He who pays the piper calls the tune - Sinclair

This is a discussion on He who pays the piper calls the tune - Sinclair ; The BBC has struck a deal with YouTube to show archive material. http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=1057 There is some good news. They are not going to track down all the copyrighted material up there and in some cases they may put up a ...

  1. He who pays the piper calls the tune

    The BBC has struck a deal with YouTube to show archive material.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=1057

    There is some good news. They are not going to track down all the
    copyrighted material up there and in some cases they may put up a
    better quality version.

    The bad news is that not all channels will be available to UK
    residents who pay the licence fee. This probably has something to do
    with the advertising. They are only to show clips and not the full
    length programs - some of which are already on Google Video.

    However it is a start. The BBC has a vast archive of technical
    material which has no commercial worth but which many people would
    like to view again. Google have the technology and nobody would mind
    the odd advert if things like Micro Live and Horizon could be put up
    again.

    --
    G.

  2. Re: He who pays the piper calls the tune

    But why do they not simply run them on the 3 and 4 networks when nothing is
    on, ie most of the time!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote in message
    news:1172936548.638154.318040@30g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > The BBC has struck a deal with YouTube to show archive material.
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=1057
    >
    > There is some good news. They are not going to track down all the
    > copyrighted material up there and in some cases they may put up a
    > better quality version.
    >
    > The bad news is that not all channels will be available to UK
    > residents who pay the licence fee. This probably has something to do
    > with the advertising. They are only to show clips and not the full
    > length programs - some of which are already on Google Video.
    >
    > However it is a start. The BBC has a vast archive of technical
    > material which has no commercial worth but which many people would
    > like to view again. Google have the technology and nobody would mind
    > the odd advert if things like Micro Live and Horizon could be put up
    > again.
    >
    > --
    > G.

  3. Re: He who pays the piper calls the tune

    Brian Gaff wrote:
    > But why do they not simply run them on the 3 and 4 networks when
    > nothing is on, ie most of the time!

    Because BBC3 and BBC4 share airspace with CBBC and CBeebies, so when the
    latter two channels are broadcasting, BBC3 and 4 have no space left for
    their transmissions. That's why they're never on at the same time.

    A pity though I agree, there does seem to be a potentially huge amount of
    "dead" transmission time that they could use for retransmission of classic
    old programmes.

    --

    (O)enone

  4. Re: He who pays the piper calls the tune

    "\(O\)enone" did eloquently scribble:
    > Brian Gaff wrote:
    >> But why do they not simply run them on the 3 and 4 networks when
    >> nothing is on, ie most of the time!

    > Because BBC3 and BBC4 share airspace with CBBC and CBeebies, so when the
    > latter two channels are broadcasting, BBC3 and 4 have no space left for
    > their transmissions. That's why they're never on at the same time.

    > A pity though I agree, there does seem to be a potentially huge amount of
    > "dead" transmission time that they could use for retransmission of classic
    > old programmes.

    They do, some.
    The avengers is on bbc4 for example. (thusday and friday(repeat))
    Tinker taylor soldier spy is on monday
    The day today on tuesdays (not that old, but still classic)

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  5. Re: He who pays the piper calls the tune

    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > The bad news is that not all channels will be available to UK
    > residents who pay the licence fee. This probably has something to do
    > with the advertising. They are only to show clips and not the full
    > length programs - some of which are already on Google Video.

    Nothing a bit of port tunneling can't handle, unless they know of a way to
    detect if the foreign IP addresses I sometimes use actually have a Brit on
    the end of them.

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  6. Re: He who pays the piper calls the tune

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sat, 3 Mar
    2007 22:24:36 +0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.sinclair,
    yawatina tan reek esk Nick Humphries fornis do
    marikano es bono tan el:

    >On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Geoff Wearmouth wrote:
    >
    >> The bad news is that not all channels will be available to UK
    >> residents who pay the licence fee. This probably has something to do
    >> with the advertising. They are only to show clips and not the full
    >> length programs - some of which are already on Google Video.

    >Nothing a bit of port tunneling can't handle, unless they know of a way to
    >detect if the foreign IP addresses I sometimes use actually have a Brit on
    >the end of them.

    The BBC think my work connection is in Belgium

    deKay
    --
    Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
    Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/