Stopping autostart/autorun - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Stopping autostart/autorun - Sinclair ; Hi, I want to enter some POKEs into a game on my ZX Spectrum, but whenever i do a LOAD "", my games always autorun. Is there any way I can get the program to just load into memory so ...

  1. Stopping autostart/autorun

    Hi,
    I want to enter some POKEs into a game on my ZX Spectrum, but whenever
    i do a LOAD "", my games always autorun. Is there any way I can get
    the program to just load into memory so I can POKE and then RUN the
    program?

  2. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    Gizmoguy did eloquently scribble:
    > Hi,
    > I want to enter some POKEs into a game on my ZX Spectrum, but whenever
    > i do a LOAD "", my games always autorun. Is there any way I can get
    > the program to just load into memory so I can POKE and then RUN the
    > program?

    yes
    MERGE ""

    That loads the program into RAM, merging it with any other program currently
    in RAM, but does not run the program.

    Of course, it there is no other program in ram, it just loads it, without
    running.

  3. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    On 2007-04-13, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > yes
    > MERGE ""

    Which of course only loads the loader! I'd suggest the chap gets a
    multiface from fleabay, given that most games load a short basic bit
    which then loads the longer machine-code bit.

  4. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    >>MERGE ""

    > Which of course only loads the loader! I'd suggest the chap gets a
    > multiface from fleabay, given that most games load a short basic bit
    > which then loads the longer machine-code bit.

    Yup, on very old games you could MERGE "" the loader, add the POKE line
    somewhere between the LOAD "" CODE line and the RANDOMIZE USR xxxxx, and
    then RUN the tweaked loader. But then copy protection and custom loaders
    and decrypters and things came along to spoil everyone's fun, so from
    then on you either needed an elaborate hack routine with lots of DATA
    lines, or you took the easy way out and used a Multiface to insert the
    POKE into the already loaded game.

  5. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    Well, what a question!

    It really does depend on the game and how its loaded, where its loaded, how
    much protection it has and also how much hacking you want to do. Often if
    basic loads code, you can load the code block elsewhere. You need a header
    reader to do this, and then displace the pokes by the offset and then resave
    the code and use a bespoke loader to put it back where it should have benn.

    Alternatively, get a Multiface and cheat like mad!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Gizmoguy" wrote in message
    news:1176464240.797601.190270@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I want to enter some POKEs into a game on my ZX Spectrum, but whenever
    > i do a LOAD "", my games always autorun. Is there any way I can get
    > the program to just load into memory so I can POKE and then RUN the
    > program?

  6. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    Yes and so many turbo loaders are effectively unhackable without one unless
    you are a masochist.

    Brian

    --
    "Ian Rawlings" wrote in message
    news:slrnf1v5i8.3b4.news06@desktop.tarcus.org.uk.. .
    > On 2007-04-13, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> yes
    >> MERGE ""

    > Which of course only loads the loader! I'd suggest the chap gets a
    > multiface from fleabay, given that most games load a short basic bit
    > which then loads the longer machine-code bit.
    >
    > --
    > Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

  7. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    On 2007-04-14, Brian Gaff wrote:

    > Yes and so many turbo loaders are effectively unhackable without one
    > unless you are a masochist.

    Ah but would a masochist hack a turboloader? You'd have to be one to
    want to do it, but if you wanted to do it, wouldn't you then avoid
    doing it to punish yourself?

    It's like masochist discussing his morning habits, "I like to have a
    cold shower every morning, so I don't!"

  8. Re: Stopping autostart/autorun

    On 14/4/07 11:34, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-04-14, Brian Gaff wrote:
    >
    >> Yes and so many turbo loaders are effectively unhackable without one
    >> unless you are a masochist.

    > Ah but would a masochist hack a turboloader? You'd have to be one to
    > want to do it, but if you wanted to do it, wouldn't you then avoid
    > doing it to punish yourself?

    Does not comp*BOOM*

    --
    Graham Lee