Creating tapes - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Creating tapes - Sinclair ; Hi, I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. ...

  1. Creating tapes

    Hi,
    I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a
    blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. My idea is to 'play' the
    audio of the tape through my PCs sound card and use a tape recorder
    hooked up to my card to record the data, in the same kind of way a ZX
    Spectrum records the data to a tape through a tape recorder. Would
    this work, and what software is available for me to 'play' the the ROM
    as audio?

  2. Re: Creating tapes

    In news:1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com,
    Gizmoguy typed:

    > Hi,
    > I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)

    Hi!

    ROM images do not come in .tzx format. Just thought you should know that.

    D.

  3. Re: Creating tapes

    In news:r0aTh.474$5T2.183@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    Dunny typed:

    > In news:1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com,
    > Gizmoguy typed:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    >> copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)

    > Hi!
    >
    > ROM images do not come in .tzx format. Just thought you should know
    > that.

    Actually, if I might reply to myself here, that's not quite right. If you do
    the following:

    1. Start emulator
    2. Start audio .wav recording or tape-recording as .wav output
    3. SAVE "ROM" CODE 0,16384
    4. Close the .wav recording

    You will then be able to replay that into your Speccy from the soundcard's
    line-out into the EAR socket, with LOAD "" CODE on your speccy. It's not too
    useful, as the ROM is write-protected and so you'll not actually load
    anything.

    However, you *can* get the ROM into a .tzx in this manner.

    HTH!

    D.

  4. Re: Creating tapes

    "Gizmoguy" wrote:

    > I was wondering if it was possible to copy a ROM
    > image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)
    > on to a blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum.

    These TZX conversion tools might be useful:
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html

    As somebody else said, Spectrum programs are not generally "ROMs"
    (unlike, say, those on a console that runs from cartridges). "ROM"
    refers to the fixed lower 16KB containing the machine's BASIC and so
    on.

    Eq.

  5. Re: Creating tapes

    On Apr 11, 7:48 pm, "Dunny" wrote:
    > Innews:r0aTh.474$5T2.183@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    > Dunny typed:
    >
    > > Innews:1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.google groups.com,
    > > Gizmoguy typed:

    > >> Hi,
    > >> I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > >> copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)

    > > Hi!

    > > ROM images do not come in .tzx format. Just thought you should know
    > > that.

    > Actually, if I might reply to myself here, that's not quite right. If you do
    > the following:
    >
    > 1. Start emulator
    > 2. Start audio .wav recording or tape-recording as .wav output
    > 3. SAVE "ROM" CODE 0,16384
    > 4. Close the .wav recording
    >
    > You will then be able to replay that into your Speccy from the soundcard's
    > line-out into the EAR socket, with LOAD "" CODE on your speccy. It's not too
    > useful, as the ROM is write-protected and so you'll not actually load
    > anything.
    >
    > However, you *can* get the ROM into a .tzx in this manner.
    >
    > HTH!
    >
    > D.

    So, I can convert an original ZX Spectrum tape into a .tzx file, but
    not the other way around?

  6. Re: Creating tapes

    On Apr 11, 8:04 pm, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > "Gizmoguy" wrote:
    > > I was wondering if it was possible to copy a ROM
    > > image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)
    > > on to a blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum.

    > These TZX conversion tools might be useful:http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html
    >
    > As somebody else said, Spectrum programs are not generally "ROMs"
    > (unlike, say, those on a console that runs from cartridges). "ROM"
    > refers to the fixed lower 16KB containing the machine's BASIC and so
    > on.
    >
    > Eq.

    Sorry about that. Like I said, I'm new to the ZX Spectrum. By ROM I
    meant a tape image, like a .tzx file you can download.

  7. Re: Creating tapes

    On Apr 11, 7:48 pm, "Dunny" wrote:
    > Innews:r0aTh.474$5T2.183@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net,
    > Dunny typed:
    >
    > > Innews:1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.google groups.com,
    > > Gizmoguy typed:

    > >> Hi,
    > >> I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > >> copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example)

    > > Hi!

    > > ROM images do not come in .tzx format. Just thought you should know
    > > that.

    > Actually, if I might reply to myself here, that's not quite right. If you do
    > the following:
    >
    > 1. Start emulator
    > 2. Start audio .wav recording or tape-recording as .wav output
    > 3. SAVE "ROM" CODE 0,16384
    > 4. Close the .wav recording
    >
    > You will then be able to replay that into your Speccy from the soundcard's
    > line-out into the EAR socket, with LOAD "" CODE on your speccy. It's not too
    > useful, as the ROM is write-protected and so you'll not actually load
    > anything.
    >
    > However, you *can* get the ROM into a .tzx in this manner.
    >
    > HTH!
    >
    > D.

    I just found this: http://www.wintzx.fr.tc/ , winTZX. It looks like
    what I'm after. Thanks.

  8. Re: Creating tapes

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:48:01 GMT da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
    to MC Dunny:

    > You will then be able to replay that into your Speccy from the soundcard's
    > line-out into the EAR socket, with LOAD "" CODE on your speccy. It's not too
    > useful, as the ROM is write-protected and so you'll not actually load
    > anything.
    >
    > However, you *can* get the ROM into a .tzx in this manner.

    I believe Andrew Owen has a method for soft-loading ROM images.

    However, what I suspect Gizmoguy is after is something like PlayTZX.

    Chris

    | Your Sinclair: A Celebration |

  9. Re: Creating tapes

    Do you really mean ROM?

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Gizmoguy" wrote in message
    news:1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a
    > blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. My idea is to 'play' the
    > audio of the tape through my PCs sound card and use a tape recorder
    > hooked up to my card to record the data, in the same kind of way a ZX
    > Spectrum records the data to a tape through a tape recorder. Would
    > this work, and what software is available for me to 'play' the the ROM
    > as audio?

  10. Re: Creating tapes

    On Apr 11, 7:23 pm, "Gizmoguy" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a
    > blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. My idea is to 'play' the
    > audio of the tape through my PCs sound card and use a tape recorder
    > hooked up to my card to record the data, in the same kind of way a ZX
    > Spectrum records the data to a tape through a tape recorder. Would
    > this work, and what software is available for me to 'play' the the ROM
    > as audio?

    Oh dear, not another "the newbie said ROM" feeding frenzy. Can't you
    guys lay of after the 10th time or do you still get a kick out of it?

  11. Re: Creating tapes

    DanSolo wrote:

    > Oh dear, not another "the newbie said ROM" feeding frenzy. Can't you
    > guys lay of after the 10th time or do you still get a kick out of it?

    no ;-), but the questioneer is just double wrong.

    That's foonny... (funny) :-)))

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  12. Re: Creating tapes

    In news:1176381950.939491.106320@e65g2000hsc.googlegr oups.com,
    DanSolo typed:

    > On Apr 11, 7:23 pm, "Gizmoguy" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    >> copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a
    >> blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. My idea is to 'play' the
    >> audio of the tape through my PCs sound card and use a tape recorder
    >> hooked up to my card to record the data, in the same kind of way a ZX
    >> Spectrum records the data to a tape through a tape recorder. Would
    >> this work, and what software is available for me to 'play' the the
    >> ROM as audio?

    > Oh dear, not another "the newbie said ROM" feeding frenzy. Can't you
    > guys lay of after the 10th time or do you still get a kick out of it?

    I personally get a kick out of it. It's hilarious.

    Your problem?

    D.

  13. Re: Creating tapes

    Hi,

    You just have to download Tzx2Wav, and convert your tzx files. Then you put
    your new wave files on a cd, and you can copy it on a tape. (you can also
    convert your wav's to mp3, and put them on a cd, or dvd...)
    Good tool !!! Works great !

    ---------------------------
    Cheers.
    Patrice

    http://bugpat.chez-alice.fr
    Aéromodélisme + Alfa Romeo + Scalex...

    "Gizmoguy" a écrit dans le message de news:
    1176315827.840427.179340@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups. com...
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to the ZX Spectrum, and I was wondering if it was possible to
    > copy a ROM image I had downloaded (like a .TZX, for example) on to a
    > blank tape and use it in my ZX Spectrum. My idea is to 'play' the
    > audio of the tape through my PCs sound card and use a tape recorder
    > hooked up to my card to record the data, in the same kind of way a ZX
    > Spectrum records the data to a tape through a tape recorder. Would
    > this work, and what software is available for me to 'play' the the ROM
    > as audio?

  14. Re: Creating tapes

    >> Oh dear, not another "the newbie said ROM" feeding frenzy. Can't you
    >> guys lay of after the 10th time or do you still get a kick out of it?

    > I personally get a kick out of it. It's hilarious.
    >
    > Your problem?
    >
    > D.

    I don't - I have to settle for the smug satisfaction of knowing that someone
    has been educated. Back in my day before I retired you didn't get consoles
    so you knew what ROMs were and weren't. Just as you knew exactly why shops
    sold double tape deck stereos. It sure as hell wasn't to play 2 tapes at
    once - although that may be why the music industry went to rat **** after
    the 80's. I mean, someone actually tried playing "Where the streets have no
    name" by U2 and "I can't take my eyes off you" by someone[1], at the same
    time. Next thing you know, Pet Shop Boys released it as a song - shame on
    them, look what they've created. And another thing.....oh, ok, I'll get me
    coat...

    [1] No really:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_T..._Off_You.29.22
    It's on Wikipedia - it must be true.

    [2] ZOMG LOL!!!11!!! 1 It's just started playing on the radio!

  15. Re: Creating tapes

    On Apr 11, 1:30 pm, "Gizmoguy" wrote:

    > I just found this:http://www.wintzx.fr.tc/, winTZX. It looks like
    > what I'm after. Thanks.

    No problem. Comp.sys.sinclair: we help those who help themselves.

+ Reply to Thread