[OT] Audio stream ripper? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on [OT] Audio stream ripper? - Sinclair ; Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive? I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4) [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't ...

  1. [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?

    I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4)
    [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't been made
    available as a podcast as usual, due to bang-to-rights issues. Or
    something. And I wasn't warned of this, so I've missed the
    broadcast.

    I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    ripper. Anyone?

  2. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    korax1214@gmail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    > can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?

    > I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4)
    > [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't been made
    > available as a podcast as usual, due to bang-to-rights issues. Or
    > something. And I wasn't warned of this, so I've missed the
    > broadcast.

    > I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    > but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    > [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    > ripper. Anyone?

    There're a few. MPlayer can rip streams.
    It can dump the stream directly in the same format (ra) or it can save the
    stream as wav so it's easier to mp3ify it later.

    It's what I use.

  3. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    wrote in message
    news:1172403057.239142.26630@k78g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    > can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?
    >
    > I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4)
    > [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't been made
    > available as a podcast as usual, due to bang-to-rights issues. Or
    > something. And I wasn't warned of this, so I've missed the
    > broadcast.
    >
    > I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    > but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    > [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    > ripper. Anyone?

    Why not try some Anusol!

  4. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote :
    > Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    > can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?
    >
    > I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4)
    > [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't been made
    > available as a podcast as usual, due to bang-to-rights issues. Or
    > something. And I wasn't warned of this, so I've missed the
    > broadcast.
    >
    > I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    > but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    > [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    > ripper. Anyone?

    Find the programme you want to grab -

    e.g.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/...20070215.shtml

    Click the "Listen To This Programme In Full" link and rather than open
    it in a player, save it to your computer, it will save as a .ram file.

    Alter this from a .ram to a .txt file and then open it and you'll get
    an rtsp link e.g. -

    rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_20070215.ra

    Get some software than can download rtsp links, such as FlashGet
    (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm)

    Bob's Ya Uncle.

  5. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:18:39 -0000, "Anusol Man"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >news:1172403057.239142.26630@k78g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    >> can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?
    >>
    >> I want this because last Thursday's "In Our Time" (BBC Radio 4)
    >> [That's except for viewers in Scotland -- sirclive] hasn't been made
    >> available as a podcast as usual, due to bang-to-rights issues. Or
    >> something. And I wasn't warned of this, so I've missed the
    >> broadcast.
    >>
    >> I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    >> but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    >> [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    >> ripper. Anyone?
    >>

    >Why not try some Anusol!

    It should be called "Anus oil"

  6. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    "Lister" wrote in message

    >> Why not try some Anusol!

    > It should be called "Anus oil"

    You're not supposed to use it for that, Lister.

    D.

  7. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:33:48 GMT, CheggersPop
    wrote:

    [snip...]
    >Get some software than can download rtsp links, such as FlashGet
    >(http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm)

    I just tried FlashGet and it doesn't work for me. It gives some
    error such as "Cannot create empty document" (I suppose it's trying to
    create one on C:, but if it asked me which drive I want to use (as it
    ought to), I would tell it to use my thumb-drive, H.

    Anyone know of an RTSP ripper which works?

  8. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    Robert Baker did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:33:48 GMT, CheggersPop
    > wrote:

    > [snip...]
    >>Get some software than can download rtsp links, such as FlashGet
    >>(http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm)

    > I just tried FlashGet and it doesn't work for me. It gives some
    > error such as "Cannot create empty document" (I suppose it's trying to
    > create one on C:, but if it asked me which drive I want to use (as it
    > ought to), I would tell it to use my thumb-drive, H.

    > Anyone know of an RTSP ripper which works?

    Told you.
    Read my article.
    :-p

  9. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:34:12 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >There're a few. MPlayer can rip streams.

    Er, how exactly? I've downloaded MPlayer with MPUI (needed as I only
    have access to Windows, not to a DOS prompt), and MPUI only offers
    playback, not recording!

  10. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    Robert Baker did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:34:12 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >>There're a few. MPlayer can rip streams.

    > Er, how exactly? I've downloaded MPlayer with MPUI (needed as I only
    > have access to Windows, not to a DOS prompt), and MPUI only offers
    > playback, not recording!

    MPUI?
    you have access to the "run" item in start don't you?
    mplayer -ao pcm:file=filename.wav rstp://etcetc
    We are talking about the same MPlayer aren't we?
    http://mplayerhq.hu
    | in |good to you so far... |

  11. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:56:50 GMT, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >you have access to the "run" item in start don't you?

    By a strange coincidence, it happens that on this occasion I do -- I
    usually don't (cybercaff access, remember), so I am at this very
    instant ripping "In Our Time" at last (as filename.wav 'cos I couldn't
    be bothered to do any more than the essential edit to your command
    line.) :-)

  12. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:05:57 GMT, "Dunny"
    wrote:

    >"Lister" wrote in message
    >
    >>> Why not try some Anusol!

    >> It should be called "Anus oil"

    >You're not supposed to use it for that, Lister.

    I know, but since it's depilatory cream, the name is rather
    appropriate

  13. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    In news:tdf6u2hotumnndfci83hv750199kvo3766@4ax.com,
    Lister typed:

    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:05:57 GMT, "Dunny"
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Lister" wrote in message

    >>> It should be called "Anus oil"

    >> You're not supposed to use it for that, Lister.

    > I know, but since it's depilatory cream, the name is rather
    > appropriate

    And here was me thinking it was used to treat bottom-grapes!

    D.

  14. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    Dunny did eloquently scribble:
    > In news:tdf6u2hotumnndfci83hv750199kvo3766@4ax.com,
    > Lister typed:

    >> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:05:57 GMT, "Dunny"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Lister" wrote in message

    >>> You're not supposed to use it for that, Lister.

    >> I know, but since it's depilatory cream, the name is rather
    >> appropriate

    > And here was me thinking it was used to treat bottom-grapes!

    Also good for wrinkles around the eyes, apparently.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  15. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    Robert Baker used his keyboard to write :
    > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:33:48 GMT, CheggersPop
    > wrote:
    >
    > [snip...]
    >> Get some software than can download rtsp links, such as FlashGet
    >> (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm)

    > I just tried FlashGet and it doesn't work for me. It gives some
    > error such as "Cannot create empty document" (I suppose it's trying to
    > create one on C:, but if it asked me which drive I want to use (as it
    > ought to), I would tell it to use my thumb-drive, H.
    >
    > Anyone know of an RTSP ripper which works?

    Net Transport - http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm

  16. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:14:00 GMT, CheggersPop
    wrote:

    >Robert Baker used his keyboard to write :
    >> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:33:48 GMT, CheggersPop
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip...]
    >>> Get some software than can download rtsp links, such as FlashGet
    >>> (http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm)

    >> I just tried FlashGet and it doesn't work for me. It gives some
    >> error such as "Cannot create empty document" (I suppose it's trying to
    >> create one on C:, but if it asked me which drive I want to use (as it
    >> ought to), I would tell it to use my thumb-drive, H.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of an RTSP ripper which works?

    >Net Transport - http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm

    I suspect that one of FlashGet and Net Transport is a badged (if not
    pirate) version of the other -- not only are the icons suspiciously
    similar, but they behave in exactly the same way, throwing up the
    identical dumb error *and* crashing the machine into the bargain!

    I've tried creating a Windows front-end for MPlayer, for use at
    cybercafés where the Start Menu and its Run command are disabled (such
    as the one I'm at presently), but it didn't work -- however, creating
    a custom .BAT file and running that didn't work either...

  17. Re: [OT] Audio stream ripper?

    korax1214@gmail.com wrote:

    > Does software exist such that, whilst listening to streamed audio, I
    > can surreptitiously rip a copy to hard drive?

    > I could go to a cybercaff (but not this one) and use "Listen Again",
    > but if I want to listen at leisure (and without having to stump up 75p
    > [and a packet of Rolos? -- Ed] for the privilege), I'll need a stream-
    > ripper. Anyone?

    YES!!! provisionally!!

    This DOES WORK,
    can you choose the program to use for the streaming audio playback??

    if so, and you can use winamp, winamp has the tools to do just what you
    want.
    IF it works for you, It will do so at speeds as fast as the source can
    ship it out
    I usually get my captures at a much faster rate then real time.
    Now the thing is, lots of folks do not explore the functions of winamp
    to do something like this so it remains underutilized

+ Reply to Thread