765 FDC - Sinclair

This is a discussion on 765 FDC - Sinclair ; Does anyone have of know were i could get a replacement FDC for my plus 3 from? -- Regards ------------------------------------------------------------------ Graham ------------------------------------------------------------------ Spectrum Plus3 - Multiface3 - ZXAZTASP - 3.5 External drive - ABBA Switch Spectrum 48K - Plus D ...

  1. 765 FDC

    --

    Regards

    Graham
    Spectrum Plus3 - Multiface3 - ZXAZTASP - 3.5 External drive - ABBA Switch
    Spectrum 48K - Plus D
    Amstrad 6128 - 2 x Rom Box - Multiface2 - 512k Ram Expantion - 3.5 External
    Drive - ABBA Switch

  2. Re: 765 FDC

    A broken +3 or cpc machine I'd suspect.

    I've never heard of one going down, its usually the drive belt or the
    alignment.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Graham Prout" wrote in message
    > Does anyone have of know were i could get a replacement FDC for my plus 3
    > from?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards

    > Graham
    > Spectrum Plus3 - Multiface3 - ZXAZTASP - 3.5 External drive - ABBA Switch
    > Spectrum 48K - Plus D
    > Amstrad 6128 - 2 x Rom Box - Multiface2 - 512k Ram Expantion - 3.5
    > External Drive - ABBA Switch

  3. Re: 765 FDC

    I know that its the chip as i blew it messing about with 3 1/2" drives
    neither the a: or b: drives will work, the both work with my 6128.
    Every other aspect of the plus3 works just fine i.e. loading from tape,
    multiface3 etc.

    Regards

    graham

  4. Re: 765 FDC

    I don't think the chip is still made, so a reclaim job might be all one can
    do.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff - briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
    in the display name may be lost.
    >I know that its the chip as i blew it messing about with 3 1/2" drives
    >neither the a: or b: drives will work, the both work with my 6128.
    > Every other aspect of the plus3 works just fine i.e. loading from tape,
    > multiface3 etc.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > graham

  5. Re: 765 FDC

    "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    >I don't think the chip is still made, so a reclaim job might be all one can
    >do.

    Indeed, but IIRC the 765 is the FDC of the original IBM PC, so a
    register-compatible clone exists in modern PC glue logic chips (until the
    floppy disk becomes completely obsolete, as RS232 and LPT are heading).

    One might be able to get a modern PC glue logic chip and kludge it into your
    765 socket. Just ignore the non-765 bits.

    They are usually gullwing flatpacks but you might be able to just wire an
    old ISA FDC card in there. Not wonderfully elegant, but if it does the
    job...

  6. Re: 765 FDC

    "Kryten" wrote in

    > "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    >>I don't think the chip is still made, so a reclaim job might be all
    >>one can do.

    > Indeed, but IIRC the 765 is the FDC of the original IBM PC, so a
    > register-compatible clone exists in modern PC glue logic chips (until
    > the floppy disk becomes completely obsolete, as RS232 and LPT are
    > heading).

    That is indeed true, and there where also several clones of the chip, so
    a search of old ISA floppy controlers, and also some old combined MFM/RLL
    hard drive floppy boards, also had them as seperate chips, so an ebay
    search may be worth it, possibly ebay.com might be a better place to
    search if you can find someone that will ship outside the USA

    > One might be able to get a modern PC glue logic chip and kludge it
    > into your 765 socket. Just ignore the non-765 bits.

    The problem with that is that most modern stuff is designed to work at
    3.3v or less, it would also probably be designed to work with a 16 or 32
    bit data bus which might be more trouble than it's worth to interface to.

    Plus as you say below, they're normally in surface mount flatpacks, which
    are more of a challenge to solder / work with than DIP (I speak from
    experience, having ordered by mistake a XLINX CPLD as a flatpack instead
    of a PLCC , and cause I had it, I designed a board for it just for the
    hell of it....it's interesting trying to lign up a 100pin device with
    0.2mm wide pins...did get it to work tho...).

    > They are usually gullwing flatpacks but you might be able to just wire
    > an old ISA FDC card in there. Not wonderfully elegant, but if it does
    > the job...

    This you may be able to do, especially if you used an 8 bit card, again
    not elegant, and to be honest the simpler solution may be a second hand +
    3.....

    Cheers.

    Phill.

  7. Re: 765 FDC

    On Jan 23, 7:24 pm, Prime wrote:
    > "Kryten" wrote innews:7Twth.72745$KT2.28501@newsfe2-win.ntli.net:
    >
    > > "Brian Gaff" wrote in message
    > >>I don't think the chip is still made, so a reclaim job might be all
    > >>one can do.

    > > Indeed, but IIRC the 765 is the FDC of the original IBM PC, so a
    > > register-compatible clone exists in modern PC glue logic chips (until
    > > the floppy disk becomes completely obsolete, as RS232 and LPT are
    > > heading).That is indeed true, and there where also several clones of the chip, so

    > a search of old ISA floppy controlers, and also some old combined MFM/RLL
    > hard drive floppy boards, also had them as seperate chips, so an ebay
    > search may be worth it, possibly ebay.com might be a better place to
    > search if you can find someone that will ship outside the USA
    >
    > > One might be able to get a modern PC glue logic chip and kludge it
    > > into your 765 socket. Just ignore the non-765 bits.The problem with that is that most modern stuff is designed to work at

    > 3.3v or less, it would also probably be designed to work with a 16 or 32
    > bit data bus which might be more trouble than it's worth to interface to.
    >
    > Plus as you say below, they're normally in surface mount flatpacks, which
    > are more of a challenge to solder / work with than DIP (I speak from
    > experience, having ordered by mistake a XLINX CPLD as a flatpack instead
    > of a PLCC , and cause I had it, I designed a board for it just for the
    > hell of it....it's interesting trying to lign up a 100pin device with
    > 0.2mm wide pins...did get it to work tho...).
    >
    > > They are usually gullwing flatpacks but you might be able to just wire
    > > an old ISA FDC card in there. Not wonderfully elegant, but if it does
    > > the job...This you may be able to do, especially if you used an 8 bit card, again

    > not elegant, and to be honest the simpler solution may be a second hand +
    > 3.....
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Phill.

    This is all news to me. JDR Microdevices carries one. Here's
    the link:
    http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=Z0765A08
    40 pin. I bought one from them years ago. Never used it,
    but I know they have it.

    HTH,
    Tarkin

+ Reply to Thread