KAShare Appletalk server? - SGI

This is a discussion on KAShare Appletalk server? - SGI ; Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the Irix programs CD is limited in function....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: KAShare Appletalk server?

  1. KAShare Appletalk server?

    Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the
    product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the
    Irix programs CD is limited in function.

  2. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    Steven Hirsch writes:

    > Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the
    > product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the
    > Irix programs CD is limited in function.


    I'd probably try compiling netatalk (which is free) instead...?

    --
    Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    +358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
    < URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

  3. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > Steven Hirsch writes:
    >
    >> Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the
    >> product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the
    >> Irix programs CD is limited in function.

    >
    > I'd probably try compiling netatalk (which is free) instead...?


    Yes, I use netatalk on my Linux boxes. However, since I have KAServer in my
    hand and it seems to be abandonware I thought I'd try to dig up a key.

  4. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    Steven Hirsch writes:

    > Yes, I use netatalk on my Linux boxes. However, since I have KAServer in my
    > hand and it seems to be abandonware I thought I'd try to dig up a key.


    If you know for a fact that it does something netatalk doesn't or
    does whatever it does better than netatalk, sure. Otherwise I would
    see it as a waste of effort.

    --
    Atro Tossavainen (Mr.) / The Institute of Biotechnology at
    Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish & / the University of Helsinki, Finland,
    +358-9-19158939 UNIX Dinosaur / employs me, but my opinions are my own.
    < URL : http : / / www . helsinki . fi / %7E atossava / > NO FILE ATTACHMENTS

  5. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    Atro Tossavainen wrote:
    > Steven Hirsch writes:
    >
    >> Yes, I use netatalk on my Linux boxes. However, since I have KAServer in my
    >> hand and it seems to be abandonware I thought I'd try to dig up a key.

    >
    > If you know for a fact that it does something netatalk doesn't or
    > does whatever it does better than netatalk, sure. Otherwise I would
    > see it as a waste of effort.


    That's what hobbies always look like to neutral observers, isn't it? :-).



  6. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    KAShare was a great product. Unfortunately, the license key is
    generated based upon the hardware MAC address of the specific system
    upon which the software is used, so if the vendor is no longer
    supporting the product, you are probably out of luck.

    On Aug 11, 6:38 pm, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    > Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the
    > product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the
    > Irix programs CD is limited in function.



  7. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    josehill wrote:
    > KAShare was a great product. Unfortunately, the license key is
    > generated based upon the hardware MAC address of the specific system
    > upon which the software is used, so if the vendor is no longer
    > supporting the product, you are probably out of luck.


    Unless one wants to go to the trouble of modifying the local workstation's MAC
    number to suit. Sounds like a lost cause, but if anyone can give me a working
    tuple of MAC address and license key, I would be appreciative.

    > On Aug 11, 6:38 pm, Steven Hirsch wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a license key for this? The vendor doesn't support the
    >> product anymore and this is just for hobby use. The demo shipped with the
    >> Irix programs CD is limited in function.



  8. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    PS. The license keys are version specific, so if you do get a working
    key for an older version, be careful if you run any IRIX updates, as
    some of the more recent 6.5.x updates will replace older versions of
    KAShare unless you deselect it in the IRIX installer.

  9. Re: KAShare Appletalk server?

    josehill wrote:
    > PS. The license keys are version specific, so if you do get a working
    > key for an older version, be careful if you run any IRIX updates, as
    > some of the more recent 6.5.x updates will replace older versions of
    > KAShare unless you deselect it in the IRIX installer.


    Thanks, but it's probably academic, since I doubt I'll ever come across the
    information :-(.

+ Reply to Thread