Partition blank HD on teal Indigo2 - SGI

This is a discussion on Partition blank HD on teal Indigo2 - SGI ; Hello, I've got a teal Indigo2 Extreme (150Mhz R4400) and from what I understand, the hard drive is completely blank and needs partitioned/formatted/labeled, etc. I've got the IRIX 6.5 base and the 6.5.8 overlay CDs. When I try installing from ...

  1. Partition blank HD on teal Indigo2

    Hello,

    I've got a teal Indigo2 Extreme (150Mhz R4400) and from what I
    understand, the hard drive is completely blank and needs
    partitioned/formatted/labeled, etc. I've got the IRIX 6.5 base and the
    6.5.8 overlay CDs. When I try installing from CD, I get the error:

    "bootfile not set, using default.
    Unable to open "scsi()disk(1)rdisk()partition(8)": no such device"

    and it kicks me back to the menu. I don't have an internal CD-ROM, but I
    do have one connected externally on scsi(1)cdrom(3). 'hinv' shows the
    SCSI HDD on scsi(0)disk(4). I was able to load sash from the CD but
    can't cp the miniroot to dksc(0,4,8). I also don't have another workable
    hard drive from which to boot. How can I access fx or mkfs? Any
    suggestions or websites? I've tried "This old SGI"
    (http://www.martnet.com/~bobd/sgi/4dfaq.html) but still seem to be
    missing something.

    Thanks,
    Brandon

  2. Re: Partition blank HD on teal Indigo2

    Brandon Buckner schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a teal Indigo2 Extreme (150Mhz R4400) and from what I
    > understand, the hard drive is completely blank and needs
    > partitioned/formatted/labeled, etc. I've got the IRIX 6.5 base and the
    > 6.5.8 overlay CDs. When I try installing from CD, I get the error:

    You have to create a partition first before you can beginn with the
    software installation.

    boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sashARCS dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x

    where X is the SCSI controller number, and Y is the SCSI ID of the CDROM
    drive.

    Consider to upgrade to latest 6.5.22 by downloading it from your
    supportfolio (support.sgi.com). Its for free. Keep in mind that you have
    to install Patch 5086 first.

    > "bootfile not set, using default.
    > Unable to open "scsi()disk(1)rdisk()partition(8)": no such device"
    >
    > and it kicks me back to the menu. I don't have an internal CD-ROM, but I
    > do have one connected externally on scsi(1)cdrom(3). 'hinv' shows the
    > SCSI HDD on scsi(0)disk(4). I was able to load sash from the CD but
    > can't cp the miniroot to dksc(0,4,8). I also don't have another workable

    Aeh.... maybe you mixed something up here. Be sure that you jumper the
    disk to ID1 and the CDROM to something like ID4. Double check this with
    a 'hinv -v' from the prom.
    Booting from a different ID than 1 is possible but needs some
    environment variables in the prom to be change first.

    > hard drive from which to boot. How can I access fx or mkfs? Any
    > suggestions or websites? I've tried "This old SGI"
    > (http://www.martnet.com/~bobd/sgi/4dfaq.html) but still seem to be
    > missing something.

    Installation of IRIX 6.5
    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

    later take a look to
    http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/index.php/Category:HowTo

    Nekoware Mips3 Mirror
    http://www.mechanics.citg.tudelft.nl...ekoware-mips3/

    Nekochan Forum
    http://forums.nekochan.net/

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: Partition blank HD on teal Indigo2

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > boot -f dksc(X,Y,8)sashARCS dksc(X,Y,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x
    >
    > where X is the SCSI controller number, and Y is the SCSI ID of the CDROM
    > drive.

    Thank you very much! That's the exact command I was missing. I was able
    to get the hard drive set up and run through the OS install. It's now
    booting to the desktop.

    Thanks again,
    Brandon

+ Reply to Thread