Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications - SGI

This is a discussion on Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications - SGI ; Hello I have noticed a problem while trying to display X clients running on Linux systems with remote display on IRIX 6.5 X server. - Server: IRIX64 6.5.24f X11 Execution Environment, 6.5.24, based on X11R6.6 Default screen #0: dimensions: 1280x1024 ...

  1. Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    Hello

    I have noticed a problem while trying to display X clients
    running on Linux systems with remote display on IRIX 6.5
    X server.

    - Server:

    IRIX64 6.5.24f
    X11 Execution Environment, 6.5.24, based on X11R6.6
    Default screen #0:

    dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (396x297 millimeters)
    resolution: 82x88 dots per inch
    depths (5): 1, 8, 12, 15, 24
    root window id: 0x35
    depth of root window: 24 planes

    - Clients:

    Several recent Linux distributions, for example Mandriva 2008.1
    lib64gdk_pixbuf2.0_0-2.12.5-2mdv2008.1
    gnome-common-2.20.0-2mdv2008.1

    $ gedit
    The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
    The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
    (Details: serial 72 error_code 2 request_code 139 minor_code 1)

    Any idea?

    --
    PGP and other useless info at \
    http://webdiis.unizar.es/~spd/ \

  2. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    "J.A. Gutierrez" spake the secret code
    thusly:

    > Any idea?

    They probably don't know how to deal with a root depth of 24.

    Have you tried it on a screen with a different root depth?

    Legalize Adulthood!

  3. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    On 2008-01-24, J.A. Gutierrez wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed a problem while trying to display X clients
    > running on Linux systems with remote display on IRIX 6.5
    > X server.
    >
    > - Server:
    >
    > IRIX64 6.5.24f
    > X11 Execution Environment, 6.5.24, based on X11R6.6
    > Default screen #0:
    >
    > dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (396x297 millimeters)
    > resolution: 82x88 dots per inch
    > depths (5): 1, 8, 12, 15, 24
    > root window id: 0x35
    > depth of root window: 24 planes
    >
    > - Clients:
    >
    > Several recent Linux distributions, for example Mandriva 2008.1
    > lib64gdk_pixbuf2.0_0-2.12.5-2mdv2008.1
    > gnome-common-2.20.0-2mdv2008.1
    >
    > $ gedit
    > The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
    > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    > The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
    > (Details: serial 72 error_code 2 request_code 139 minor_code 1)

    request_code is 139, which being greater than 127, means that the failed
    request belongs to an X11 extension. First though is that maybe the Xsgi
    server does not support that extension and gedit doesn't check for it
    properly? Aparently major opcode of 139 belongs to the TOG-CUP
    extension, see if that's listed at xdpyinfo of your SGI X server, or not.

    However an unsupported extension opcode would cause a BadRequest, not a
    BadValue, error. BadValue means, as the parenthesis indicates, that one
    of the arguments passed to the specific extension's request is invalid.
    minor_code of 1, means that the request is GetReservedColormapEntries.
    The only value given to that request according to TOG-CUP specification
    (http://www.x.org/docs/Xext/tog-cup.pdf), is the screen number. It's
    highly unlikely that gedit always sends an invalid screen number, and
    X.org lets it get away with that, and it's just Xsgi that barfs...
    Unless it's an endianess issue, which would be an Xlib bug (xorg's
    one)... but that's even more inlikely.
    The best course of action is to send a bug report to gedit with all the
    above information, and see where that leads to. It could be an Xsgi bug,
    so send them an email, if you have a support contract with SGI, and see
    if they care in their current sad state It's a pretty obscure
    extension AFAIK, and a bug might have crept unnoticed.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  4. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    On 2008-01-24, Richard wrote:

    > "J.A. Gutierrez" spake the secret code
    > thusly:
    >
    >> Any idea?

    > They probably don't know how to deal with a root depth of 24.
    >
    > Have you tried it on a screen with a different root depth?

    Very unlikely... most X servers nowadays run with a root depth of 24.
    Any bug of that sort would hit the application developer immediately.

    --
    John Tsiombikas (Nuclear / Mindlapse)
    http://nuclear.sdf-eu.org/

  5. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    J.A. Gutierrez wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have noticed a problem while trying to display X clients
    > running on Linux systems with remote display on IRIX 6.5
    > X server.
    >
    > - Server:
    >
    > IRIX64 6.5.24f
    >
    > $ gedit
    > The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
    > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    > The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
    > (Details: serial 72 error_code 2 request_code 139 minor_code 1)

    I run 6.5.29 on a Fuel, and have no particular problems with gedit served
    from either Solaris or from Linux. The Solaris machines are all running
    the 08/2007 release. The Linux is an old Centos 3.x build running on the
    solaris machines in a Linux zone. Display is via ssh -X, or just with
    xhost+. All these combinations seem to work fine for me.

    Are you able to try other SGI machines, or possibly upgrade to a later
    build of Irix?

    Sorry, not much real help here other than to so that it does work for me,
    sor perhaps there is hope.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  6. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    John Tsiombikas spake the secret code
    thusly:

    >> They probably don't know how to deal with a root depth of 24.
    >>
    >> Have you tried it on a screen with a different root depth?

    >Very unlikely... most X servers nowadays run with a root depth of 24.
    >Any bug of that sort would hit the application developer immediately.

    That's good to know; I haven't done any X11 programming since the
    early 90s. Lots of code was root depth fragile at that time. People
    were just starting to get truecolor root windows.

    Legalize Adulthood!

  7. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    Tristram Scott wrote:
    : J.A. Gutierrez wrote:
    :>
    :> running on Linux systems with remote display on IRIX 6.5
    :> X server.
    :>
    :> - Server:
    :>
    :> IRIX64 6.5.24f
    :>
    :> $ gedit
    :> The program 'gedit' received an X Window System error.
    :> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    :> The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
    :> (Details: serial 72 error_code 2 request_code 139 minor_code 1)
    :>

    : I run 6.5.29 on a Fuel, and have no particular problems with gedit served
    : from either Solaris or from Linux. The Solaris machines are all running

    - Recent gnome 2 libraries seems to rely on some strange
    X extension, which is not implemented on IRIX 6.5.24 (but
    probably is on IRIX 6.5.29)

    - This causes most Linux applications to fail when using
    old X server on SGI ("gedit" was just an example); when
    they should test for the existence of the extension first.
    I guess this means these applications will fail also with
    lots of old X servers; but I haven't tested any other.

    - I will try to upgrade to a more recent IRIX release
    anyway...

    --
    PGP and other useless info at \
    http://webdiis.unizar.es/~spd/ \
    finger://daphne.cps.unizar.es/spd \ Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
    ftp://ivo.cps.unizar.es/pub/ \ (Virgilio)

  8. Re: Problem with Xserver and Gnome applications

    "J.A. Gutierrez" spake the secret code
    thusly:

    > - Recent gnome 2 libraries seems to rely on some strange
    > X extension, which is not implemented on IRIX 6.5.24 (but
    > probably is on IRIX 6.5.29)

    If you can find out which extension they rely on, I would be
    interested in knowing...

    Legalize Adulthood!

+ Reply to Thread