zx +3 external PC floppy - Sinclair

This is a discussion on zx +3 external PC floppy - Sinclair ; I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here are questions: 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right? 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm worried ...

  1. zx +3 external PC floppy

    I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    are questions:

    1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    worried that the floppy would take too much current.

  2. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    "orange" wrote in message
    news:1174823633.304952.109890@l75g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    > are questions:
    >
    > 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    > 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    > worried that the floppy would take too much current.

    Have a read of this; http://www.envytech.co.uk/mgt/

  3. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    Well, some used to work, Citizen for example,but nec used to need both
    supplies and a decent one for the motor I guess. I'm out of touch these
    days. How do people cope with HD drives now?

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "orange" wrote in message
    news:1174823633.304952.109890@l75g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    > are questions:
    >
    > 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    > 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    > worried that the floppy would take too much current.

  4. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    news:ZAwNh.1925$Fe4.1122@text.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > Well, some used to work, Citizen for example,but nec used to need both
    > supplies and a decent one for the motor I guess. I'm out of touch these
    > days. How do people cope with HD drives now?

    I,ve got a spare +3 PSU powering my HD on my +3e.

    regards Andy

    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    > Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    > in the display name may be lost.
    > "orange" wrote in message
    > news:1174823633.304952.109890@l75g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >> I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    >> are questions:
    >>
    >> 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    >> 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    >> worried that the floppy would take too much current.

  5. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    "orange" wrote in message
    news:1174823633.304952.109890@l75g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    > are questions:
    >
    > 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    > 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    > worried that the floppy would take too much current.

    Have a read of this; http://www.envytech.co.uk/mgt/

    2nd attempt at sending this as some of mine disappear from the bloody
    servers!!

    That link will give you all the information you need to do it, pinouts the
    lot. It's an MGT 3.5" lifetime drive which actually was for the +3 (among
    others).

    *grrrrr* everything was alright until GoogleGroups came along..

  6. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    Aly wrote:
    > "orange" wrote in message
    > news:1174823633.304952.109890@l75g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >> I'd like to connect 3,5" PC floppy drive (NEC) to ZX Spectrum +3. Here
    >> are questions:
    >>
    >> 1) It seems the PC floppy uses just +5V, right?
    >> 2) Is it safe to take this voltage from "EXPANSION I/O socket"? I'm
    >> worried that the floppy would take too much current.
    >>

    > Have a read of this; http://www.envytech.co.uk/mgt/
    >
    > 2nd attempt at sending this as some of mine disappear from the bloody
    > servers!!
    >
    > That link will give you all the information you need to do it, pinouts the
    > lot. It's an MGT 3.5" lifetime drive which actually was for the +3 (among
    > others).
    >
    > *grrrrr* everything was alright until GoogleGroups came along..

    Current for modern drives should not be a problem - they are certainly
    5V only and are likely to consume less power than old drives.

    From my QL experience, you will find it difficult to find modern PC
    drives that
    have sensible DS line selection. PCs have *always* defaulted to DS1 and
    do the selection in the cable. In their pompous wisdom, manufacturers
    assume they are *all* used for PCs, and dropped the nice jumper
    switches. Most put these on the pcb, and soldering was required. Now
    even that usually disappears.

    .... so if you are using modern drives, expect to have to swap the DS
    lines on the cable to get the first floppy (flp1_ on the QL - I don't
    even *know* how it is referred to on the Spectrum!).

    It would be better to use old drives that have the DS switches.....

    Sorry if this has already been said but I haven't been following the thread.

    --
    Tony Firshman
    @.co.uk

  7. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    "Tony Firshman" wrote in message

    > It would be better to use old drives that have the DS switches.....
    >
    > Sorry if this has already been said but I haven't been following the

    thread.

    The Sony 520 drives I *think* are the only moddable ones at the moment, it
    involves pads but it is documented out there for the 720K machines. Also
    there may be issues with the disk change signal too.

    Maplin I *think* sell the 1.44MB Sony drives, they did a few years back
    anyway.

    Else as Tony says, it'll probably be easier to hunt down an old 720K from
    the 80's/90's. Closest and easiest way to do this would be to buy an
    external drive for either the Atari ST or the Commodore Amiga, then hack it
    up. Probably just a case of changing the connector on the end of the cable
    (once you've figured out what goes where).

    Atari or Commodore drives = about 10 on eBay.

  8. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    On Mar 26, 11:21 am, "Aly" <,shfskf...@sliuflky4iuhdf.erl> wrote:
    > "Tony Firshman" wrote in message

    > > It would be better to use old drives that have the DS switches.....

    > > Sorry if this has already been said but I haven't been following the

    > thread.
    >
    > The Sony 520 drives I *think* are the only moddable ones at the moment, it
    > involves pads but it is documented out there for the 720K machines. Also
    > there may be issues with the disk change signal too.
    >
    > Maplin I *think* sell the 1.44MB Sony drives, they did a few years back
    > anyway.
    >
    > Else as Tony says, it'll probably be easier to hunt down an old 720K from
    > the 80's/90's. Closest and easiest way to do this would be to buy an
    > external drive for either the Atari ST or the Commodore Amiga, then hack it
    > up. Probably just a case of changing the connector on the end of the cable
    > (once you've figured out what goes where).
    >
    > Atari or Commodore drives = about 10 on eBay.

    any PC floppy can be connected to old computers (Amiga , ZX+3) that
    comply with Schugart standard, one diode is needed.
    I have just swapped those wires for DS and added diode for READY
    signal and it works like charm.
    (cathode to DriveSelect1 without cutting line, anode to RDY on Spectum
    side)

  9. Re: zx +3 external PC floppy

    Its extreamly easy to connect an amiga external drive to the plus3/cpc6128 i
    have done it a few times and they work realy well, you just need and
    external 12v/5v psu, i am making some adapters that just plug inbetween the
    drive and plus3/cpc6128 and you just need a 12v psu to power it.

    Regards

    Graham

+ Reply to Thread