+2A startup problems - Sinclair

This is a discussion on +2A startup problems - Sinclair ; Hi, Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this: I recently got a +2A of ebay. However, I would estimate that I can only get it to actually start up once out of about 10 attempts. ...

  1. +2A startup problems

    Hi,

    Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this: I recently got
    a +2A of ebay. However, I would estimate that I can only get it to actually
    start up once out of about 10 attempts. The rest of the time I get dead
    screens that go nowhere or bits of left over screen from the last game I was
    playing.

    Is this a common thing and is there anything that can be done? Thanks in
    advance.

    Alex

  2. Re: +2A startup problems

    Well, I just left it turned on for about an hour then reset it and it works
    now. Perhaps it was just through lack of use.

    Something that is annoying is that I can't plug my laptop into the +2A and
    load WAV files (like I do with my +3). Is the tape/sound socket different on
    a +2A?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  3. Re: +2A startup problems

    I'd go in if I were you and check the seating of the two rom chips. Both the
    +3 and 2A had a problem where these worked loose or had oxidised pins, but
    reseating them cured most of the start up problems.There were some timing
    problems with some makes of chip, but this manifested itself as a kind of
    large size checkerboard in stippled magenta.

    The tape socket is different yes, its crap. It has some kind of clipping on
    it and it never was a s good as the grey plus 2, even from the tape recorder
    socket inside.

    A pain in the rear.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    "Alex Toft" wrote in message
    > Well, I just left it turned on for about an hour then reset it and it
    > works now. Perhaps it was just through lack of use.
    >
    > Something that is annoying is that I can't plug my laptop into the +2A and
    > load WAV files (like I do with my +3). Is the tape/sound socket different
    > on a +2A?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alex

  4. Re: +2A startup problems

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:07:54 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
    wrote:

    >The tape socket is different yes, its crap. It has some kind of clipping on
    >it and it never was a s good as the grey plus 2, even from the tape recorder
    >socket inside.

    The grey +2 has no external tape input, and I believe the +2A is the
    same in this respect. I don't own a +2A, but everything I have heard
    suggests that the socket is still a stereo one, but the input is not
    connected up internally, so you can't use an external tape player for

    Of course, these limitations can be bypassed using a screwdriver and a
    soldering iron :-)
    --
    Please remove all-your-clothes before replying.

  5. Re: +2A startup problems

    The socket on the +2A is labelled tape/sound exactly the same as the +3, so
    I just assumed it would be the same.

    alex

  6. Re: +2A startup problems

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:45:13 GMT, "Alex Toft"
    wrote:

    >The socket on the +2A is labelled tape/sound exactly the same as the +3, so
    >I just assumed it would be the same.

    A perfectly reasonable assumption, but unfortunately it is not true
    :-( Apparently, there isn't even a track on the PCB going to the
    relevant pin on the Sound socket.

    (All this is hearsay, though - if anyone can confirm it would be
    appreciated.)
    --
    Please remove all-your-clothes before replying.

  7. Re: +2A startup problems

    Tim Fardell escreveu:
    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:45:13 GMT, "Alex Toft"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The socket on the +2A is labelled tape/sound exactly the same as the +3, so
    >> I just assumed it would be the same.

    > A perfectly reasonable assumption, but unfortunately it is not true
    > :-( Apparently, there isn't even a track on the PCB going to the
    > relevant pin on the Sound socket.
    >
    > (All this is hearsay, though - if anyone can confirm it would be
    > appreciated.)

    I have a few +2As, and I'm quite sure you can connect an external player
    to the tape/sound and use it to load, not just save.

    (Disclaimer: my memory is going fast, so the above statement could be
    completely false)

    --
    KLP2

  8. Re: +2A startup problems

    On Feb 8, 10:45 am, KLP2 wrote:
    > Tim Fardell escreveu:
    >
    > > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:45:13 GMT, "Alex Toft"
    > > wrote:

    > >> The socket on the +2A is labelled tape/sound exactly the same as the +3, so
    > >> I just assumed it would be the same.

    > > A perfectly reasonable assumption, but unfortunately it is not true
    > > :-( Apparently, there isn't even a track on the PCB going to the
    > > relevant pin on the Sound socket.

    > > (All this is hearsay, though - if anyone can confirm it would be
    > > appreciated.)

    > I have a few +2As, and I'm quite sure you can connect an external player
    > to the tape/sound and use it to load, not just save.
    >
    > (Disclaimer: my memory is going fast, so the above statement could be
    > completely false)

    I am not sure where I read it, but I remember seeing somewhere that
    the early +2a boards had the same TAPE/SOUND socket of the +3 (that
    is, you can load AND save), but they were changed afterwards. Could
    anyone confirm this?

    utopian

  9. Re: +2A startup problems

    mine looks externally exactly the same as the +3, but I can't get my +2A to
    recognise an external tape at all.

    alex

  10. Re: +2A startup problems

    Alex Toft escreveu:
    > mine looks externally exactly the same as the +3, but I can't get my +2A to
    > recognise an external tape at all.
    >
    > alex

    I guess you can solder a wire from the socket to the tape input
    connector on the board.

    --
    KLP2

+ Reply to Thread