Pilau rice recipe? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Pilau rice recipe? - Sinclair ; I do a lot of cooking for myself (it's far cheaper than eating out), and one thing I like is pilau rice to accompany a good curry (or for that matter a crap curry, such as the Tesco ones). I ...

  1. Pilau rice recipe?

    I do a lot of cooking for myself (it's far cheaper than eating out),
    and one thing I like is pilau rice to accompany a good curry (or for
    that matter a crap curry, such as the Tesco ones).

    I used to use Knorr Pilau Rice Stock Cubes, which were simplicity
    itself; 200ml of rice, 300ml of water, two stock cubes, and either a
    knob of butter or a splash of olive oil; mix all together and nuke for
    ten minutes. Unfortunately the bastards have discontinued the stock
    cubes.

    I've tried googling for pilau rice recipes, but all are over-
    complicated (some require frying, a technique not available to me), or
    call for saffron, which is Austrian-village expensive (#2.70 for 400ug
    -- yes, *micro*grams not milligrams -- a whopping #6,750/kg; it would
    probably be cheaper to use gold); or have some other drawback.

    Anyone know a mixture of spices (I presume salt, turmeric and
    cardamon, for a start) I can throw together, perhaps even in advance,
    and use in the same quick-and-easy way I did the cubes?

  2. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    just missing OT mark over here, but :

    the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with chicken or
    bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases of rice based
    dishes.

  3. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    "Bohus Král" napísal v správe
    > just missing OT mark over here, but :
    >
    > the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with chicken or
    > bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases of rice based
    > dishes

    correction : it should be "with chicken or bovine bouillon......"

  4. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    On Mar 14, 4:28 pm, Bohus Král wrote:
    > just missing OT mark over here, but :
    >
    > the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with chicken or
    > bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases of rice based
    > dishes.

    Nope, pilau is definitely a bit more sophisticated than just using
    basil (which IIRC gives a sort of spicy-lemon flavour to dishes, and
    hence is used with tomato a lot; I'm surprised that ground coriander
    seed, which gives a spicy-orange flavour, isn''t more often used this
    way)...

  5. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    napísal

    > just missing OT mark over here, but :
    >
    > the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with chicken or
    > bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases of rice based
    > dishes.

    Nope, pilau is definitely a bit more sophisticated than just using
    basil (which IIRC gives a sort of spicy-lemon flavour to dishes, and
    hence is used with tomato a lot; I'm surprised that ground coriander
    seed, which gives a spicy-orange flavour, isn''t more often used this
    way)...

    That's because I am not able to find what is "pilau" in any dictionary.

  6. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    In article <45f82487$0$90267$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Bohus Král
    writes

    >"Bohus Král" napísal v správe
    >> just missing OT mark over here, but :
    >>
    >> the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with
    >>chicken or bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases
    >>of rice based dishes

    >correction : it should be "with chicken or bovine bouillon......"

    No it shouldn't, Pilau is veggie, no dead animals to see here guv.

  7. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des 14 Mar 2007
    08:51:43 -0700, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk korax1214@gmail.com fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

    >I've tried googling for pilau rice recipes, but all are over-
    >complicated (some require frying, a technique not available to me), or
    >call for saffron, which is Austrian-village expensive (#2.70 for 400ug
    >-- yes, *micro*grams not milligrams -- a whopping #6,750/kg; it would
    >probably be cheaper to use gold); or have some other drawback.
    >
    >Anyone know a mixture of spices (I presume salt, turmeric and
    >cardamon, for a start) I can throw together, perhaps even in advance,
    >and use in the same quick-and-easy way I did the cubes?

    I use salt, tumeric and cumin.

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
    Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary

  8. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    Bohus Král wrote:

    > napísal
    >
    > > just missing OT mark over here, but :
    > >
    > > the most common and attested spice is ordinary black spice with
    > > chicken or bovine stock and sweet basil(basil thyne) for most cases
    > > of rice based dishes.

    > Nope, pilau is definitely a bit more sophisticated than just using
    > basil (which IIRC gives a sort of spicy-lemon flavour to dishes, and
    > hence is used with tomato a lot; I'm surprised that ground coriander
    > seed, which gives a spicy-orange flavour, isn''t more often used this
    > way)...
    >
    > That's because I am not able to find what is "pilau" in any
    > dictionary.

    Hi Bohus!

    With Spices acquired, you can increase the tax-income.

    Best regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  9. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    wrote in message
    news:1173887503.493948.159840@p15g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...

    > I used to use Knorr Pilau Rice Stock Cubes,
    > the bastards have discontinued the stock
    > cubes.
    >
    > I've tried googling for pilau rice recipes, but all are over-
    > complicated (some require frying, a technique not available to me)

    What's the problem with frying?
    Lethal allergy to Teflon?
    Inability to lift a pan? :-)

    > saffron, which is Austrian-village expensive (#2.70 for 400ug)
    > -- yes, *micro*grams not milligrams -- a whopping #6,750/kg

    > it would
    > probably be cheaper to use gold)

    Erm, yes, saffron is well known to be more expensive than gold.

    That's why in the olden days if you adulterated your saffron with turmeric
    they would burn your product and yourself at the stake.

    Luckily a little saffron goes a long way.
    You simply don't need more than a pinch for a heap of rice.

    Mind you, it does rankle that the pinch of spice costs as much as half a
    chicken!

    > Anyone know a mixture of spices (I presume salt, turmeric and
    > cardamom, for a start) I can throw together, perhaps even in advance,
    > and use in the same quick-and-easy way I did the cubes?

    I've got Sharwoods pilau rice stuff in a jar. You melt the stuff over the
    rice in a frying pan, then add the water. It's reasonably tasty.

  10. Re: Pilau rice recipe?

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:06:28 GMT, "Kryten"
    wrote:

    >What's the problem with frying?

    Impossibility to do in a microwave oven.

+ Reply to Thread