaming terms you invented - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Re: Gaming terms you invented - Sinclair ; Paul E Collins wibbled: > > Anybody got any more? > Yes.... but for the life of me I can't remember them now!! I do remember that my brother always used to call the debris in Elite "derbis". The name ...

  1. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    Paul E Collins wibbled:

    > Anybody got any more?

    Yes.... but for the life of me I can't remember them now!!

    I do remember that my brother always used to call the debris in Elite
    "derbis". The name stuck, so now anything that could potentially smash
    a windscreen or cause other mischief is generally referred to as
    "derbis".

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  2. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    Matt Rudge wrote:
    > I do remember that my brother always used to call the debris in Elite
    > "derbis". The name stuck, so now anything that could potentially
    > smash a windscreen or cause other mischief is generally referred to
    > as "derbis".

    What if it only scratched the surface? Epiderbis?

    I remember a driving game which rated your skills at the end of the
    race. A friend of mine was rated "mediocre". Took him a while to read it
    - he came out with "You are medicree! What the..?"

    Since then I've occasionally come out with "Aw, that's medicree!" to
    express distaste.

  3. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    "fuzzix" wrote:

    > I remember a driving game which rated your skills at
    > the end of the race. A friend of mine was rated
    > "mediocre". Took him a while to read it - he came out
    > with "You are medicree! What the..?"

    My father was typing in a BASIC driving game from a book of listings,
    and one of the messages was "Watch out Fittipaldi". Google now tells
    me that Fittipaldi was a racing driver, so this was presumably the
    "excellent score" message.

    I think we assumed it was a sort of insult, because it got changed to
    "Look out blockhead".

    Eq.

  4. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    "Paul E Collins" writes:

    > "Watch out Fittipaldi".

    ... and in Swedish, the first half of his name can be understood
    as a disparaging word for a woman's nether parts, thus a famous
    sketch where they censored his name as Emerson Hmm..paldi.

    --
    Anders Carlsson

  5. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    Anders Carlsson wrote:

    > "Paul E Collins" writes:
    >
    >> "Watch out Fittipaldi".

    > ... and in Swedish, the first half of his name can be understood
    > as a disparaging word for a woman's nether parts, thus a famous
    > sketch where they censored his name as Emerson Hmm..paldi.

    There's a baseball player in America (where else?) called Albert Pujols.
    Not particularly amusing until you hear it out loud. It's pronounced
    "poo-holes". Now *that's* comedy.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  6. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    Duncan Snowden writes:

    > Albert Pujols [..] pronounced "poo-holes".

    Can anyone have more than one? (he idly wondered)

    --
    Anders Carlsson

  7. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    On Apr 22, 4:49 pm, Anders Carlsson wrote:
    > "Paul E Collins" writes:
    >
    > > "Watch out Fittipaldi".

    > .. and in Swedish, the first half of his name can be understood
    > as a disparaging word for a woman's nether parts, thus a famous
    > sketch where they censored his name as Emerson Hmm..paldi.

    Maybe he should have changed his surname to Lakenpalmer. :-)

  8. Re: Gaming terms you invented

    Anders Carlsson wrote:
    > Can anyone have more than one? (he idly wondered)

    Depends on your habits...

    *omits link to disturbing video*

+ Reply to Thread