Re: Sumo TV - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Re: Sumo TV - Sinclair ; "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote: > http://www.sumo.tv/video/826715 That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font, probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and ...

  1. Re: Sumo TV

    "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote:

    > http://www.sumo.tv/video/826715

    That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font,
    probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    message quite wrong.

    I wouldn't be so pedantic about this but I don't like people without a
    clue co-opting the Spectrum as an ironic retro icon.

    Eq.

  2. Re: Sumo TV

    Paul E Collins wrote:

    > "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.sumo.tv/video/826715

    > That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font,
    > probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    > he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    > message quite wrong.
    >
    > I wouldn't be so pedantic about this but I don't like people without
    > a clue co-opting the Spectrum as an ironic retro icon.

    Yeah, burn him! Although top marks are clearly due for the impressive
    multicolour effect on the logo graphic. If I hadn't seen it with my own
    eyes, I'd have said it was impossible (especially during loading).
    --
    Chris Cowley

  3. Re: Sumo TV

    Paul E Collins wrote:

    > That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font,
    > probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    > he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    > message quite wrong.
    >
    > I wouldn't be so pedantic about this but I don't like people without
    > a clue co-opting the Spectrum as an ironic retro icon.
    >
    > Eq.

    Hi Paul!

    hmmmm, I see it other.

    'Never use a digital Set, for aerial Speccy-data transfer' :-)

    Hm, a kind of a MP3 loading-problem, IMHO...

    Kind Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

  4. Re: Sumo TV

    On Jan 23, 4:20 pm, "Chris Cowley" wrote:

    > Yeah, burn him! Although top marks are clearly due for the impressive
    > multicolour effect on the logo graphic. If I hadn't seen it with my own
    > eyes, I'd have said it was impossible (especially during loading).

    Well just a bit of fun and these 'idents' don't last long.

    If I hadn't noticed it through an alcoholic haze then I would never
    have found the other ZX Spectrum videos.

    http://www.sumo.tv/video/264753

    and this handsome css regular

    http://www.sumo.tv/video/312466

    The BBC restricts some web content to the UK and/or broadband so if you
    don't see these try the top url

    http://www.sumo.tv

    Wall-to-wall viral videos are not my cup of tea.

  5. Re: Sumo TV

    Doh!

    I didn't notice at first but the others are linked to Google and
    YouTube like the video on my homepage.

    I have no idea who owns Sumo TV. That part of the website is blank.

  6. Re: Sumo TV

    Geoff Wearmouth wrote:

    > On Jan 23, 4:20 pm, "Chris Cowley" wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah, burn him! Although top marks are clearly due for the
    > > impressive multicolour effect on the logo graphic. If I hadn't seen
    > > it with my own eyes, I'd have said it was impossible (especially
    > > during loading).

    > Well just a bit of fun and these 'idents' don't last long.

    Yup, I agree - I was just being silly, not to mention a bit picky. I
    quite like it really, and I doubt anyone outside of CSS and WoS would
    notice the "deliberate errors".

    > If I hadn't noticed it through an alcoholic haze then I would never
    > have found the other ZX Spectrum videos.
    >
    > http://www.sumo.tv/video/264753

    I love that video. I really yearned for something like that on my
    humble speccy after playing with early Macs at computer shows. A
    "dodgy" copy of Art Studio with a QAOPM-controlled mouse pointer was
    the closest I ever got.
    --
    Chris Cowley

  7. Re: Sumo TV

    Paul E Collins wrote:

    > "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.sumo.tv/video/826715

    > That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font,
    > probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    > he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    > message quite wrong.

    The Nintendo font isn't used anywhere it couldn't have been on a real
    Speccy, and the error message uses the correct one. You're right about
    the formatting, though.

    > I wouldn't be so pedantic about this but I don't like people without a
    > clue co-opting the Spectrum as an ironic retro icon.

    Me neither, but this guy does seem to have one. Just not a particularly
    good one.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  8. Re: Sumo TV

    On 23 Jan, 04:34, "Paul E Collins"
    wrote:
    > probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    > he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    > message quite wrong.

    Ah! He's obviously using YS MegaBasic

    > Eq.

  9. Re: Sumo TV

    Paul E Collins wrote:
    > "Geoff Wearmouth" wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.sumo.tv/video/826715

    > That's a bit rubbish. He seems to have used a Nintendo console font,
    > probably the first "retro" one he could find in Google Images, and
    > he's got the positioning and formatting of the filename and error
    > message quite wrong.
    >
    > I wouldn't be so pedantic about this but I don't like people without a
    > clue co-opting the Spectrum as an ironic retro icon.

    The 'Nintendo' font doesn't appear to be during the part of the ident
    that's actually aired - it seems to be in the lead-up part that
    identifies the clip for the purposes of the broadcaster. This part
    wouldn't appear to be, or need to be, trying to look like a Speccy at all.

    The tape loading message being in the wrong place is irritating though.

    --
    Alex Taylor

+ Reply to Thread