VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason) - Sinclair ; http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php Well, the Acorn Electron is called the Acorn Electric, and Commodore is spelt as Commodor, but it's not too bad....

  1. VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php

    Well, the Acorn Electron is called the Acorn Electric, and Commodore is
    spelt as Commodor, but it's not too bad.

  2. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    On Mar 1, 8:14 pm, "Pokey" wrote:
    > http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php
    >
    > Well, the Acorn Electron is called the Acorn Electric, and Commodore is
    > spelt as Commodor, but it's not too bad.

    Virgin have no excuse. Back in 1964 they published software for most
    of these.
    Well maybe not the ZX80.

    As long as the two Sinclair machines appear before the other one I'm
    OK.

    The TV Listings look a bit thin. No Simpsons. D'oh.

  3. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Virgin have no excuse. Back in 1984 they published software for most
    of these machines.

    -----
    Last edited by Geoff : Some Time Ago at 20:56 PM. Reason: Typo

  4. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Geoff Wearmouth did eloquently scribble:
    > On Mar 1, 8:14 pm, "Pokey" wrote:
    >> http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php
    >>
    >> Well, the Acorn Electron is called the Acorn Electric, and Commodore is
    >> spelt as Commodor, but it's not too bad.

    > Virgin have no excuse. Back in 1964 they published software for most of
    > these. Well maybe not the ZX80.

    No wonder they'd prefer to forget. Their time machine fritzed up and they
    couldn't sell a single one. Not even to the flower power people as mystic
    machine music...

  5. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    (O)enone wrote:

    > And the picture of the PET isn't actually the "chicklet" keyboard model they
    > have described.

    Looks like a 3000 series to me. I presume the "chicklet" keyboard is the
    2000 series which also had a built in cassette?

  6. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    "Pokey" wrote:

    > http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php

    Ugh, what crap. One or two inaccurate, unresearched sentences on each
    computer, as though it was written by a 15-year-old on his lunch
    break.

    Eq.

  7. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Paul E Collins did eloquently scribble:
    > "Pokey" wrote:

    >> http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php

    > Ugh, what crap. One or two inaccurate, unresearched sentences on each
    > computer, as though it was written by a 15-year-old on his lunch
    > break.

    Hope they don't change it though...

    It'd make a good example of "why you should always use more than one source"
    in what they stupidly call "web literacy" but should really just be called
    "common sense".

    Acorn Electric.
    A *sizable* 32k of RAM?!
    it wasn't sizable, and I'm not even sure the 32k was standard for the
    electron. It did have less than the model B and as a result, fewer video
    modes, after all.

    Commodore CBM
    The commodore CBM was the european version of the PET.
    Bull. . It was called the pet here, CBM was the company name.

    The dragon 32
    The dragon had a cool name but its graphics didn't compare to the commodore
    64 or spectrum. (HAHAHA). Why not tell the truth and say it was just a
    ripped of tandy coco? "maybe there are still some enthusiasts out there".

    MZ80K didn't have its own operating system or programming language?
    Was it sold as a blank computer? WTF?

    This website is a perfect example... Please... no-one complain, it'll be a
    good example to show kids.

  8. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    On Mar 2, 3:36 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > Paul E Collins did eloquently scribble:
    >
    > > "Pokey" wrote:
    > >>http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/g...es/retropc.php

    > > Ugh, what crap. One or two inaccurate, unresearched sentences on each
    > > computer, as though it was written by a 15-year-old on his lunch
    > > break.

    > Hope they don't change it though...
    >
    > It'd make a good example of "why you should always use more than one source"
    > in what they stupidly call "web literacy" but should really just be called
    > "common sense".
    >
    > Acorn Electric.
    > A *sizable* 32k of RAM?!
    > it wasn't sizable, and I'm not even sure the 32k was standard for the
    > electron. It did have less than the model B and as a result, fewer video
    > modes, after all.
    >
    > Commodore CBM
    > The commodore CBM was the european version of the PET.
    > Bull. . It was called the pet here, CBM was the company name.
    >
    > The dragon 32
    > The dragon had a cool name but its graphics didn't compare to the commodore
    > 64 or spectrum. (HAHAHA). Why not tell the truth and say it was just a
    > ripped of tandy coco? "maybe there are still some enthusiasts out there".
    >
    > MZ80K didn't have its own operating system or programming language?
    > Was it sold as a blank computer? WTF?
    >
    > This website is a perfect example... Please... no-one complain, it'll be a
    > good example to show kids.
    >
    > --
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*--
    > | spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
    > | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
    > | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    > | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. |

    The Atari 400 - with 800 shown. The C 64 looks like it spent its life
    in a bar, it is so smoke stained. The first TRS-80 was the Model 1,
    not the color computer (or the MO5.COM as they show it)

    Bill H

  9. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Bill H wibbled:

    > On Mar 2, 3:36 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > > Paul E Collins did eloquently
    > > scribble:

    > > > Ugh, what crap. One or two inaccurate, unresearched sentences on
    > > > each computer, as though it was written by a 15-year-old on his
    > > > lunch break.

    > > Hope they don't change it though...
    > >
    > > It'd make a good example of "why you should always use more than
    > > one source" in what they stupidly call "web literacy" but should
    > > really just be called "common sense".
    > >
    > > Acorn Electric.
    > > A sizable 32k of RAM?!
    > > it wasn't sizable, and I'm not even sure the 32k was standard for
    > > the electron. It did have less than the model B and as a result,
    > > fewer video modes, after all.
    > >
    > > Commodore CBM
    > > The commodore CBM was the european version of the PET.
    > > Bull. . It was called the pet here, CBM was the company name.
    > >
    > > The dragon 32
    > > The dragon had a cool name but its graphics didn't compare to the
    > > commodore 64 or spectrum. (HAHAHA). Why not tell the truth and say
    > > it was just a ripped of tandy coco? "maybe there are still some
    > > enthusiasts out there".
    > >
    > > MZ80K didn't have its own operating system or programming language?
    > > Was it sold as a blank computer? WTF?
    > >
    > > This website is a perfect example... Please... no-one complain,
    > > it'll be a good example to show kids.
    > >

    > The Atari 400 - with 800 shown. The C 64 looks like it spent its life
    > in a bar, it is so smoke stained. The first TRS-80 was the Model 1,
    > not the color computer (or the MO5.COM as they show it)

    It looks like the author just ripped random stuff from Wikipedia.

    Anyway, maybe someone at Virgin Media reads c.s.s. and pulled it, cos
    there's just an error page there at the moment!!

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  10. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Matt Rudge wibbled:

    > Bill H wibbled:
    >
    > > On Mar 2, 3:36 am, spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > > > Paul E Collins did eloquently
    > > > scribble:

    > > > Hope they don't change it though...
    > > >
    > > > It'd make a good example of "why you should always use more than
    > > > one source" in what they stupidly call "web literacy" but should
    > > > really just be called "common sense".
    > > >
    > > > Acorn Electric.
    > > > A sizable 32k of RAM?!
    > > > it wasn't sizable, and I'm not even sure the 32k was standard for
    > > > the electron. It did have less than the model B and as a result,
    > > > fewer video modes, after all.
    > > >
    > > > Commodore CBM
    > > > The commodore CBM was the european version of the PET.
    > > > Bull. . It was called the pet here, CBM was the company name.
    > > >
    > > > The dragon 32
    > > > The dragon had a cool name but its graphics didn't compare to the
    > > > commodore 64 or spectrum. (HAHAHA). Why not tell the truth and say
    > > > it was just a ripped of tandy coco? "maybe there are still some
    > > > enthusiasts out there".
    > > >
    > > > MZ80K didn't have its own operating system or programming
    > > > language? Was it sold as a blank computer? WTF?
    > > >
    > > > This website is a perfect example... Please... no-one complain,
    > > > it'll be a good example to show kids.
    > > >

    > > The Atari 400 - with 800 shown. The C 64 looks like it spent its
    > > life in a bar, it is so smoke stained. The first TRS-80 was the
    > > Model 1, not the color computer (or the MO5.COM as they show it)
    > >

    > It looks like the author just ripped random stuff from Wikipedia.
    >
    > Anyway, maybe someone at Virgin Media reads c.s.s. and pulled it, cos
    > there's just an error page there at the moment!!

    It's back now - but the MO5.COM relates to the French retro-computing
    site www.mo5.com - presumably where the Tandy image was ripped off from.

    --
    Matt
    www.mattrudge.net

  11. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    Matt Rudge did eloquently scribble:
    >> It looks like the author just ripped random stuff from Wikipedia.
    >>
    >> Anyway, maybe someone at Virgin Media reads c.s.s. and pulled it, cos
    >> there's just an error page there at the moment!!

    > It's back now - but the MO5.COM relates to the French retro-computing
    > site www.mo5.com - presumably where the Tandy image was ripped off from.

    Some of the text though, looks like he read wikipedia, didn't get it right
    and wrote what he thought he'd read.

    Like the MZ80K bit. Wikipedia says "didn't come with the OS or language on
    ROM"

    The virgin page says "didn't come with the OS or language"

    Similar goofs for the other machines can be read in proper context on the
    wiki.

  12. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Acorn Electric.
    > A *sizable* 32k of RAM?!
    > it wasn't sizable, and I'm not even sure the 32k was standard for the
    > electron. It did have less than the model B and as a result, fewer video
    > modes, after all.

    Also didn't have MODE 7 Teletext, so min screen RAM was 8K MODE 6.

  13. Re: VirginMedia retro computer guide (for some reason)

    On Mar 2, 2:19 am, "Bill H" wrote:
    > The first TRS-80 was the Model 1,
    > not the color computer (or the MO5.COM as they show it)

    That's not a tandy coco, that's an MC-10 which
    came out in about 1983 and survived less than
    a year before being killed off. Precious little to
    do with anything TRS-80 and a really poor example
    of what Tandy was up to. And definitely not a TRS-80
    model I which is what they thought they were showing.

    Amazing even with two sentences on each machine
    that so much can go wrong.

+ Reply to Thread