+3 repairs - Sinclair

This is a discussion on +3 repairs - Sinclair ; hi folks, can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer reads disks. thanks in advance alex...

  1. +3 repairs

    hi folks,

    can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer reads
    disks.

    thanks in advance

    alex

  2. Re: +3 repairs

    Alex Toft wrote:
    > hi folks,
    >
    > can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer reads
    > disks.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > alex

    http://www.pcwking1.netfirms.com/address.html

    JP

  3. Re: +3 repairs

    Thanks for that. I'll drop him an email.

    Alex

  4. Re: +3 repairs

    On 2007-01-22, Alex Toft wrote:

    > can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer
    > reads disks.

    Check the disc spindle is spinning the disc, it's driven from the
    motor by a rubber belt like in an old tape deck, and this expires with
    age. It's simple to replace, Maplin sell tape-deck belt repair kits,
    I can't remember which one fitted mine but once sorted it ran fine.

    If you've already checked and it's spinning the disc then it's
    obviously more complicated ;-)

  5. Re: +3 repairs

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-01-22, Alex Toft wrote:
    >

    >>can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer
    >>reads disks.

    > Check the disc spindle is spinning the disc, it's driven from the
    > motor by a rubber belt like in an old tape deck, and this expires with
    > age. It's simple to replace, Maplin sell tape-deck belt repair kits,
    > I can't remember which one fitted mine but once sorted it ran fine.
    >
    > If you've already checked and it's spinning the disc then it's
    > obviously more complicated ;-)

    There is a little metal pin in a hole in the base plate of an Amstrad 3"
    drive that operates the switch that checks the write protect hole in the
    disk. When you unscrew the circuit board to change the belt, there is
    limited access as the wires on one side are soldered to the board and
    while turning it every which way to get the belt in the right place, its
    very easy to let the pin fall out and loose it without noticing. Dont
    ask how I know this . . .

    You only find out the first time you try to save, everything else works
    fine without the pin :-(

    If you spot it falling out, its just a matter of dropping it back into
    place . . . Otherwise you'll be doing a CSI on the hoover bag.

    ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
    [dot]=.
    *Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.

  6. Re: +3 repairs

    On 2007-01-22, Ian Malcolm wrote:

    > When you unscrew the circuit board to change the belt, there is
    > limited access as the wires on one side are soldered to the board
    > and while turning it every which way to get the belt in the right
    > place, its very easy to let the pin fall out and loose it without
    > noticing. Dont ask how I know this . . .

    I too am aware of this ;-)

    I can't remember how I fixed it now, I think some kind chap in this
    group might have mailed me a replacement, at any rate the drive worked
    fine once the belt and new pin were in.

  7. Re: +3 repairs

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-01-22, Alex Toft wrote:
    >
    >> can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer
    >> reads disks.

    > Check the disc spindle is spinning the disc, it's driven from the
    > motor by a rubber belt like in an old tape deck, and this expires with
    > age. It's simple to replace, Maplin sell tape-deck belt repair kits,
    > I can't remember which one fitted mine but once sorted it ran fine.

    CPC sell the part as AVBELT6. I recently ordered 20, because I have that
    many PCWs lying around, and probably three +3s that need them.

    --
    Alex Taylor.

  8. Re: +3 repairs

    Needs a belt then.

    Brian

    Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Alex Toft" wrote in message
    > hi folks,
    >
    > can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer reads
    > disks.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > alex

  9. Re: +3 repairs

    Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-01-22, Ian Malcolm wrote:
    >

    >>When you unscrew the circuit board to change the belt, there is
    >>limited access as the wires on one side are soldered to the board
    >>and while turning it every which way to get the belt in the right
    >>place, its very easy to let the pin fall out and loose it without
    >>noticing. Dont ask how I know this . . .

    > I too am aware of this ;-)
    >
    > I can't remember how I fixed it now, I think some kind chap in this
    > group might have mailed me a replacement, at any rate the drive worked
    > fine once the belt and new pin were in.

    Just thought that it was a trap that a newbie to drive maintenance like
    Alex should be aware of . . .

    I remember on a later occasion reparing Amstrad PCWs for various
    customers, cutting down brass gimp pins to fit. IIRC belt change was
    35, fitted & tested. I'd do a bare drive for 15 on the same basis. 2
    drive machines were 45. Nice while it lasted, grateful punters that
    appreciated a quick turnaround. Heck we even had a loan PCW8512 for a
    while. The commonest fault after drive trouble on the 8256es was a
    cracked hammer on the daisywheel printer. Probably still got one of
    those hammer kits packed away somewhere left over from when we closed
    the repair shop.

    ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
    [dot]=.
    *Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.

  10. Re: +3 repairs

    In article , zeem or@REMOVETHISntlworld.com> writes
    >Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >> On 2007-01-22, Alex Toft wrote:
    >>
    >>> can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer
    >>> reads disks.

    >> Check the disc spindle is spinning the disc, it's driven from the
    >> motor by a rubber belt like in an old tape deck, and this expires with
    >> age. It's simple to replace, Maplin sell tape-deck belt repair kits,
    >> I can't remember which one fitted mine but once sorted it ran fine.

    >CPC sell the part as AVBELT6.

    At around a quarter the price it looks like.

    I'm looking for a belt for the CD tray on an old Yamaha CD player
    circa 1987. How much should these little square belts be stretched to
    fit? They sell them in 0.5 mm increments in some size ranges.. erk.

    I used to buy stuff from ARD and I'm sure the prices have gone up
    since Farnell bought them and merged them into CPC - just buying up
    the competition.

    --
    Jamie

  11. Re: +3 repairs

    Thanks for all the advice folks.

    As a electronics mong I daren't do anything, although I'm now sure its only
    the belt. Ao I'm sending to Mr. King to sort it for me! Very decent chap he
    is too!

    Cheers,

    Alex

  12. Re: +3 repairs

    On 2007-01-23, Alex Toft wrote:

    > As a electronics mong I daren't do anything, although I'm now sure its only
    > the belt. Ao I'm sending to Mr. King to sort it for me! Very decent chap he
    > is too!

    The belt's rubber, not electric, unless you're a rubber mong too you
    should be able to handle it ;-)

  13. Re: +3 repairs

    Yeah, just a complete mong I reckon. I just play them and arse around with
    BASIC.

    Daren't touch it. It could do with a bit of a service anyway I think!

  14. Re: +3 repairs

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > ... unless you're a rubber mong too ...

    Oo-er!

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  15. Re: +3 repairs

    You might want to try replacing the rubber drivebelt, if you google
    around you should find someone selling these, and this is usually the
    cause of disks not being read correctly or at all....

    Frans

    Alex Toft:
    > hi folks,
    >
    > can anyone recommend someone who does +3 repairs? mine no longer reads

    > disks.
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > alex

  16. Re: +3 repairs

    On Jan 24, 6:20 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > > ... unless you're a rubber mong too ...

    > Oo-er!
    >
    > --
    > Duncan Snowden.

    O.K., I'll bite- wtf is a 'mong' ??

    --
    Blagged? Do me a favor, Tony, speak English. I thought this country
    spawned the f*ck*ng language, and so far nobody seems to speak it. -

  17. Re: +3 repairs

    On 2007-03-18, Tarkin wrote:

    > On Jan 24, 6:20 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    >> Oo-er!

    > O.K., I'll bite- wtf is a 'mong' ??

    Someone who takes just under two months to realise they're confused!

  18. Re: +3 repairs

    On Mar 18, 2:24 pm, Ian Rawlings wrote:
    > On 2007-03-18, Tarkin wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 24, 6:20 pm, Duncan Snowden wrote:
    > >> Oo-er!

    > > O.K., I'll bite- wtf is a 'mong' ??

    > Someone who takes just under two months to realise they're confused!
    >
    > --
    > Blast off and strike the evil Bydo empire!

    Thus, a 'rubber mong' takes two months to realise
    they're made out of rubber?

    --
    Jellybaby?

  19. Re: +3 repairs

    On 2007-03-19, Tarkin wrote:

    > Thus, a 'rubber mong' takes two months to realise
    > they're made out of rubber?

    Correct! Give that man a tube of rubber lubricant.