Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting! - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting! - Sinclair ; (cross posted to WOS forums, too!) 'ello all! I've been asked to give someone a hand converting images into a format suitable for loading into a *real* spectrum from a CD - i.e. I need to take an image, convert ...

  1. Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    (cross posted to WOS forums, too!)

    'ello all!

    I've been asked to give someone a hand converting images into a format
    suitable for loading into a *real* spectrum from a CD - i.e. I need to
    take an image, convert it to SCR and then convert said SCR into a WAV
    file.

    I've been hacking about with various methods tonight, and all have
    failed. So... can anyone help me?

    Essentially, I used bmp2scr to convert the image into a TAP file, and
    then ran tape2wav over the file, which gave me a 44khz 8-bit mono
    file. While the TAP file loads fine in SPIN 0.61, the WAV file fails
    to load: it manages to load the header, but fails to load the data.

    The same happens with a TZX conversion. Worse, neither the TAP nor
    TZX work in Klive nor SpecEmu - they both fail to "hear" the data.

    Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong (if anything)? Failing
    that, is anyone with a better understanding of said tools able to lend
    a hand and produce a WAV file which can be used?

    The files I've been playing with are available at http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/speccy/

  2. Re: Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    wrote:

    > [converting screens to audio tape file]
    > While the TAP file loads fine in SPIN 0.61, the WAV file fails
    > to load: it manages to load the header, but fails to load the data.

    I loaded your WAV file successfully in Spectaculator.

    Eq.

  3. Re: Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    juice@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    > (cross posted to WOS forums, too!)
    >

    > 'ello all!
    >
    > I've been asked to give someone a hand converting images into a format
    > suitable for loading into a *real* spectrum from a CD - i.e. I need to
    > take an image, convert it to SCR and then convert said SCR into a WAV
    > file.
    >
    > I've been hacking about with various methods tonight, and all have
    > failed. So... can anyone help me?
    >
    > Essentially, I used bmp2scr to convert the image into a TAP file, and
    > then ran tape2wav over the file, which gave me a 44khz 8-bit mono
    > file. While the TAP file loads fine in SPIN 0.61, the WAV file fails
    > to load: it manages to load the header, but fails to load the data.
    >
    > The same happens with a TZX conversion. Worse, neither the TAP nor
    > TZX work in Klive nor SpecEmu - they both fail to "hear" the data.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong (if anything)? Failing
    > that, is anyone with a better understanding of said tools able to lend
    > a hand and produce a WAV file which can be used?
    >
    > The files I've been playing with are available at http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/speccy/

    When I was testing my Delta, I had to set maximum volume on both "PCM"
    and "main" controls in windows, and I also balanced 100% to one channel
    - until I did that, games won't load, now they load fine. So try
    playing with volume a little bit.

    btw it gave me the same symptome - loaded header, but nothing more.

    Vit Herman

  4. Re: Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    wrote in message
    news:1173747225.871300.22490@t69g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com...
    > Essentially, I used bmp2scr to convert the image into a TAP file, and
    > then ran tape2wav over the file, which gave me a 44khz 8-bit mono
    > file. While the TAP file loads fine in SPIN 0.61, the WAV file fails
    > to load: it manages to load the header, but fails to load the data.
    >
    > The same happens with a TZX conversion. Worse, neither the TAP nor
    > TZX work in Klive nor SpecEmu - they both fail to "hear" the data.
    >
    > The files I've been playing with are available at
    > http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/speccy/

    Both of the wav files on that url work fine for me,

    going into 48k mode, then typing

    LOAD "" SCREEN$

    (J) (SYMSHIFT+P) (SYMSHIFT+P) (SYMSHIFT+CAPSHIFT) (SYMSHIFT+K)

    and then starting the wav file playing (either in the emulator via tape
    controls, or via direct sound input from a wav player) works fine.

    I tried them in SPIN, Spectaculator, Klive, and RealSpec32, all load the wav
    files with no problems once the above has been typed.

    Just pressing enter on the tape loader screen in +2 mode will not load the
    wav file, as that only loads programs, and not data/screens.

    Hope that helps.

    /Chip.

  5. Re: Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    On Mar 13, 12:53 am, j...@juice.force9.co.uk wrote:
    > (cross posted to WOS forums, too!)
    >

    > 'ello all!
    >
    > I've been asked to give someone a hand converting images into a format
    > suitable for loading into a *real* spectrum from a CD - i.e. I need to
    > take an image, convert it to SCR and then convert said SCR into a WAV
    > file.
    >
    > I've been hacking about with various methods tonight, and all have
    > failed. So... can anyone help me?
    >
    > Essentially, I used bmp2scr to convert the image into a TAP file, and
    > then ran tape2wav over the file, which gave me a 44khz 8-bit mono
    > file. While the TAP file loads fine in SPIN 0.61, the WAV file fails
    > to load: it manages to load the header, but fails to load the data.
    >
    > The same happens with a TZX conversion. Worse, neither the TAP nor
    > TZX work in Klive nor SpecEmu - they both fail to "hear" the data.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong (if anything)? Failing
    > that, is anyone with a better understanding of said tools able to lend
    > a hand and produce a WAV file which can be used?
    >
    > The files I've been playing with are available athttp://www.caffeinated.org.uk/speccy/

    Thanks to all who tried to help - as people have pointed out, to load
    a SCR, you need to use LOAD "" CODE (or LOAD "" SCREEN$), not just
    LOAD "". SPIN appears to be intelligent enough to work out when this
    is required, which muddied the waters somewhat!

    The files have now been sent off, and the people requesting them
    (Schmoof, fact-fans) is very pleased with the results, so thanks again!

  6. Re: Help with bmp -> scr -> wav converting!

    On Mar 13, 6:34 pm, "Chipmunk" wrote:
    > going into 48k mode, then typing
    >
    > LOAD "" SCREEN$
    >
    > (J) (SYMSHIFT+P) (SYMSHIFT+P) (SYMSHIFT+CAPSHIFT) (SYMSHIFT+K)
    >
    > and then starting the wav file playing (either in the emulator via tape
    > controls, or via direct sound input from a wav player) works fine.
    >
    > I tried them in SPIN, Spectaculator, Klive, and RealSpec32, all load the wav
    > files with no problems once the above has been typed.
    >
    > Just pressing enter on the tape loader screen in +2 mode will not load the
    > wav file, as that only loads programs, and not data/screens.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > /Chip.

    Yups - what he said. I eventually managed to test things in 128k
    mode, as I couldn't remember the key-combo for SCREEN$...

    Um... I'll get me coat!

    Juice

+ Reply to Thread