QL IDE adapter? - Sinclair

This is a discussion on QL IDE adapter? - Sinclair ; Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to expand my rediscovered QL Thanks Ian....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: QL IDE adapter?

  1. QL IDE adapter?

    Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    expand
    my rediscovered QL

    Thanks

    Ian.


  2. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    > Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    > like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    > expand
    > my rediscovered QL


    Check out tf services and rwap.
    Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.

    --
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
    | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
    | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. |
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >> Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    >> like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    >> expand
    >> my rediscovered QL

    >
    > Check out tf services and rwap.
    > Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.
    >

    None here (8-(#

    Qubide is the best, but not too practicable in a std QL - it is best in
    a PC style case. Falkenburg also did one, but avoid it (badly made).
    Miracle systems did a stand alone one that used the ROM port.
    Good if you find one, and keep edge connector clean.

    I remember the first. It was a nice looking Medic one. It turned out
    *all* it was was a box painted black. They went bust before turning it
    into anything real. The boss, Skoglund, ended up in jail, not for that
    I think, but for fraud.

    --
    Tony Firshman
    @.co.uk

  4. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    Tony Firshman wrote:
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >>dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>
    >>>Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    >>>like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    >>>expand
    >>>my rediscovered QL

    >>
    >>Check out tf services and rwap.
    >>Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.
    >>

    >
    > None here (8-(#


    I remember a DIY plan for making a HD adapter for the Amiga 1000 back in
    the days. I remember that all they needed was a single 8 bit latch chip
    to make the ISA card run on the Amiga bus in I/O mode. It was very
    simple 8-bit polling, just like a printer port.

    I don't know anything about the QL (ZX81/Speccy only), but is uses the
    same CPU as the Amiga, and maybe someone can hack this up. If you are
    interested, I'll try to find the article (it was in c't, a German
    computer magazin).

    Cheers,

    Matt

  5. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    Matthias Melcher wrote:
    > Tony Firshman wrote:
    >> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>> dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>>
    >>>> Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    >>>> like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    >>>> expand
    >>>> my rediscovered QL
    >>>
    >>> Check out tf services and rwap.
    >>> Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.
    >>>

    >>
    >> None here (8-(#

    >
    > I remember a DIY plan for making a HD adapter for the Amiga 1000 back in
    > the days. I remember that all they needed was a single 8 bit latch chip
    > to make the ISA card run on the Amiga bus in I/O mode. It was very
    > simple 8-bit polling, just like a printer port.
    >
    > I don't know anything about the QL (ZX81/Speccy only), but is uses the
    > same CPU as the Amiga, and maybe someone can hack this up. If you are
    > interested, I'll try to find the article (it was in c't, a German
    > computer magazin).

    The QL Qubide is a device (via device driver) and boots the QL.
    If it was that easy to run an ISA card on the QL, I am *sure* it would
    have been done in the 80s.
    Did the Amiga use MSDOS style disk formats, like the Atari.

    Mind you the *hard* bit is the device driver.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Firshman
    @.co.uk

  6. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    Tony Firshman wrote:
    > Matthias Melcher wrote:
    >
    >>Tony Firshman wrote:
    >>
    >>>spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    >>>>>like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    >>>>>expand
    >>>>>my rediscovered QL
    >>>>
    >>>>Check out tf services and rwap.
    >>>>Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>None here (8-(#

    >>
    >>I remember a DIY plan for making a HD adapter for the Amiga 1000 back in
    >>the days. I remember that all they needed was a single 8 bit latch chip
    >>to make the ISA card run on the Amiga bus in I/O mode. It was very
    >>simple 8-bit polling, just like a printer port.
    >>
    >>I don't know anything about the QL (ZX81/Speccy only), but is uses the
    >>same CPU as the Amiga, and maybe someone can hack this up. If you are
    >>interested, I'll try to find the article (it was in c't, a German
    >>computer magazin).

    >
    > The QL Qubide is a device (via device driver) and boots the QL.
    > If it was that easy to run an ISA card on the QL, I am *sure* it would
    > have been done in the 80s.

    They did.
    The Miracle Systems rom port I/F hard drive had a Western Digital 8 bit
    ISA hard disk controller and IIRC a ST506 I/F RLL drive (either 20 or 40
    Mb) so its been done before.

    > Did the Amiga use MSDOS style disk formats, like the Atari.
    >

    No, very wierd ones :-)
    > Mind you the *hard* bit is the device driver.
    >
    > Tony



    --
    Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
    ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
    [dot]=.
    *Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.

  7. Re: QL IDE adapter?

    Ian Malcolm wrote:
    > Tony Firshman wrote:
    >> Matthias Melcher wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tony Firshman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would
    >>>>>> like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to
    >>>>>> expand
    >>>>>> my rediscovered QL
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Check out tf services and rwap.
    >>>>> Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> None here (8-(#
    >>>
    >>> I remember a DIY plan for making a HD adapter for the Amiga 1000 back in
    >>> the days. I remember that all they needed was a single 8 bit latch chip
    >>> to make the ISA card run on the Amiga bus in I/O mode. It was very
    >>> simple 8-bit polling, just like a printer port.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know anything about the QL (ZX81/Speccy only), but is uses the
    >>> same CPU as the Amiga, and maybe someone can hack this up. If you are
    >>> interested, I'll try to find the article (it was in c't, a German
    >>> computer magazin).

    >>
    >> The QL Qubide is a device (via device driver) and boots the QL.
    >> If it was that easy to run an ISA card on the QL, I am *sure* it would
    >> have been done in the 80s.

    > They did.
    > The Miracle Systems rom port I/F hard drive had a Western Digital 8 bit
    > ISA hard disk controller and IIRC a ST506 I/F RLL drive (either 20 or 40
    > Mb) so its been done before.

    Oh yes indeed, but that was quite a major hardware interface - it was
    *far* from a simple use of the bus.
    .... for instance the ROM port is officially read-only and only supported
    16k.

    Tony



    --
    Tony Firshman
    @.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread