BBC Basic Source Code - Sinclair

This is a discussion on BBC Basic Source Code - Sinclair ; Hi Speccyz Does anyone know if the source code of BBC Basic (z80 :-)) is avaliable for download somewhere! Need for a BBC Basic platform conversion project :-) /Regards, CPCLER...

  1. BBC Basic Source Code

    Hi Speccyz

    Does anyone know if the source code of BBC Basic (z80 :-)) is avaliable
    for download somewhere!
    Need for a BBC Basic platform conversion project :-)

    /Regards,
    CPCLER

  2. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    cpcler wrote:
    > Hi Speccyz
    >
    > Does anyone know if the source code of BBC Basic (z80 :-)) is avaliable
    > for download somewhere!
    > Need for a BBC Basic platform conversion project :-)

    No, it isn't, because it's still a current product, on sale in new
    computers. It's part of the intellectual property associated with
    RISC OS computers, which are still being made as both real
    hardware products and in the form of a commercial emulator.

    Whether the BBC Basic source is made available as part of
    the RISC OS Open project, however, remains to be seen.
    For more information visit .

    The project hasn't quite got underway yet, so not all of the
    site works and there isn't any source code to see at present,
    but it should get going before long.

  3. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    That explains!

    Just wondering, how the port of BBC Basic was done without the source?
    :-o

    Looking forward to the source, when it gets online, then :-)

    /Regards
    cpcler

    Richard Hallas skrev:
    > cpcler wrote:
    > > Hi Speccyz
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if the source code of BBC Basic (z80 :-)) is avaliable
    > > for download somewhere!
    > > Need for a BBC Basic platform conversion project :-)

    > No, it isn't, because it's still a current product, on sale in new
    > computers. It's part of the intellectual property associated with
    > RISC OS computers, which are still being made as both real
    > hardware products and in the form of a commercial emulator.
    >
    > Whether the BBC Basic source is made available as part of
    > the RISC OS Open project, however, remains to be seen.
    > For more information visit .
    >
    > The project hasn't quite got underway yet, so not all of the
    > site works and there isn't any source code to see at present,
    > but it should get going before long.

  4. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    Richard Hallas wrote:
    > cpcler wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Speccyz
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if the source code of BBC Basic (z80 :-)) is avaliable
    >>for download somewhere!
    >>Need for a BBC Basic platform conversion project :-)

    > No, it isn't, because it's still a current product, on sale in new
    > computers. It's part of the intellectual property associated with
    > RISC OS computers, which are still being made as both real
    > hardware products and in the form of a commercial emulator.

    But each version was hand-coded in assembler, wasn't it? In which case:
    a) opening up the source code to the Z80 version wouldn't have any
    enormous implications on the commercial value of the RISC OS one;
    b) disassembling the binary will get you something relatively close to
    the original source code (more so than if it had been written in
    something higher-level, anyway)

    In view of b), and the fact that the documentation from the free
    downloadable version on http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/ gives plenty of
    pointers on customising the code, I'd say it couldn't hurt to drop Mr
    Russell a line and ask if the source is available.

    Alternatively, wait here a bit longer and J.G.Harston will probably pop
    up with the answers...

  5. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    cpcler wrote:
    > Does anyone know if the source code of BBC BASIC (z80 :-)) is avaliable
    > for download somewhere!

    Yes I know, and no it isn't and will not be.

    > Need for a BBC BASIC platform conversion project :-)

    No, you don't. All you need to do is write the interface code
    between BBC BASIC and the host system. See
    http://mdfs.net/Software/Spectrum/BBCBasic

    Contact me direct if you need assistance.

    --
    JGH - mdfs.net
    BBC BASIC for 30+ platforms - http://mdfs.net/Software/BBCBasic

  6. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    cpcler wrote:
    > Just wondering, how the port of BBC Basic was done without the source?

    Richard wrote BBC BASIC Z80 from the specification of BBC BASIC 6502,
    which he had a major part in specifying, not from the 6502 source.

    Richard then wrote BBC BASIC 86 by passing the source for BBC BASIC Z80
    through a Z80->86 source convertor, and then modified the resultant
    80x86
    source code.

    --
    JGH - mdfs.net

  7. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    Just to make a few points clear:

    BBC Basic Z80 is copyright RT Russell. It is available for free
    download in a variety of formats from his own website. But the source
    isn't, and Richard no longer has it. That doesn't mean no-one has a
    copy of it, but it's not available on the web. As JGH points out, it is
    possible to port BBC Basic to other platforms without the source,
    however it would be polite to ask permission from RT Russell before you
    do so.

  8. Re: BBC Basic Source Code

    cheveron@gmail.com wrote:
    > copy of it, but it's not available on the web. As JGH points out, it is
    > possible to port BBC Basic to other platforms without the source,
    > however it would be polite to ask permission from RT Russell before you
    > do so.

    I'm not sure you're using the correct analogy. My 'port' to the
    Spectrum is simply a piece of code that sits between "BBC BASIC
    for the Acorn Z80 CoProcessor with BBC File I/O" and the Spectrum
    ROM. BBC BASIC doesn't know or care what the code it calls ends
    up doing. It's a bit like saying you need permission from Microsoft
    before you write a printer driver that MSWord can use. Or you need
    permission from Digital Research to write a BIOS that CP/M can use.
    Or you need permission from Sinclair Research to point a stream at
    some of your own code.

    --
    JGH - mdfs.net

+ Reply to Thread