Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished... - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished... - Sinclair ; Ian Rawlings wrote: > Thankfully they didn't lose it, it arrived today as airmail from the > states, rather oddly. It looks pretty good, I'm about halfway through > it and the only negative thing to say about it really ...

  1. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > Thankfully they didn't lose it, it arrived today as airmail from the
    > states, rather oddly. It looks pretty good, I'm about halfway through
    > it and the only negative thing to say about it really is that they've
    > used an amazingly smelly printing process, I've even had to leave the
    > book alone for a while in order to stop myself choking while reading
    > it ;-)

    Mine arrived today... fortunately I love smelly books so I just dived
    right in

  2. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-17, scottishwildcat@gmail.com wrote:

    > Mine arrived today... fortunately I love smelly books so I just dived
    > right in

    Well you'll be sad to know then that the smell is wearing off after
    just one day, perhaps they can bottle the smell for you like they do
    with "new car smell" car perfumes? They could call it "Eau de New
    Book" and have poncy models on the screen sniffing the speccy book.

  3. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-01-17, scottishwildcat@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Mine arrived today... fortunately I love smelly books so I just dived
    >> right in

    > Well you'll be sad to know then that the smell is wearing off after
    > just one day, perhaps they can bottle the smell for you like they do
    > with "new car smell" car perfumes? They could call it "Eau de New
    > Book" and have poncy models on the screen sniffing the speccy book.

    Probably passed through New York City on the way over. Have pity for me -
    I've got five of the buggers heading my way...

    --
    Nick Humphries, nick@egyptus.co.uk http://www.egyptus.co.uk/
    Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/

  4. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-17, Nick Humphries wrote:

    > Probably passed through New York City on the way over. Have pity for me -
    > I've got five of the buggers heading my way...

    Oh dear, stuff stinky socks up your nose! Either that or hang them on
    a washing line outside for a day, it wears off after a while.

    I'm about 0.75 of the way through it now, I'm currently
    procrastinating instead of working, if I manage to keep this up until
    5 PM then I might just give up and read the rest of the book instead
    of doing something productive.

  5. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    scottishwildcat@gmail.com wrote:
    > Ian Rawlings wrote:
    >
    >> Thankfully they didn't lose it, it arrived today as airmail from the
    >> states, rather oddly. It looks pretty good, I'm about halfway through
    >> it and the only negative thing to say about it really is that they've
    >> used an amazingly smelly printing process, I've even had to leave the
    >> book alone for a while in order to stop myself choking while reading
    >> it ;-)

    > Mine arrived today... fortunately I love smelly books so I just dived
    > right in

    I can heartily recommend this book to any specchum. Received my copy
    yesterday, and it's great!

    Daren

  6. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Still waiting for mine

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-01-17, Nick Humphries wrote:
    >
    >> Probably passed through New York City on the way over. Have pity for me -
    >> I've got five of the buggers heading my way...

    > Oh dear, stuff stinky socks up your nose! Either that or hang them on
    > a washing line outside for a day, it wears off after a while.
    >
    > I'm about 0.75 of the way through it now, I'm currently
    > procrastinating instead of working, if I manage to keep this up until
    > 5 PM then I might just give up and read the rest of the book instead
    > of doing something productive.

  7. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    I'm one of those in the U.S. I will patiently wait for mine, but some
    kind of acknowledgment after receiveing my email (the one that had the
    paypal transaction id and my address) would be nice, if possible.

  8. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-21, zxbruno wrote:

    > I'm one of those in the U.S. I will patiently wait for mine, but some
    > kind of acknowledgment after receiveing my email (the one that had the
    > paypal transaction id and my address) would be nice, if possible.

    Sending emails to the US is expensive, first they have to be saved to
    C16 tape then posted air-mail before being played back at the other
    end, so it can take a while.

  9. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Ian Rawlings did eloquently scribble:
    > On 2007-01-21, zxbruno wrote:

    >> I'm one of those in the U.S. I will patiently wait for mine, but some
    >> kind of acknowledgment after receiveing my email (the one that had the
    >> paypal transaction id and my address) would be nice, if possible.

    > Sending emails to the US is expensive, first they have to be saved to
    > C16 tape then posted air-mail before being played back at the other
    > end, so it can take a while.

    Tsk. get with the 21st century. We have wires across the atlantic.
    All you have to do is phone someone over there and read them the hex-dump.
    Maybe slightly more expensive, but it'll only take a few hours rather than a
    few days by airmail.
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  10. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-21, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Tsk. get with the 21st century. We have wires across the atlantic.
    > All you have to do is phone someone over there and read them the hex-dump.
    > Maybe slightly more expensive, but it'll only take a few hours rather than a
    > few days by airmail.

    Tapes are more accurate as you don't have to deal with accent issues,
    or accusations of witchcraft from our fundamentalist friends on the
    other side of the atlantic when you mention hex. Or the inevitable
    well-meaning but misguided "How's it going, bloke!" or put up with
    Monty Python gags every few lines...

  11. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-01-21, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> Tsk. get with the 21st century. We have wires across the atlantic.
    >> All you have to do is phone someone over there and read them the hex-dump.
    >> Maybe slightly more expensive, but it'll only take a few hours rather than a
    >> few days by airmail.

    > Tapes are more accurate as you don't have to deal with accent issues,
    > or accusations of witchcraft from our fundamentalist friends on the
    > other side of the atlantic when you mention hex. Or the inevitable
    > well-meaning but misguided "How's it going, bloke!" or put up with
    > Monty Python gags every few lines...

    But planes go missing in storms. They're only made of balsa covered in
    linen, you know.

    The wire hardly ever breaks.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  12. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Duncan Snowden did eloquently scribble:
    > Ian Rawlings wrote:

    >> On 2007-01-21, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tsk. get with the 21st century. We have wires across the atlantic.
    >>> All you have to do is phone someone over there and read them the hex-dump.
    >>> Maybe slightly more expensive, but it'll only take a few hours rather than a
    >>> few days by airmail.

    >> Tapes are more accurate as you don't have to deal with accent issues,
    >> or accusations of witchcraft from our fundamentalist friends on the
    >> other side of the atlantic when you mention hex. Or the inevitable
    >> well-meaning but misguided "How's it going, bloke!" or put up with
    >> Monty Python gags every few lines...

    > But planes go missing in storms. They're only made of balsa covered in
    > linen, you know.

    > The wire hardly ever breaks.

    And lightning can wipe magnetic tape too, so even if it misses the plane the
    tape can go poof...
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  13. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-21, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > And lightning can wipe magnetic tape too, so even if it misses the plane the
    > tape can go poof...

    Yes but if it hits the wire, it'll set fire to the tractor-fed
    printouts on which the hex dumps are stored, and where would you be
    then eh? Hmm?

  14. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    :|

  15. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    Your all wrong! Microdrives is the way to send things!

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-01-21, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> And lightning can wipe magnetic tape too, so even if it misses the plane
    >> the tape can go poof...

    > Yes but if it hits the wire, it'll set fire to the tractor-fed
    > printouts on which the hex dumps are stored, and where would you be
    > then eh? Hmm?

  16. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    RND did eloquently scribble:
    > Your all wrong! Microdrives is the way to send things!

    tsk... NOW you're getting into science fiction!
    Name one person who has one of those new fangled microdrive thingies.
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  17. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    On 2007-01-23, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > tsk... NOW you're getting into science fiction!
    > Name one person who has one of those new fangled microdrive thingies.

    I would say "Me!" but I'd be lying, as I have two, so count me out.

  18. Re: (Advert - kind of) The ZX Spectrum book is finished...

    I still have mine but sadly the speccy is dead

    btw received book in good condition this morning!!

    Ian Rawlings wrote:

    > On 2007-01-23, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >> tsk... NOW you're getting into science fiction!
    >> Name one person who has one of those new fangled microdrive thingies.

    > I would say "Me!" but I'd be lying, as I have two, so count me out.

+ Reply to Thread