tree4th rom w/ xz81? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on tree4th rom w/ xz81? - Sinclair ; Hello all, I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes of playing w/ the tree4th.rom . I didn't see anything in either the man pages or from the website which would indicate how to attach the rom. Is this possible? Or ...

  1. tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    Hello all,
    I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .

    I didn't see anything in either the man pages
    or from the website which would indicate how
    to attach the rom.

    Is this possible? Or would I have to modify the source?
    Anyone have any pointers on modifying the source
    (before I just plow in and *really* screw it up)?

    Thanx,
    Tarkin

  2. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    Tarkin did eloquently scribble:
    > Hello all,
    > I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    > of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .

    Would simply moving the old ROM image and replacing it with the tree4th ROM
    work?

  3. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    On Mar 15, 6:56 pm, "Tarkin" wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    > of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .
    >
    > I didn't see anything in either the man pages
    > or from the website which would indicate how
    > to attach the rom.
    >
    > Is this possible? Or would I have to modify the source?
    > Anyone have any pointers on modifying the source
    > (before I just plow in and *really* screw it up)?
    >
    > Thanx,
    > Tarkin

    You may want to post this question on the boards on www.ts1000.us - I
    am sure one of our regulars will have an answer, or be interested in
    the tree4th rom

    Bill H - www.ts1000.us

  4. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk did eloquently scribble:
    > Tarkin did eloquently scribble:
    >> Hello all,
    >> I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    >> of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .

    > Would simply moving the old ROM image and replacing it with the tree4th ROM
    > work?

    Ah, I'll answer that one myself, it didney werk...
    Got a cursor, but keyboard seemed to be not mapped correctly

  5. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    On Mar 15, 11:26 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > spi...@freenet.co.uk did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > Tarkin did eloquently scribble:
    > >> Hello all,
    > >> I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    > >> of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .

    > > Would simply moving the old ROM image and replacing it with the tree4th ROM
    > > work?

    > Ah, I'll answer that one myself, it didney werk...
    > Got a cursor, but keyboard seemed to be not mapped correctly
    >
    > --
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    > | spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    > | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    > | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |

    Thanks for the try, anyway, Spike.

    As I recently posted to ts1000.us, does anyone know of another
    Linux emulator which supports rom-swapping?

    Thanx,
    Tarkin

  6. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    On Mar 15, 7:26 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > spi...@freenet.co.uk did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > Tarkin did eloquently scribble:
    > >> Hello all,
    > >> I downloaded (x)z81 last night, in hopes
    > >> of playing w/ the tree4th.rom .

    > > Would simply moving the old ROM image and replacing it with the tree4th ROM
    > > work?

    > Ah, I'll answer that one myself, it didney werk...
    > Got a cursor, but keyboard seemed to be not mapped correctly
    >
    > --
    > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    > | spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    > | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    > | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |

    I tried it too...with similar results. I got to thinking:
    wasn't tree4th an American endeavor? Could the
    differnces in timing between PAL and NTSC
    cause the fuss? I booted back into XP to check
    which emulator I used in that environment, and it was
    EightyOne...but I set EightyOne to use NTSC before
    swapping the ROM file.

    TTFN,
    Tarkin

  7. Re: tree4th rom w/ xz81?

    On Mar 19, 4:05 am, "Tarkin" wrote:
    > On Mar 15, 7:26 pm, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >

    > > spi...@freenet.co.uk did eloquently scribble:

    > > > Tarkin did eloquently scribble:
    > > > Would simply moving the old ROM image and replacing it with the tree4th ROM
    > > > work?

    > > Ah, I'll answer that one myself, it didney werk...
    > > Got a cursor, but keyboard seemed to be not mapped correctly

    > > --
    > > __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    > > | spi...@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
    > > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
    > > | in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
    > > | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |

    > I tried it too...with similar results. I got to thinking:
    > wasn't tree4th an American endeavor? Could the
    > differnces in timing between PAL and NTSC
    > cause the fuss? I booted back into XP to check
    > which emulator I used in that environment, and it was
    > EightyOne...but I set EightyOne to use NTSC before
    > swapping the ROM file.
    >
    > TTFN,
    > Tarkin

    Further research has turned up that there are two
    main dependencies for the tree4th ROM to work:
    1) NTSC
    2) 16Kb RAMpack

    There was a clone of tree4th, called H4th, that
    was made for PAL, and I am making a relatively
    safe bet that it needs the 16K RAMpack as well.

    What does this mean?

    Depending on the ROM, the console I/O routines
    will be sensitive to accurate simulation of the
    NTSC or PAL timings; both ROMS will undoubtedly
    require an accurate simulation of the 16K RAMpack
    as well.

    Some Forths, especially those for embedded or
    computationally [1] challenged environments,
    implemented a lot of their core functionality in
    (optimized) assembler, trying to get as close to
    the silicon as possible. Console I/O routines, in
    particular, would be very much hardware & timing
    dependent in host environment like the ZX81/TS1000.

    [1] That is, 8- or 16- bitters, as opposed to more
    modern >33MHz 32+ bit machines- which can and
    do emulate the machines of yesteryear.

    TTFN,
    Tarkin

+ Reply to Thread