Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey) - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey) - Sinclair ; Hello, Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer. I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here )) I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey. It's a french one (same as the english ...

  1. Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Hello,
    Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer.
    I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here ))

    I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey.
    It's a french one (same as the english one, but without the modulator, and
    with specific roms : message in french). First good surprise : everything is
    working (I bought it thinking PSU and joystick were dead, an speccy in an
    unknown condition !)

    I cleaned it, then tested with its original lead (RVB -and composite-/
    Audio).
    The picture is bright and clean (better than my +2A with homemade composite
    output).
    When tape is loading, the sound on TV is OK, but when playing games (I
    tested 2 : Duet and Cauldron), the sound level is very low. I have to
    increase much the sound level on my Tv.
    And, of course, decrease it if I read a tape again...

    Any idea on which component is tired (ZTX 650 ?)

    Thanks guys !

    Patrice
    ZX 128K+2A
    ZX 128K+2 (grey)

    http://bugpat.chez-alice.fr
    Aeromodelisme + Alfa Romeo + Scalex...

  2. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Well, I got the impression that on my old modulator version the sound was
    indeed quiet from the three channel sound chip but the ula sound was quite
    loud. I was not aware this also occurred via direct connection though. My
    feeling is that it was this which made those designing the +3 make it far
    too loud on the machine.

    I'm sure there is probably a mixer or attenuator between the AY chip and the
    sound socket.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Patrice" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer.
    > I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here ))
    >
    > I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey.
    > It's a french one (same as the english one, but without the modulator, and
    > with specific roms : message in french). First good surprise : everything
    > is
    > working (I bought it thinking PSU and joystick were dead, an speccy in an
    > unknown condition !)
    >
    > I cleaned it, then tested with its original lead (RVB -and composite-/
    > Audio).
    > The picture is bright and clean (better than my +2A with homemade
    > composite
    > output).
    > When tape is loading, the sound on TV is OK, but when playing games (I
    > tested 2 : Duet and Cauldron), the sound level is very low. I have to
    > increase much the sound level on my Tv.
    > And, of course, decrease it if I read a tape again...
    >
    > Any idea on which component is tired (ZTX 650 ?)
    >
    > Thanks guys !
    >
    > Patrice
    > ZX 128K+2A
    > ZX 128K+2 (grey)
    >
    > http://bugpat.chez-alice.fr
    > Aeromodelisme + Alfa Romeo + Scalex...

  3. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    > Hello,
    > Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer.
    > I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here ))

    > I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey.
    > It's a french one (same as the english one, but without the modulator, and
    > with specific roms : message in french). First good surprise : everything is
    > working (I bought it thinking PSU and joystick were dead, an speccy in an
    > unknown condition !)

    > I cleaned it, then tested with its original lead (RVB -and composite-/
    > Audio).
    > The picture is bright and clean (better than my +2A with homemade composite
    > output).
    > When tape is loading, the sound on TV is OK, but when playing games (I
    > tested 2 : Duet and Cauldron), the sound level is very low. I have to
    > increase much the sound level on my Tv.
    > And, of course, decrease it if I read a tape again...

    > Any idea on which component is tired (ZTX 650 ?)

    Not sure there IS a "tired" component.
    In the normal speccy 128/+2, audio is inserted into the TV signal with a PAL
    modulator (had no idea the french version didn't have a SECAM modulator).

    The beeper is 3 times louder than any individual AY audio channel. (Or if
    you like, the level of all 3 channels is the same as the beeper)

    (IIRC)
    It may be that the audio mix was tweeked a little prior to modulation on a
    PAL spectrum, whilst you're taking the audio output from the tape socket.

    Could be wrong though, it's been quite a long time since I had a 128 that
    actually fully worked.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  4. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    a écrit dans le message de news:
    75uaa4-s7e.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    > Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    > > Hello,
    > > Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer.
    > > I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here ))

    > > I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey.
    > > It's a french one (same as the english one, but without the modulator,

    and
    > > with specific roms : message in french). First good surprise :

    everything is
    > > working (I bought it thinking PSU and joystick were dead, an speccy in

    an
    > > unknown condition !)

    > > I cleaned it, then tested with its original lead (RVB -and composite-/
    > > Audio).
    > > The picture is bright and clean (better than my +2A with homemade

    composite
    > > output).
    > > When tape is loading, the sound on TV is OK, but when playing games (I
    > > tested 2 : Duet and Cauldron), the sound level is very low. I have to
    > > increase much the sound level on my Tv.
    > > And, of course, decrease it if I read a tape again...

    > > Any idea on which component is tired (ZTX 650 ?)

    > Not sure there IS a "tired" component.
    > In the normal speccy 128/+2, audio is inserted into the TV signal with a

    PAL
    > modulator (had no idea the french version didn't have a SECAM modulator).
    >
    > The beeper is 3 times louder than any individual AY audio channel. (Or if
    > you like, the level of all 3 channels is the same as the beeper)
    >
    > (IIRC)
    > It may be that the audio mix was tweeked a little prior to modulation on a
    > PAL spectrum, whilst you're taking the audio output from the tape socket.
    >
    > Could be wrong though, it's been quite a long time since I had a 128 that
    > actually fully worked.

    I don't know.
    I'm using my second 128+2 (A) with a homemade audio and composite lead, and
    the sound of a tape loading or of a game is almost at the same level.
    On my new grey +2, I'm using the original rvb-audio lead (in France we had
    no modulator on the Speccy, but they all were sold with the RVB lead)
    I don't remember that the sound level while playing game was so low with my
    first spectrum (+2 grey) but that's a long time ago, I sold it in 1990...

  5. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    And the old one was definitely a grey one? I can recall selling roms and an
    edge connector track mover so one could use the +2A as a +2.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Patrice" wrote in message

    > a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 75uaa4-s7e.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    >> Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    >> > Hello,
    >> > Yesterday I posted this message on WorldOfSpectrum, but no answer.
    >> > I just found this newsgroup, so I will ask my question here ))

    >> > I received yesterday my "new" Spectrum 128K+2 grey.
    >> > It's a french one (same as the english one, but without the modulator,

    > and
    >> > with specific roms : message in french). First good surprise :

    > everything is
    >> > working (I bought it thinking PSU and joystick were dead, an speccy in

    > an
    >> > unknown condition !)

    >> > I cleaned it, then tested with its original lead (RVB -and composite-/
    >> > Audio).
    >> > The picture is bright and clean (better than my +2A with homemade

    > composite
    >> > output).
    >> > When tape is loading, the sound on TV is OK, but when playing games (I
    >> > tested 2 : Duet and Cauldron), the sound level is very low. I have to
    >> > increase much the sound level on my Tv.
    >> > And, of course, decrease it if I read a tape again...

    >> > Any idea on which component is tired (ZTX 650 ?)

    >> Not sure there IS a "tired" component.
    >> In the normal speccy 128/+2, audio is inserted into the TV signal with a

    > PAL
    >> modulator (had no idea the french version didn't have a SECAM modulator).
    >>
    >> The beeper is 3 times louder than any individual AY audio channel. (Or if
    >> you like, the level of all 3 channels is the same as the beeper)
    >>
    >> (IIRC)
    >> It may be that the audio mix was tweeked a little prior to modulation on
    >> PAL spectrum, whilst you're taking the audio output from the tape socket.
    >>
    >> Could be wrong though, it's been quite a long time since I had a 128 that
    >> actually fully worked.

    > I don't know.
    > I'm using my second 128+2 (A) with a homemade audio and composite lead,
    > and
    > the sound of a tape loading or of a game is almost at the same level.
    > On my new grey +2, I'm using the original rvb-audio lead (in France we had
    > no modulator on the Speccy, but they all were sold with the RVB lead)
    > I don't remember that the sound level while playing game was so low with
    > my
    > first spectrum (+2 grey) but that's a long time ago, I sold it in 1990...

  6. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Yep. My first computer was a grey +2 (1986)... I sold it in 1990, to buy my
    first Atari ST (now I have 4 of them), but I missed my Speccy a lot (I
    didn't sold my tapes )) !)...
    Last week, I bought the +2A on Ebay.uk, and a lightphaser too, and 3 days
    later I found the grey +2 on ebay.fr for almost nothing !
    On the +2A I modified the 2 joystick ports to use my atari joysticks, and
    then add the audio / composite out. Next mod : audio in...

    I know the possibility to change the rom of +2A. I read on a forum that
    someone put 2 grey roms in his +2A (the +2A has 2 roms, the grey only 1),
    and it worked. Maybe later I will try the +2/3E roms, and a memory card
    interface (ZXCF or ZXMMC+ or divIDE)...

    But my problem today is to have more sound while playing games on my grey +2
    ))

    Cheers.

    Patrice

    "Brian Gaff" a écrit dans le message de news:
    LACAh.11941$9S5.3764@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > And the old one was definitely a grey one? I can recall selling roms and

    an
    > edge connector track mover so one could use the +2A as a +2.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    > Note:- In order to reduce spam, any email without 'Brian Gaff'
    > in the display name may be lost.
    > "Patrice" wrote in message
    > >
    > > a écrit dans le message de news:
    > > 75uaa4-s7e.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    > >> Patrice did eloquently scribble:

    modulator,
    > > and

    > > everything is

    in
    > > an

    composite-/

    > > composite

    (I

    > >> Not sure there IS a "tired" component.
    > >> In the normal speccy 128/+2, audio is inserted into the TV signal with

    > > PAL
    > >> modulator (had no idea the french version didn't have a SECAM

    modulator).

    > >> The beeper is 3 times louder than any individual AY audio channel. (Or

    if
    > >> you like, the level of all 3 channels is the same as the beeper)
    > >>
    > >> (IIRC)
    > >> It may be that the audio mix was tweeked a little prior to modulation

    on
    > >> PAL spectrum, whilst you're taking the audio output from the tape

    socket.

    > >> Could be wrong though, it's been quite a long time since I had a 128

    that
    > >> actually fully worked.

    > > I don't know.
    > > I'm using my second 128+2 (A) with a homemade audio and composite lead,
    > > and
    > > the sound of a tape loading or of a game is almost at the same level.
    > > On my new grey +2, I'm using the original rvb-audio lead (in France we

    had
    > > no modulator on the Speccy, but they all were sold with the RVB lead)
    > > I don't remember that the sound level while playing game was so low with
    > > my
    > > first spectrum (+2 grey) but that's a long time ago, I sold it in

    1990...

  7. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Oooops, sorry : I wanted to say RGB (RVB is red-green-blue in french !)

    ;-D

  8. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    > Oooops, sorry : I wanted to say RGB (RVB is red-green-blue in french !)

    I figured that out.

    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  9. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    Hello,

    Ok, forgot what I was asking for, and don't laugh : Yesterday I tried
    another game (Sacred Armour of Antiriad - in 48k mode), and the sound was
    all right !!!
    So I think that the problem was not in the computer itself, but in the 2
    games I tried before (Duet and Cauldron), in which the sound level must be
    low !!! I'll try them on the +2A (I think duet doesn't work on +2A)...

    Sorry for disturbance ! ))))))

    Cheers

    Patrice

    a écrit dans le message de news:
    oakba4-m0f.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    > Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    > > Oooops, sorry : I wanted to say RGB (RVB is red-green-blue in french !)

    > I figured that out.
    >
    > --

    __
    > | spike1@freenet.co.uk |

    > |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that

    doesn't |
    > | in | suck is probably the day they start making

    > | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

    ----

  10. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    No, its the balance between the AY chip sound and the ULA sound by the
    sounds of it. What you need to know is where the mixing takes place and
    choose some lower value resistors.

    "Patrice" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Ok, forgot what I was asking for, and don't laugh : Yesterday I tried
    > another game (Sacred Armour of Antiriad - in 48k mode), and the sound was
    > all right !!!
    > So I think that the problem was not in the computer itself, but in the 2
    > games I tried before (Duet and Cauldron), in which the sound level must be
    > low !!! I'll try them on the +2A (I think duet doesn't work on +2A)...
    >
    > Sorry for disturbance ! ))))))
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Patrice
    >
    > a écrit dans le message de news:
    > oakba4-m0f.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com...
    >> Patrice did eloquently scribble:
    >> > Oooops, sorry : I wanted to say RGB (RVB is red-green-blue in french !)

    >> I figured that out.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > __________________________________________________ __________________________
    > __
    >> | spike1@freenet.co.uk |

    >> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that

    > doesn't |
    >> | in | suck is probably the day they start making

    >> | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

    > ----

  11. Re: Low audio level on a 128k+2 (grey)

    You also got replies on W.O.S. ....
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread