Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs - Sinclair

This is a discussion on Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs - Sinclair ; Daniel Mandic did eloquently scribble: > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote: >> It is a derogatory statement on the quality of american tv pictures >> in which people had green faces and leaves and grass were often red >> on a tv with ...

  1. Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs

    Daniel Mandic did eloquently scribble:
    > spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> It is a derogatory statement on the quality of american tv pictures
    >> in which people had green faces and leaves and grass were often red
    >> on a tv with bad reception.

    > Hi Spike!

    > I am sure the American can develope an analog-videosystem with
    > outstanding three-dimensional effect. One of the hopeful countries,
    > concerning analogue stuff, IMHO.

    WTF are you on?
    NTSC was developed in the 1950s or 60s, not the 2000s. They made their bed
    and they had to sleep in it once all the TVs were sold. They couldn't just
    move to a new system without totally pissing everyone off. TVs were very
    expensive back then. Usually a few month's wages worth.

  2. Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    >> Daniel Mandic did eloquently scribble:

    >> I am sure the American can develope an analog-videosystem with
    >> outstanding three-dimensional effect. One of the hopeful countries,
    >> concerning analogue stuff, IMHO.

    > WTF are you on?
    > NTSC was developed in the 1950s or 60s, not the 2000s. They made their bed
    > and they had to sleep in it once all the TVs were sold. They couldn't just
    > move to a new system without totally pissing everyone off. TVs were very
    > expensive back then. Usually a few month's wages worth.

    By all accounts, Baird had a working 3D system in the '40s.

    My guess is that it was actually pseudo-3D using a parabolic mirror,
    like that Sega arcade game a few years back (not least because his early
    mechanical TVs were often viewed through mirrors, and he might have
    stumbled upon the effect more or less by accident).

    But we'll never know, because he took the secret with him...
    TO THE GRAAAAAVE...

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

  3. Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs

    Duncan Snowden did eloquently scribble:
    >> WTF are you on?
    >> NTSC was developed in the 1950s or 60s, not the 2000s. They made their bed
    >> and they had to sleep in it once all the TVs were sold. They couldn't just
    >> move to a new system without totally pissing everyone off. TVs were very
    >> expensive back then. Usually a few month's wages worth.

    > By all accounts, Baird had a working 3D system in the '40s.

    > My guess is that it was actually pseudo-3D using a parabolic mirror,
    > like that Sega arcade game a few years back (not least because his early
    > mechanical TVs were often viewed through mirrors, and he might have
    > stumbled upon the effect more or less by accident).

    > But we'll never know, because he took the secret with him...
    > TO THE GRAAAAAVE...

    Baird's system was pretty useless when you think about it. Proof of concept
    it was ok I suppose but to put it into production..? nah.
    Farnsworth had the right idea. Of course, his descendent will go on to
    invent a few useless things himself...

  4. Re: a question about Timex Sinclairs

    spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:

    > Baird's system was pretty useless when you think about it. Proof of concept
    > it was ok I suppose but to put it into production..? nah.

    He accepted that himself. His later work was in developing the
    electronic system that beat him. That's when the rumoured 3D came in.

    --
    Duncan Snowden.

+ Reply to Thread